PistonHeads.com Forum

Typhon/440R Wanted

Author
Discussion

vmhb

Original Poster:

35 posts

125 months

Tuesday 14th August 2012
quotequote all
I appreciate these cars are fairly thin on the ground so I thought it would be worth a punt asking on here. Anyone interested in selling?


V8 GRF

7,276 posts

130 months

Tuesday 14th August 2012
quotequote all
Try speaking to Str8six they had the T440 for sale a few months ago, the owner might still be interested in selling.

I don't think the other three owners will be willing to part with theirs.

JnP

340 posts

77 months

Tuesday 14th August 2012
quotequote all
The last sold for around 150k if I recall.
If you need a hand for a hold up :-)...

vmhb

Original Poster:

35 posts

125 months

Tuesday 14th August 2012
quotequote all
Thanks for the replies. I don't know much about these cars but from what I have seen on the web I believe Racing Green sold a Typhon in the past for about 100k euros and Str8six failed to sell a 440R for £150K.

I know these cars are rare but I would be interested on the general consenus on their value. £150K does seem an awful lot.

DonkeyApple

26,676 posts

89 months

Tuesday 14th August 2012
quotequote all
The RG one is the one I have. They had one of the Reflex Charcoal ones for a short while but it was eventually bought via another company.

The silver T440 was up at £150. I don't know if the price or the post crash pictures that appeared lead to it not selling.

All the current owners are on PH and listed in an owners thread in the Sag forum I think.

No harm in PMing them. If you don't ask you don't get and you never know.

There was also a guy building one from a left over shell and a Cerb chassis if it's just the look you're after.

My personal view is that once the race cars become eligible for some 'oldtimer' races then values of the 4 road cars will go up. Assuming the world is still paying silly money for cars.

These were the only Tivs built from specific race cars and using different techniques from normal.
Advertisement

Tonto

2,983 posts

168 months

Tuesday 14th August 2012
quotequote all
vmhb said:
Thanks for the replies. I don't know much about these cars but from what I have seen on the web I believe Racing Green sold a Typhon in the past for about 100k euros and Str8six failed to sell a 440R for £150K.

I know these cars are rare but I would be interested on the general consenus on their value. £150K does seem an awful lot.
You can normally see what other cars go for , but that doesn't work here.

The value of a Typhon is exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

vmhb

Original Poster:

35 posts

125 months

Tuesday 14th August 2012
quotequote all
DonkeyApple, I may have seen your car at David Geralds and Caring With Cars?

Tonto I appreciate things are only worth what people are prepared to pay and it is often difficult to value rare cars. What I was hoping to get was a feel for what other people would be prepared to pay so that I can get some perspective on any asking price.

Brummmie

5,184 posts

141 months

Tuesday 14th August 2012
quotequote all
Ah, i saw that car there at Classic World Racing when iu dropped some pads off..

DonkeyApple

26,676 posts

89 months

Tuesday 14th August 2012
quotequote all
vmhb said:
DonkeyApple, I may have seen your car at David Geralds and Caring With Cars?

Tonto I appreciate things are only worth what people are prepared to pay and it is often difficult to value rare cars. What I was hoping to get was a feel for what other people would be prepared to pay so that I can get some perspective on any asking price.
Hi, probably not mine. Mine is the orange one.

As you say, value is subjective.

I've no idea what they are worth. Obviously the Sags form a clear bottom line. I suspect the top would be defined by an overseas buyer in the current market.

quattrophenia

1,090 posts

118 months

Tuesday 14th August 2012
quotequote all
Were these the only cars that TVR built using Carbon fibre, super chargers and tiptronic gearing?

DonkeyApple

26,676 posts

89 months

Tuesday 14th August 2012
quotequote all
quattrophenia said:
Were these the only cars that TVR built using Carbon fibre, super chargers and tiptronic gearing?
They were made completely of CF and honeycombe around a steel frame and full cage. Wind tested etc.

There were two options. NA and SC.

The NA cars went through a series of name changes from TuscanR, T400 before settling on T440.

The SC option was to be called the Typhon.

An option for the Typhon was a sequential gearbox, rather than tiptronic.

An option for both was either rear seats or a long range race tank. By the time production had started they had found a way of getting both into the car so this option was dropped.

In the end, regardless of names all 4 cars are basically the same as the orange one was the only one ever fitted with SC and the sequential box but neither worked.

In the end, NS rebadged the last 3 as Typhons and dropped the T440 brand along with dropping the SC option and the sequential box option.

The sequential box was junked by TVR but my car when I bought it had all the SC kit. I haven't fitted it however as I wanted a car that worked and no one has yet produced an SC S6 that has proven useable and reliable.

RG are doing some very good work on the cooling side of a turbo'd S6 they are building and I will see what the results of that is. I've rebuilt the car to handle the power and torque of the SC engine and so if the turbo engine works well and doesn't have heat issues then I will re-install and update the SC on mine.

I won't fit a sequential box as I use the car for road use and it's just not a suitable product for that.

So, the orange Typhon will go back to being SC in the next couple of years.

RedSpike66

2,304 posts

132 months

Thursday 16th August 2012
quotequote all
DonkeyApple said:
..... I haven't fitted it however as I wanted a car that worked and no one has yet produced an SC S6 that has proven useable and reliable.
Jason at Str8Six runs a Supercharged S6 pumping out approx 500bhp. Developed and built it himself using all theknowledge he gained at the factory (and since) and afaik, has no problems, just a bloody big grin !! The cost of the engine is substantially more than all the other options currently on the market yikes


DonkeyApple

26,676 posts

89 months

Thursday 16th August 2012
quotequote all
RedSpike66 said:
DonkeyApple said:
..... I haven't fitted it however as I wanted a car that worked and no one has yet produced an SC S6 that has proven useable and reliable.
Jason at Str8Six runs a Supercharged S6 pumping out approx 500bhp. Developed and built it himself using all theknowledge he gained at the factory (and since) and afaik, has no problems, just a bloody big grin !! The cost of the engine is substantially more than all the other options currently on the market yikes
The trouble is that it isn't proven useable or reliable. That is only going to happen when a customer monkey has one and uses it. I'm not willing to be the first monkey wink


RedSpike66

2,304 posts

132 months

Thursday 16th August 2012
quotequote all
DonkeyApple said:
RedSpike66 said:
DonkeyApple said:
..... I haven't fitted it however as I wanted a car that worked and no one has yet produced an SC S6 that has proven useable and reliable.
Jason at Str8Six runs a Supercharged S6 pumping out approx 500bhp. Developed and built it himself using all theknowledge he gained at the factory (and since) and afaik, has no problems, just a bloody big grin !! The cost of the engine is substantially more than all the other options currently on the market yikes
The trouble is that it isn't proven useable or reliable. That is only going to happen when a customer monkey has one and uses it. I'm not willing to be the first monkey wink
In that case, I wouldn't say the FFF is really 'proven' unless you can tell me of a few (not just a demo) engines that have done 20k, 30k, 40k miles in customers hands...

I do believe it's a very high quality piece of engineering, and highly likely to go the distance and be a great success, but the 'proof' of the pudding is in the eating, and in the case of an engine, that means several customers with that kind of mileage.

DonkeyApple

26,676 posts

89 months

Friday 17th August 2012
quotequote all
RedSpike66 said:
In that case, I wouldn't say the FFF is really 'proven' unless you can tell me of a few (not just a demo) engines that have done 20k, 30k, 40k miles in customers hands...

I do believe it's a very high quality piece of engineering, and highly likely to go the distance and be a great success, but the 'proof' of the pudding is in the eating, and in the case of an engine, that means several customers with that kind of mileage.
Spot on.

The FFF wasn't proven, not the gen 2. But the original FFF had been out a few years and they'd discovered te issues and the Gen 2 was the rectification. But there are a few differences, firstly that it wasn't doing anything that pushes the bounds and it's a lot cheaper.

I've heard nothing but positive words on Jason's SC. I remember seeing it at a show a while back and it looked stunning but a product is only proven once customers are out there giving it the beans in their style and delivering feed back.

SCing S6 engines simply does not have a good historical track record and I certainly don't wish to be an early adopter on this front unless there is an incentive involved.

spartridge

920 posts

130 months

Friday 17th August 2012
quotequote all
Just FYI I don't think Jason is offering this as a commercial product anyway. He certainly wasn't keen when I was looking at options 18 months ago.

alex_gray255

5,793 posts

125 months

Friday 17th August 2012
quotequote all
spartridge said:
Just FYI I don't think Jason is offering this as a commercial product anyway. He certainly wasn't keen when I was looking at options 18 months ago.
He doesn't. It was an engineering project only.

RedSpike66

2,304 posts

132 months

Friday 17th August 2012
quotequote all
Presented up front with the (enormous) amount of readies required could help with the persuasion.... Damn that lottery winner last week !!

alex_gray255

5,793 posts

125 months

Friday 17th August 2012
quotequote all
RedSpike66 said:
Presented up front with the (enormous) amount of readies required could help with the persuasion.... Damn that lottery winner last week !!
I would just buy another car instead. hehe

TQ3

60 posts

139 months

Friday 17th August 2012
quotequote all
Donkey Apple is absolutely right - engine reliability is the major factor as most other aspects of the Typhon have been well tested on the track. There is no doubt that the finished product was capable of handling more power than a standard TVR straight six engine. I’m no expert but as one of the Typhon owners I can compare its performance to my last ‘everyday car’ (a 997 GT3) and the current (an R8 V10) - the standard Typhon was not competitive.

I opted for a tried and trusted option by going for TVR Power Supersports 4.5 engine upgrade and that has made all the difference – the car now has the pace to match its looks.

As for value, informed opinion suggests £115k is the going rate, but a Typhon is worth what someone will pay for it and if Sagaris prices are anything to go by, that’s unlikely to go down in the near future.