VR

Author
Discussion

Shadow R1

3,253 posts

112 months

Sunday 2nd September
quotequote all
kowalski655 said:
I'm hoping to get a Rift or Vice soon, was just for racing but with ED and subnautica in VR I may play them ,as well as flight sims like IL2,and I think DCS has it too (plus pawn of course;))
Can you play them seated or do you have to move about?
The room the PC is in used to be pretty empty but wife has added sofabed and coffee table,so I can foresee bruised shins in my future
Ed and Subnautica are seated games.

The nvida circus is worth downloading if you get the touch controllers, in that you stand up and throw basket balls through hoops, duck shooting.
You stand in the same spot, but you need the space around to draw a bow etc.

Camelot1971

1,089 posts

102 months

Monday 3rd September
quotequote all
Clockwork Cupcake said:
I recently bought an Oculus Rift bundle (headset, two sensors, and two touch controllers) on somewhat of a whim. I have a PC that is more than capable of driving it.

It's been fun, and fortunately I don't suffer too much from motion sickness apart from simply not being able to cope with roller coaster rides. But BBC's "Home - a VR spacewalk" didn't phase me in the slightest (when seated. I made the mistake of trying it standing, and almost fell over and then felt very nauseous).

There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of good content at the moment though. Titanic VR was fun for a little while, and Together VR was amusing but very short. Other than that I haven't found anything that has really captured me.

Because of the touch controller bundle, I got Robo Recall for free, but it's not really my thing.
Try Lone Echo. It's not very long but it's bloody brilliant if you like space games. I made the same mistake of running the spacewalk standing up too redface

Camelot1971

1,089 posts

102 months

Monday 3rd September
quotequote all
I sold my Oculus Rift as I ran out of games to play and I found the screen door effect too annoying. How anyone can watch films on it boggles my mind - it doesn't come anywhere close to watching a normal 65" 4k TV.

I do think the tech will mature though. When the resolution doubles from the Rift I might jump back in again.

snuffy

4,352 posts

220 months

Monday 8th October
quotequote all
I've finally bought myself a WMR hat, it was rude to leave it at that price:

https://www.box.co.uk/Acer-Windows-Mixed-Reality-H...

I shall report back with my finding when it comes.


Shadow R1

3,253 posts

112 months

Monday 8th October
quotequote all
Just tried the bbc Lancaster experience.

That's worth downloading.
Advertisement

Clockwork Cupcake

57,708 posts

208 months

Monday 8th October
quotequote all
Shadow R1 said:
Just tried the bbc Lancaster experience.

That's worth downloading.
Yes, very much so, if you ignore the clipping and graphical glitches. But definitely worth experiencing. yes

snuffy

4,352 posts

220 months

Monday 8th October
quotequote all
Shadow R1 said:
Just tried the bbc Lancaster experience.

That's worth downloading.
What's that then ? I've just searched and can't find anything.

Clockwork Cupcake

57,708 posts

208 months

Monday 8th October
quotequote all
snuffy said:
What's that then ? I've just searched and can't find anything.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/513490/

1943 Berlin Blitz
"In September 1943, a BBC reporter boarded a plane on an allied bombing raid over Berlin. The incredible recording he returned with forms the basis of this breathtaking experience by BBC Northern Ireland and Immersive VR Education, putting you inside a Lancaster bomber as it navigates a most dangerous journey."

They use actual audio footage from the flight. It is very good - well worth experiencing.

My (very brief) review on Steam:

Pros:
  • Very atmospheric - a really great experience
  • Free
Cons:
  • Lots of clipping and graphical glitches
  • Very short (15 mins)
  • No interaction at all - you are a passive observer
  • The disclaimer at the beginning says "Home - a VR Spacewalk", which is rather poor Quality Control.
  • Left you wanting more
Overall: Recommended.


Edited by Clockwork Cupcake on Monday 8th October 20:56

geeks

3,687 posts

75 months

Monday 8th October
quotequote all
Clockwork Cupcake said:
snuffy said:
What's that then ? I've just searched and can't find anything.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/513490/

1943 Berlin Blitz
"In September 1943, a BBC reporter boarded a plane on an allied bombing raid over Berlin. The incredible recording he returned with forms the basis of this breathtaking experience by BBC Northern Ireland and Immersive VR Education, putting you inside a Lancaster bomber as it navigates a most dangerous journey."

They use actual audio footage from the flight. It is very good - well worth experiencing.

My (very brief) review on Steam:

Pros:
  • Very atmospheric - a really great experience
  • Free
Cons:
  • Lots of clipping and graphical glitches
  • Very short (15 mins)
  • No interaction at all - you are a passive observer
  • The disclaimer at the beginning says "Home - a VR Spacewalk", which is rather poor Quality Control.
  • Left you wanting more
Overall: Recommended.


Edited by Clockwork Cupcake on Monday 8th October 20:56
Downloading now on the Oculus store, will see if it is any different out of there, I have in the past had some issues with the Steam stuff, although not recently to be fair!

snuffy

4,352 posts

220 months

Monday 8th October
quotequote all
Ah thanks, I was looking on the BBC's website, hence I could not find it. Says it does not work with WMR, but I suppose it might do. I shall see in a couple of days.

Shadow R1

3,253 posts

112 months

Tuesday 9th October
quotequote all
I downloaded it from the oculus store.

Clockwork Cupcake

57,708 posts

208 months

Tuesday 9th October
quotequote all
It's on both Steam and Oculus. I've downloaded it from both and it seems identical (unsurprisingly).

geeks

3,687 posts

75 months

Tuesday 9th October
quotequote all
Clockwork Cupcake said:
It's on both Steam and Oculus. I've downloaded it from both and it seems identical (unsurprisingly).
I get the correct opening credits, it is a little glitchy for me as well but still good overall I reckon, room for improvement thought! Hopefully they will update it, that said I still need a better GFX card, while it does the job admirably I do feel it could do with some extra go!

Hilts

3,881 posts

218 months

Tuesday 9th October
quotequote all
Having a few issues with my rift. In a few games I seem to be sitting lower than I should be like in Epic Roller-coasters and Dirt Rally. Tried re-calibration but the same thing occurs.

Any ideas?

Clockwork Cupcake

57,708 posts

208 months

Tuesday 9th October
quotequote all
Hilts said:
Having a few issues with my rift. In a few games I seem to be sitting lower than I should be like in Epic Roller-coasters and Dirt Rally. Tried re-calibration but the same thing occurs.

Any ideas?
I get that too. Seems to be pretty hit and miss, sadly. Sometimes the re-calibration works, sometimes restarting everything does it.


geeks

3,687 posts

75 months

Tuesday 9th October
quotequote all
Some/Most games have a hotkey for resetting your view, have a look in the settings for it!

Number_Six

103 posts

39 months

Tuesday 9th October
quotequote all
I've a Rift running off a 1080Ti. Only problem is finding time to play it, so it's a bit of a white elephant for me. Lone Echo as mentioned above is a fantastic experience, loved Robo Recall and Eve Valkyrie too, especially the latter.

Also, if you have a beefy graphics card the Oculus Tray Tool allows you to mess around with the sampling settings so you can tweak game settings until your card complains - this is the current release and it's pretty straightforward to use:

http://bit.ly/2Imetlm

Hilts

3,881 posts

218 months

Tuesday 9th October
quotequote all
Clockwork Cupcake said:
Hilts said:
Having a few issues with my rift. In a few games I seem to be sitting lower than I should be like in Epic Roller-coasters and Dirt Rally. Tried re-calibration but the same thing occurs.

Any ideas?
I get that too. Seems to be pretty hit and miss, sadly. Sometimes the re-calibration works, sometimes restarting everything does it.
I've tried standing up in Epic-rollercoasters which if you've ever tried it is is not ideal!

FunkyNige

6,348 posts

211 months

Wednesday 10th October
quotequote all
snuffy said:
I've finally bought myself a WMR hat, it was rude to leave it at that price:

https://www.box.co.uk/Acer-Windows-Mixed-Reality-H...

I shall report back with my finding when it comes.
Ooo, at that price (£200), VR is finally looking tempting.

Clockwork Cupcake

57,708 posts

208 months

Wednesday 10th October
quotequote all
Hilts said:
I've tried standing up in Epic-rollercoasters which if you've ever tried it is is not ideal!
I can't even cope with rollercoasters sitting down! It's the one thing I can't cope with in VR. Oddly, "Home - a VR spacewalk" didn't give me any nausea (when seated), but even seated rollercoasters are "all aboard the chunder wagon" for me. smile