VR

Author
Discussion

Chris Type R

6,367 posts

217 months

Sunday 24th January
quotequote all
kowalski655 said:
And if connecting to a PC you can use a generic USB C cable for£20 rather than the official£80 one
There's also the option of using Virtual Desktop and a wifi 6 solution. Untethered is just so much better than tethered (for me anyway).

kowalski655

12,178 posts

111 months

Sunday 24th January
quotequote all
I didn't know that.
Is it fast enough to stream games?

bloomen

4,232 posts

127 months

Sunday 24th January
quotequote all
Some people reckon it's faster than tethered. You need to get your PC on an ethernet connection to clear the airwaves and you have to be in the same room as the router.

Chris Type R

6,367 posts

217 months

Sunday 24th January
quotequote all
kowalski655 said:
I didn't know that.
Is it fast enough to stream games?
Not used it myself as my Q2 doesn't get enough use - YT overview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRPpdwccb2U

Lim

2,274 posts

10 months

Sunday 24th January
quotequote all
bloomen said:
Some people reckon it's faster than tethered. You need to get your PC on an ethernet connection to clear the airwaves and you have to be in the same room as the router.
It seems faster to me, though I have a relatively crappy cable, cost 16 quid I think. So it might not be a fair comparison.

Certainly it's not so much worse, you would consider trading off the mobility. The cable compresses too so it's not like there is no compromise going tethered.

It's definitely good enough to stream games yes.

Baldinho

522 posts

182 months

Sunday 24th January
quotequote all
And one of these:

https://vrcover.com/item/facial-interface-foam-rep...

Just got one as well as the elite strap and battery and it's a much better and more comfortable fit now.

Dog Star

12,777 posts

136 months

Monday 25th January
quotequote all
Morning all - couple of questions for fellow Quest 2 users here; I've scarcely touched mine and I really want to get cracking, especially as I've seen that Doom 3 is ported and that looks fun.


USB C cables - do I just need a decent quality "standard" lead? Even £20 sounds hellish steep when normal micro ones are pennies and I've never had problems with those.

PC spec - my PC is knocking on a bit now, and basically sits under my desk with all my media on it an a Plex server. Not had to buy a decent spec PC in a loooong time since I moved over to gaming on console. It's also in the office which is no use really.

What kind of spec do I need to run some of the tethered stuff on? I'd rather a laptop as I don't want a PC in the lounge (and Mrs DS won't wear that either).

I've a laptop which is a Dell Latitude E5550 which has an u5-5200U CPU @ 2.2GHz. 16Gb memory. Despite my occupation I'm embarrassed to say that I am so far behind on PC processors that I have no idea if that is any use.

Any pointers that don't involve sinking a fortune into a new PC?

RizzoTheRat

21,022 posts

160 months

Monday 25th January
quotequote all
I'd expect the graphics card to be the main problem with trying to run it on a laptop, rather than the processor. Onboard graphics (intel HD watever) on non gaming laptops aren't going to cut it. Minimum spec is a GTX970, which isn't a particular high spec in terms of gaming PCs (4 generations old now), but for a laptop means a proper gaming spec one.

Pretty sure that's a lower minimum spec than my Rift though, so presumably it still does some of the graphics work onboard when tethered.

Dog Star

12,777 posts

136 months

Monday 25th January
quotequote all
RizzoTheRat said:
I'd expect the graphics card to be the main problem with trying to run it on a laptop, rather than the processor. Onboard graphics (intel HD watever) on non gaming laptops aren't going to cut it. Minimum spec is a GTX970, which isn't a particular high spec in terms of gaming PCs (4 generations old now), but for a laptop means a proper gaming spec one.

Pretty sure that's a lower minimum spec than my Rift though, so presumably it still does some of the graphics work onboard when tethered.
Yep, I was just checking online when you answered. I wasn't sure how it would work. Shame the Quest can't do the "heavy lifting" graphics-wise.
Annoying, as a decent gaming PC is going to be getting on four figures.

The dream ticket would be Xbox connectivity.

Baldinho

522 posts

182 months

Monday 25th January
quotequote all
Dog Star said:
Morning all - couple of questions for fellow Quest 2 users here; I've scarcely touched mine and I really want to get cracking, especially as I've seen that Doom 3 is ported and that looks fun.


USB C cables - do I just need a decent quality "standard" lead? Even £20 sounds hellish steep when normal micro ones are pennies and I've never had problems with those.

PC spec - my PC is knocking on a bit now, and basically sits under my desk with all my media on it an a Plex server. Not had to buy a decent spec PC in a loooong time since I moved over to gaming on console. It's also in the office which is no use really.

What kind of spec do I need to run some of the tethered stuff on? I'd rather a laptop as I don't want a PC in the lounge (and Mrs DS won't wear that either).

I've a laptop which is a Dell Latitude E5550 which has an u5-5200U CPU @ 2.2GHz. 16Gb memory. Despite my occupation I'm embarrassed to say that I am so far behind on PC processors that I have no idea if that is any use.

Any pointers that don't involve sinking a fortune into a new PC?
I got this 5m one and it works perfectly. Use a velcro strap attached to the side strap on the headset when you're using so it doesn't put strain on the USB socket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0879DGZ5W/ref...

LotusJas

1,188 posts

199 months

Monday 25th January
quotequote all
Wireless over wifi seems to be the optimal method.

Dog Star

12,777 posts

136 months

Monday 25th January
quotequote all
Baldinho said:
I got this 5m one and it works perfectly. Use a velcro strap attached to the side strap on the headset when you're using so it doesn't put strain on the USB socket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0879DGZ5W/ref...
I theng kewe!

Looks like my pc is way underpowered anyway, but I’ve ordered one so I can load up Doom 3 which is getting some rave reviews.

J4CKO

34,164 posts

168 months

Monday 25th January
quotequote all
Beat Sabre, brilliant game but proves what an uncoordinated dollop with the reactions of an elderly stoned Sloth I really am.

Was going to go on just now, but made the mistake do doing that last night and was still slashing at little neon read and blue blocks as I went to sleep and woke myself up biggrin much to the wifes disgust I woke her up, particularly annoying for her as the night before I had been walking on very icy roads and that nights pre sleep jolt was me thinking I had slipped, not done that for ages and now doing consecutive nights.

Lucas Ayde

2,552 posts

136 months

Wednesday 27th January
quotequote all
bloomen said:
PSVRs are getting cheaper all the time. Look at places like Cash Converters and they're hitting the £100 mark for second hand ones.

It is impressive but it's such a faff that I only used one a few times before selling it. I'll wait a couple more generations before sampling it again but it does provide some amazing moments.

They'll all be crap for watching video.

Phone based VR will have more way, way more apps than PSVR so maybe stick to that if you're more into exploring.
PSVR is amazingly good for the price (assumes you will already have a PS4 or better yet, PS4 Pro, of course).

That said, since I got the Quest 2 I just haven't gone back to it. Totally different experience when you have a tether-less system that you can just pick up and play. As you say, The faff level is high with PSVR, largely thanks to their crap tracking tech and bulky connection cables (and external processor box for the headset). I had all manner of tracking issues with my PSVR headset - on a lot of stuff I would find myself very slowly 'rotating' in the game world. Really annoying.


Dog Star

12,777 posts

136 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
Well my cable arrived so I put the Doom 3 VR onto my Quest 2

It looks bloody amazing really, I can’t fathom how they have converted it.

I’d love to be able to play it, HOWEVER the second I move I just start to feel very queasy indeed, uncanny. About 20 seconds was as much as I could stand, nausea, sweating, and I felt queasy for a good couple of hours afterwards.

SturdyHSV

8,237 posts

135 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
Dog Star said:
Well my cable arrived so I put the Doom 3 VR onto my Quest 2

It looks bloody amazing really, I can’t fathom how they have converted it.

I’d love to be able to play it, HOWEVER the second I move I just start to feel very queasy indeed, uncanny. About 20 seconds was as much as I could stand, nausea, sweating, and I felt queasy for a good couple of hours afterwards.
Apologies if you've had VR for ages, but if not, jumping straight in to a full locomotion type of game is going to be very challenging. You need to get your VR legs with some milder experiences, build up your tolerance over time.

Apparently if you try to power through and just deal with the sickness, it'll actually set you back more, you want little and often without making yourself feel ill.

I mostly used it for driving games and certain elements of those made me feel a bit weird (going backwards then coming to a stop or suddenly bumping up an incline) but got totally used to it over time and can tolerate mostly anything now. Even so, things like Pavlov VR (think Goldeneye but VR) can still give a slightly 'odd' sensation at times, I'm sure if I'd tried that when I first got the Oculus (Rift CV1) I'd have felt awful hehe

Dog Star

12,777 posts

136 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
SturdyHSV said:
Apologies if you've had VR for ages, but if not, jumping straight in to a full locomotion type of game is going to be very challenging. You need to get your VR legs with some milder experiences, build up your tolerance over time.
No, I'm a complete noob, it's not something I'd have considered buying tbh as it wasn't on my radar. My next door neighbour got it me as a present. I think he's trying to butter me up cos he wants to build a nuclear reactor at the bottom of the garden or something.

I need to look at a driving game then.

The only thing comparable to Doom in terms of feeling sick was the ISS app. I managed about five seconds of that.

I wonder if seasick tablets would help?


Sy1441

814 posts

128 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
Oculus Quest 2 incoming.

Best games to try?

Dog Star

12,777 posts

136 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
Sy1441 said:
Oculus Quest 2 incoming.

Best games to try?
Doom 3 VR
Richies Plank Experience evidently

Bullett

9,926 posts

152 months

Thursday 28th January
quotequote all
Beat Saber
Superhot

Try VR experiences where you are rooted to your position, so something with a cockpit like a racing game or flight sim your brain understand the body is still but the world is moving under those circumstances.

Or something static, standing where your physical movement matches the action on screen like the above.

Final type is use teleport movement option. It's not realistic but it doesn't make you feel sick. Arizona Sunshine (zombie shooter) does this well.

Some games also implement smooth locomotion better than others, Alyx for example is excellent as you'd expect from Valve, some of the smaller studios don't quite get it right. You also need very high frame rates for less sick inducing motion, not sure what the Quest runs at for this so could also be a consideration.

An option on PC which may work with Q2 is the Kat Loco S type solution in which you strap sensors to your ankles and waist and then jog on the spot to move. I've been playing Alyx like this and it's really effective and much better than teleport or smooth locomotion.