Aberdeen reminiscences (mostly shops)

Aberdeen reminiscences (mostly shops)

Author
Discussion

scz4

2,280 posts

210 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
wcel said:
8bit said:
anyone know what the Slater's Menswear building housed originally?
It used to be the SMT garage, and Jacksons Garage before that, built in mid 1930's
I remember it being the Vauxhall garage, with the big doors and ramps up and down to the servicing area.

Shinysideup

715 posts

151 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
scz4 said:
I remember it being the Vauxhall garage, with the big doors and ramps up and down to the servicing area.
Yeah, SVL during the 90s. One of the dealerships i used to drop by as a kid for Vauxhall brochures and stickers paperbag

West17

165 posts

130 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
Ah yes Amadeus. What a place, good times were had!

Was reminiscing about my time in Aberdeen after posting last night. Used to leave the Uni after lectures and head back into town, a few pints in the Bobbin (is that still there?) and then the Union.

O’Neils was usually good craic and there was a place on Windmill street/ hill that was often frequented. Think it was a nightclub but may have just been a pub with music.

I think it was a great place to be a student, not too big, two decent Unis thus lots of students and lots of mid week drink offers!!

Still managed to fit some study in around it all as well...


tonyg58

222 posts

168 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
wcel said:
It used to be the SMT garage, and Jacksons Garage before that, built in mid 1930's
Yes - actually had a ramp like your kid's toy garage that went to the car park on the roof.

8bit

3,236 posts

124 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
tonyg58 said:
wcel said:
It used to be the SMT garage, and Jacksons Garage before that, built in mid 1930's
Yes - actually had a ramp like your kid's toy garage that went to the car park on the roof.
Thanks all, that must have been quite something to see! Quick Google reveals nothing really except some photos of the current Slaters and Oddbins which have been converted to black and white and had some fake film grain applied but I'll dig around later. It's one of those Aberdeen buildings that I keep thinking would look fantastic if someone would just shell out to have the facade cleaned up.

downthepub

1,287 posts

175 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
scz4 said:
wcel said:
8bit said:
anyone know what the Slater's Menswear building housed originally?
It used to be the SMT garage, and Jacksons Garage before that, built in mid 1930's
I remember it being the Vauxhall garage, with the big doors and ramps up and down to the servicing area.
Service department was round on Dee Street, and parts was across the road in what is now Paramount.. They kept demonstrators and stock on the first floor and roof. My old man worked there in the 80s and I'd frequently wander up from school for a lift home. Clearly remember walking up to the roof on the 1st August when he got his H-reg Astra GTE demo in white (with white alloys, obvs).

tonyg58

222 posts

168 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
8bit said:
Thanks all, that must have been quite something to see! Quick Google reveals nothing really except some photos of the current Slaters and Oddbins which have been converted to black and white and had some fake film grain applied but I'll dig around later. It's one of those Aberdeen buildings that I keep thinking would look fantastic if someone would just shell out to have the facade cleaned up.
If you look in Google maps/photo you can still see the roof car park.
Looks like access ramp has been covered over.

matchmaker

7,637 posts

169 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
There were two Pizzalands on Union Street, but does anyone remember Pastaland?

wcel

140 posts

144 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
matchmaker said:
There were two Pizzalands on Union Street, but does anyone remember Pastaland?
No but you have reminded of the Pancake House that used to be on the corner of Union St and Summer St (now Pizza Express I think). I got locked in their toilets when I was a wee kid and been scarred ever since cry

Bisom

2 posts

1 month

Monday 30th August
quotequote all
Semi hemi said:
Had a another name before Barneys, before they split the top and bottom levels, seem to remember an Alpine theme in there all pine ballustrades and a pic Matterhorn on the wall.

How about one of the 1st wine bars in town. The Courtyard in/next to the Cally hotel. one of the 1st place you could take the "ankle biters" in,
Aberdeens first taste of continental drinking habits

Edited by Semi hemi on Tuesday 11th August 13:16

Bisom

2 posts

1 month

Monday 30th August
quotequote all
It was called " The Lodge" I used to go there '78-79.