Old NW car dealers

Old NW car dealers

Author
Discussion

Wacky Racer

34,129 posts

211 months

Tuesday 31st December 2019
quotequote all
vitessesteve said:
I have read this thread with great interest. My particular interest is in garages that sold Standard and or Triumph cars.

I have written several blog posts about dealers in the North West such as Hollingdrake of Stockport: http://vitessesteve.blogspot.com/2019/02/hollingdr...

I have several dealer directories and have done a post that lists dealers in Manchester over the years: http://vitessesteve.blogspot.com/2018/12/triumph-c...
My best friend's dad used to have a small Standard Triumph dealership on Ashton New Road, Audenshaw in the 1950/60's..Bancroft Motors.

He used to race TR4's and Morgans.

Son Nigel (My mate) has a garage in nearby Stalybridge, and probably knows more about TR5's and 6's than anyone in the country, having worked on them for fifty years.

ginettajoe

2,100 posts

182 months

Tuesday 31st December 2019
quotequote all
Wacky Racer said:
vitessesteve said:
I have read this thread with great interest. My particular interest is in garages that sold Standard and or Triumph cars.

I have written several blog posts about dealers in the North West such as Hollingdrake of Stockport: http://vitessesteve.blogspot.com/2019/02/hollingdr...

I have several dealer directories and have done a post that lists dealers in Manchester over the years: http://vitessesteve.blogspot.com/2018/12/triumph-c...
My best friend's dad used to have a small Standard Triumph dealership on Ashton New Road, Audenshaw in the 1950/60's..Bancroft Motors.

He used to race TR4's and Morgans.

Son Nigel (My mate) has a garage in nearby Stalybridge, and probably knows more about TR5's and 6's than anyone in the country, having worked on them for fifty years.
...... "Barmy Bancroft"!!

droopsnoot

8,606 posts

206 months

Wednesday 1st January 2020
quotequote all
Charles 123 said:
Slaters Colwyn Bay
Slaters became very big, didn't they? When I used to go up there in the 90s I think virtually every manufacturers main agent was part of the Slaters group.

There was Braids in Colwyn Bay as well, at one point my Grandmother had a flat opposite their place and I recall visiting here and seeing stuff like Rolls-Royce in there. One of those dealers where it was basically a normal shop that had the front wall knocked out and a big window fitted in place.

RossCampbellRoss

12 posts

10 months

Friday 3rd July 2020
quotequote all
Does anybody have any photographs of Jag House at the Rocket at all?

RossCampbellRoss

12 posts

10 months

Friday 3rd July 2020
quotequote all
Ryders - Knowsley Rd, Bootle / Seaforth


RossCampbellRoss

12 posts

10 months

Friday 3rd July 2020
quotequote all
Former Brazier Bros (Peugeot) premises, Ellesmere Port...


RossCampbellRoss

12 posts

10 months

Saturday 4th July 2020
quotequote all
Ron Hodgson's former premises at Dingle Road, Upholland.


RossCampbellRoss

12 posts

10 months

Saturday 4th July 2020
quotequote all
A nice 1998 Escort still on the Wirral with 'Blakes' number plate...




RossCampbellRoss

12 posts

10 months

Saturday 4th July 2020
quotequote all
Fairway Ford, still going in Fazakerley with a nice white 90s Escort cabriolet in the showroom...


RossCampbellRoss

12 posts

10 months

Saturday 4th July 2020
quotequote all
My favourite car showroom... The former Jaguar House (and now Hatfields) in Liverpool.

I'd love to see a photo of the old Jag Hse at the Rocket if anybody has one.


RossCampbellRoss

12 posts

10 months

Saturday 4th July 2020
quotequote all
The former Lifes Morgan showroom in Southport town centre. I believe the business now shares premises in Banks with a Lotus specialist, but isn't an official Morgan dealer.


Frankthered

1,444 posts

144 months

Saturday 4th July 2020
quotequote all
RossCampbellRoss said:
The former Lifes Morgan showroom in Southport town centre. I believe the business now shares premises in Banks with a Lotus specialist, but isn't an official Morgan dealer.

It would appear, according to their Facebook page, that they have moved back into the premises in Southport as of May 15th.

For some strange reason, this makes me very happy.

Frankthered

1,444 posts

144 months

Saturday 4th July 2020
quotequote all
RossCampbellRoss said:
Ron Hodgson's former premises at Dingle Road, Upholland.

I had an MOT done there once! In between it being owned by the business that built the Beauford kit car and it becoming Ron Hodgson's place. (IIRC his place was in Standish then.)

Looks like that's a fairly recent change judging by the sign by the road! What is it now - still a dealer?

Notwen

803 posts

207 months

Monday 6th July 2020
quotequote all
Has anyone got any 90's images of Ciceley Continental Mercedes in Preston?

MDMA .

6,228 posts

65 months

Wednesday 8th July 2020
quotequote all
Frankthered said:
RossCampbellRoss said:
Ron Hodgson's former premises at Dingle Road, Upholland.

I had an MOT done there once! In between it being owned by the business that built the Beauford kit car and it becoming Ron Hodgson's place. (IIRC his place was in Standish then.)

Looks like that's a fairly recent change judging by the sign by the road! What is it now - still a dealer?
He moved from Standish (when it was Fast Lane) to Lower Ince. After Lower Ince, he then moved to Upholland, then to Wigan town centre.

Blown2CV

24,723 posts

167 months

Wednesday 8th July 2020
quotequote all
Frankthered said:
RossCampbellRoss said:
The former Lifes Morgan showroom in Southport town centre. I believe the business now shares premises in Banks with a Lotus specialist, but isn't an official Morgan dealer.

It would appear, according to their Facebook page, that they have moved back into the premises in Southport as of May 15th.

For some strange reason, this makes me very happy.
i remember that from growing up in southport. Hadn't realised it had left or returned!

Blown2CV

24,723 posts

167 months

Wednesday 8th July 2020
quotequote all
Notwen said:
Has anyone got any 90's images of Ciceley Continental Mercedes in Preston?
we may know some of the same people! I never worked there but i know people that did.

RossCampbellRoss

12 posts

10 months

Monday 13th July 2020
quotequote all
Blown2CV said:
i remember that from growing up in southport. Hadn't realised it had left or returned!
I hope this is right. I'll have a look some day soon.

RossCampbellRoss

12 posts

10 months

Monday 13th July 2020
quotequote all
Spotted this morning...




Wacky Racer

34,129 posts

211 months

Monday 13th July 2020
quotequote all
I sold my Mk 2 Ford Capri to Ron Hodgson in 1977.