Aberdeen reminiscences (mostly shops)

Aberdeen reminiscences (mostly shops)

Author
Discussion

Naso Grande

236 posts

166 months

Tuesday 4th August 2009
quotequote all
Semi hemi said:
Who had the Ford Dealership where the Foundry Bar is now.
Harpers

Semi hemi said:
Where was the SMT Garage?
Where Slaters is now

Semi hemi said:
Hemibum is banned from answering the following

Who had the Garage/workshop/Dealers in Union Row off Summer St?
Aberdeen Motors

Semi hemi said:
Where was The Alexander Buses Depot not the bus station but where they stored the buses.
Cairn Road? Between Hardgate & Great Southern Road

This is fun hehe



Edited by Semi hemi on Tuesday 4th August 20:32

riosyd

601 posts

168 months

Tuesday 4th August 2009
quotequote all
Semi hemi said:
Where was The Alexander Buses Depot not the bus station but where they stored the buses.
Cairn Road? Between Hardgate & Great Southern Road


Gairn Terrace wink

Stewart-83

250 posts

190 months

Tuesday 4th August 2009
quotequote all
I thought I was young until I started reading this!!

Although thankfully I do not know what half of you are on about. Phew!


TWJPToyota

452 posts

180 months

Tuesday 4th August 2009
quotequote all
What about Cocky Hunters just off the Castlegate

Semi hemi

1,790 posts

165 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
TWJPToyota said:
What about Cocky Hunters just off the Castlegate
You have just taken it too far...(back)laugh

I think most of our junior contributors would struggle remembering the Bar of the same name at the top of Union St

jshell

10,436 posts

172 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
Cupids
Tamells
Jamies at the beach long walk home!
Mr G's yuck
Cousins
Ritzy's
Peaches

What was the club that used to be where the Ministry is now?

motoGF

153 posts

158 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
jshell said:
What was the club that used to be where the Ministry is now?
Fusion?

luggit

88 posts

170 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
I well remember going to Rober Rae in either Marischal Street and George Street for my denims and Ben Sherman slim fit shirts !!!!

Gramrugby

497 posts

175 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
This will sort the men from the boys. There were three pubs on Queen Street, what were they called ?.

jshell

10,436 posts

172 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
motoGF said:
jshell said:
What was the club that used to be where the Ministry is now?
Fusion?
Nah, that was Ritzy's, now the Palace - I think.

Was a real poseurs place, converted church....cannot for the life of me remember....!

Naso Grande

236 posts

166 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
jshell said:
motoGF said:
jshell said:
What was the club that used to be where the Ministry is now?
Fusion?
Nah, that was Ritzy's, now the Palace - I think.

Was a real poseurs place, converted church....cannot for the life of me remember....!
Gabriel's.

jshell

10,436 posts

172 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
Naso Grande said:
jshell said:
motoGF said:
jshell said:
What was the club that used to be where the Ministry is now?
Fusion?
Nah, that was Ritzy's, now the Palace - I think.

Was a real poseurs place, converted church....cannot for the life of me remember....!
Gabriel's.
Bingo! It was when I said: 'poseurs place', wasn't it...?

Lefty Guns

15,385 posts

169 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
I've only lived here 13 years frown

I want to play too. irked

danrc

2,615 posts

177 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
Any idea when "Posh paws" closed down in Rosemount at the end of Richmond Terrace? I drive down that road every day and it always strikes me as a complete waste of space.

Also (this is maybe too old) but did the chemist at the top of Mount Street used to be a garage?

Finally, the old laser quest up the road from KFC - is this used for anything now? Its been shut up since i moved to Aberdeen!

jshell

10,436 posts

172 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
Lefty Guns said:
I've only lived here 13 years frown

I want to play too. irked
13 years and the grey-granite/weather/gold-diggers/beggers/boarded up shops/doormen/remoteness/misery/seagulls/Stewarty-Milne carboard boxes/useless & arrogant BiB/endless Saturday night taxi queues/weather (again) haven't sucked the very life from the cellular core of your bone marrow?

Well done you! smile

Kiltie

Original Poster:

7,490 posts

213 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
Semi hemi said:
How about the original location for Shirlaws? before the Green.
I remember it being in a wee cobbled street off King Street down the side of a bingo hall (previously cinema). Fredrick Street maybe?

Cheers,

Eric smile

ViperScot

10,087 posts

204 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all

Although not as ancient as some here, I'm old enough to remember when George St was still connected with Union St. And then cars went around the Castlegate where there were underground toilets.

Lefty Guns

15,385 posts

169 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
jshell said:
Lefty Guns said:
I've only lived here 13 years frown

I want to play too. irked
13 years and the grey-granite/weather/gold-diggers/beggers/boarded up shops/doormen/remoteness/misery/seagulls/Stewarty-Milne carboard boxes/useless & arrogant BiB/endless Saturday night taxi queues/weather (again) haven't sucked the very life from the cellular core of your bone marrow?

Well done you! smile
Left ABZ for the shire 3 years ago after too much of the above...

hehe

x200sxy

515 posts

167 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
Only fairly recently I think as sometimes I considered taking our hound there.


danrc said:
Any idea when "Posh paws" closed down in Rosemount at the end of Richmond Terrace? I drive down that road every day and it always strikes me as a complete waste of space.

jshell

10,436 posts

172 months

Wednesday 5th August 2009
quotequote all
Lefty Guns said:
jshell said:
Lefty Guns said:
I've only lived here 13 years frown

I want to play too. irked
13 years and the grey-granite/weather/gold-diggers/beggers/boarded up shops/doormen/remoteness/misery/seagulls/Stewarty-Milne carboard boxes/useless & arrogant BiB/endless Saturday night taxi queues/weather (again) haven't sucked the very life from the cellular core of your bone marrow?

Well done you! smile
Left ABZ for the shire 3 years ago after too much of the above...

hehe
thumbup If/when/ever I go back to Aberdeenshire, it will be in a sleepy village with good access to mountain biking trails.... hehe