Caterham as a road car

Caterham as a road car

Author
Discussion

Turn7

19,826 posts

185 months

Tuesday 2nd February
quotequote all
Mine, road and occasional (thanks Covid) track use.....

Get a Half hood and leave it on the boot space, jobs a good 'un.



Edited by Turn7 on Tuesday 2nd February 19:42

clarki

Original Poster:

1,139 posts

183 months

Wednesday 3rd February
quotequote all
baconsarney said:
Clarki are you east west or north coast? Just curious.... (I’ve spent time on all three)
On the west coast, near Hunterston Power Station.

Having relocated from essex you can probably understand how much i'm loving the roads round here!!

clarki

Original Poster:

1,139 posts

183 months

Wednesday 3rd February
quotequote all
Turn7 said:
Mine, road and occasional (thanks Covid) track use.....

Get a Half hood and leave it on the boot space, jobs a good 'un.



Edited by Turn7 on Tuesday 2nd February 19:42
That does look fairly epic. Fair play.

Turn7

19,826 posts

185 months

Wednesday 3rd February
quotequote all
Cheers !
Every drive is an occasion...people smile at you,kids love them....

You know you want to....

lord summerisle

8,064 posts

189 months

Wednesday 3rd February
quotequote all
BertBert said:
Glug69 said:
One thing I forgot to say in my previous post, the RF handles bad, uneven roads much better than the Caterham ever did, if the roads are smooth and flat though, the Caterham is better.
Also I had different experiences with different Caterhams. I had chronic bump-steer in one that made bumpy roads completely hellish. Once dialled out, it made a huge difference.

Originally I went from a mk1 mx5 to a caterham as daily driver. I remember my first drive in a caterham which was a test drive that I drove to and back from in my mx5. It felt like a boat on the way back! Also whenever I thought of going lotus I drove my caterham to B&C for the test drive. Never bought the lotus!
Bert
I remember going to test drive an 1.8K series SV and driving there in my mk1 MX5 and afterwards nearly putting the '5 clutch pedal through the footwell as it's clutch was so much lighter (plus the wheel felt massive) hehe

Rick101

6,263 posts

114 months

Wednesday 3rd February
quotequote all
No chance.

Could hardly use it as a weekend car if I'm honest. I thought I'd do the mileage but failed miserably!

Decided to get something more comfortable and went with a V6 Exige. Luxury in comparison!

nunuk

33 posts

31 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
I'm 57 y/o. I bought my Seven at the end of 2019 (a herniated disc kept me from riding motorcycles), I drove the Cat back from Germany to Barcelona in rain half the way, and apart from some harrowing episodes of hydroplaning on the motorway, the trip was epic. Zero complaints at the comfort level, I kept my back intact.

I thought it would be a good substitute for the two wheels fun, which I use to ride an average of about 5/6k kms/year (Saturday's twisties, there's no time for more). I've already put 17,5k km on my Seven, I even use it to go buying bread. I cannot imagine myself without a Seven. My daily amg has run out of battery.

bcr5784

5,461 posts

109 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
Yes and no. Dailied a 7 sans windscreen or heater for 10k miles when I was "your" age and loved it - most of my journeys (as it happened) were on fun B roads. Wouldn't do it again though. Didn't find a subsequent Elise S1 as satisfying. It's an itch thing.

braddo

7,495 posts

152 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
nunuk said:
I'm 57 y/o. I bought my Seven at the end of 2019 (a herniated disc kept me from riding motorcycles), I drove the Cat back from Germany to Barcelona in rain half the way, and apart from some harrowing episodes of hydroplaning on the motorway, the trip was epic. Zero complaints at the comfort level, I kept my back intact.

I thought it would be a good substitute for the two wheels fun, which I use to ride an average of about 5/6k kms/year (Saturday's twisties, there's no time for more). I've already put 17,5k km on my Seven, I even use it to go buying bread. I cannot imagine myself without a Seven. My daily amg has run out of battery.
Top effort!

IMac

59 posts

239 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
My R400 was almost exclusively a road car, with a few driver training sessions. It is a great way to cover miles and I drove from London to Milan on a few occasions. Six speed, roller barrels and 13” wheels so not a typical road spec.

To answer the question around weather. Clothing can help, but the most eye popping drive was in very heavy rain, standing water and M25.....

Perfectly possible to enjoy in all weather, but you may not arrive dry. With regret I never took mine to Scotland, but that was more due to work commitments than the weather.

As a side note. While drive bing through Germany I was followed into the services by a briskly driven Cayenne. The driver came to chat cars and seemed very knowledgeable on power to weight..... his day job, developing the Porsche GT3! Very nice fellow, and a big Caterham fan!

Chicken dinner

3,861 posts

32 months

Friday 26th March
quotequote all
Many many years ago, I ran one as my only car and it quickly became tiresome.
When you wanted to drive it was epic, but when you wanted to pop to the shops it was a pain, I was always very mindful of where i left it.
I quickly bough a second car.

7 as a road car? oh yes
7 as your only road car? nope



PushedDover

3,213 posts

17 months

Friday 26th March
quotequote all
OP, Surely a `Rocketeer' is winking at you ?

Its torturing me !

CharlesElliott

806 posts

246 months

Friday 26th March
quotequote all
This was me racing a Caterham when I was quite good at it!

https://vimeo.com/93830422#t=18m1s

PS I didn’t actually win

Mabbs9

576 posts

182 months

Friday 26th March
quotequote all
CharlesElliott said:
This was me racing a Caterham when I was quite good at it!

https://vimeo.com/93830422#t=18m1s

PS I didn’t actually win
That was great!

Chicken dinner

3,861 posts

32 months

Friday 26th March
quotequote all
Mabbs9 said:
CharlesElliott said:
This was me racing a Caterham when I was quite good at it!

https://vimeo.com/93830422#t=18m1s

PS I didn’t actually win
That was great!
^^^^
wot he said
That was awesome.

When i owned my 7 I was living in St Georges Avenue