Thoughts/advice on my proposed 5.0 build-

Thoughts/advice on my proposed 5.0 build-

Author
Discussion

Mattchim

Original Poster:

51 posts

82 months

Saturday 7th May
quotequote all
Ok so i currently have the 5.0 chim thats already had an engine rebuild due engine noise and found No7 liner and piston skirt broken.(30k miles) ,rebuild didn't include top hats. (another topic)

The engine is making noises again(48k miles) and though it maybe the common worn little ends i have decided to get it fully sorted via one of V8Ds engines once and for all rather than have a rebuild done to TVRs 5.0 again.
Main goal is a stronger , more reliable engine that i don't need to worry about breaking, especially when nearing the rev limit as i do love that sound.
I don't want to go LS3 or forced induction as i bloody love the sound of the RV8

I would also like more power, more responsiveness as the power doesn't quite cut it anymore though that may also be mix of me being used to it and also other issues from the above.
For use on A/B roads, occasional track day and touring though Europe.

Initially i wanted to go for a bigger engine ( 5.2 or 5.3) but after speaking to V8D they just cannot get the cranks at the moment.
So they have sent me a build spec for a 5.0 in line with what i want to get out of it though being new to this i am still not entirely sure what i am looking at .

Budget was about 8k but inflation really has hit hard these past few years because that isnt going to cut .I have upped to 10k that isn't going to include a new ECU.
Spec follows.

5.0L Top hat linered block
New Forged pistons
New rings
New mains
New big Ends
New cam bearings
New core plugs
Fully balanced assembly
Pocketing of pistons
Special grind cam (Spec to be finalised)
Special grind cam
Timing chain set
High rev Lifters
Running in oil and additive
Comp head gaskets
Comp head bolts
Recondition customer cylinder heads,
Vaccuum test
Lap valves
New stem seals
All required gaskets and seals
Adjustable push rods
Fully refurbished rocker assemblies
Fully refurbished rocker covers (off your original engine)
Fully refurbish front cover (off your original engine) including new oil pump gears and uprated oil pressure relief valve kit
Balance front pulley (off your original engine) -
Face, Lighten and balance flywheel (off your original engine)
Uprated clutch to take power of new engine (if required)
Water pump (if required) -

Polish and ported inlet manifold
45mm radial trumpet base
72mm larger bore plenum

So this now is just over my max budget ( at least if i still want to keep the wife) Drive in Drive out cost, i just hope they include any vat in their prices :-/ and the ECU will have to wait.
From the research i had done on prices i had hoped to be well under 10k or at least have larger than 5.0/ITBs/crossover induction for that money but i guess it was all based on the Pre Covid , Pre Money Printer GO BURRR days.

Brakes on the car are vented , grooved disks, braided steel pipes, Racing pads. Gaz gold suspension.
Body off chassis resto is the next on the list after this one and i will look at bigger breaks then.


citizen smith

699 posts

158 months

Saturday 7th May
quotequote all
My advise would be to contact John Eales - https://johneealesroverv8.co.uk , he use to build the Paris Dakar engines amonst other high performance applications.

Belle427

6,175 posts

210 months

Saturday 7th May
quotequote all
If that V8D engine isn't enough for you I'd recommend another car!
A bit tongue in cheek that comment but I think anything more than that would spoil the nature of the car, my guess is that the difference will be night and day to your engine.

Mattchim

Original Poster:

51 posts

82 months

Saturday 7th May
quotequote all
Thanks i will make contact before continuing with the V8D route. i had really liked the look of the JE Induction system. it is sexy as hell.

scoobywheeler

11 posts

36 months

Saturday 7th May
quotequote all
I'm sure the quality is up there but JE is very expensive and he won't remove/refit the engine either so you'll have to factor that as separate job/cost

Mattchim

Original Poster:

51 posts

82 months

Saturday 7th May
quotequote all
Belle427 said:
If that V8D engine isn't enough for you I'd recommend another car!
A bit tongue in cheek that comment but I think anything more than that would spoil the nature of the car, my guess is that the difference will be night and day to your engine.
I think maybe you missed my intention with the post. It's not that this V8D engine is not enough for me . It's more that I am not even that sure what I am buying 🤣 .
I am very attached to this car so I just want to make it the best it can be.

I am not looking for crazy power just a little more than what TVR said it should be + much stronger and the ability to be thrashed now and then without breaking and needing a rebuild every 20k.
Something that revs like the 4.3 with the grunt and torque of the 5.0 would be a dream.

Mattchim

Original Poster:

51 posts

82 months

Saturday 7th May
quotequote all
scoobywheeler said:
I'm sure the quality is up there but JE is very expensive and he won't remove/refit the engine either so you'll have to factor that as separate job/cost
Perhaps not then as the current cost of 10kish is making me wince a little bit .☺️

spitfire4v8

3,822 posts

158 months

Saturday 7th May
quotequote all
Mattchim said:
It's not that this V8D engine is not enough for me . It's more that I am not even that sure what I am buying ?? .
I'm not really sure what you hope to gain by asking on here though, surely if you want to know exactly what you are getting for your money you need to ask v8D ? But you've got a pretty comprehensive list from them already of what's in the engine, so I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want from the replies ..

Belle427

6,175 posts

210 months

Saturday 7th May
quotequote all
Mattchim said:
Belle427 said:
If that V8D engine isn't enough for you I'd recommend another car!
A bit tongue in cheek that comment but I think anything more than that would spoil the nature of the car, my guess is that the difference will be night and day to your engine.
I think maybe you missed my intention with the post. It's not that this V8D engine is not enough for me . It's more that I am not even that sure what I am buying ?? .
I am very attached to this car so I just want to make it the best it can be.

I am not looking for crazy power just a little more than what TVR said it should be + much stronger and the ability to be thrashed now and then without breaking and needing a rebuild every 20k.
Something that revs like the 4.3 with the grunt and torque of the 5.0 would be a dream.
There are a few people with the 5.0 V8D engine on here, maybe you can meet up with them and see how the engine behaves to give you an idea.


Mattchim

Original Poster:

51 posts

82 months

Saturday 7th May
quotequote all
spitfire4v8 said:
I'm not really sure what you hope to gain by asking on here though, surely if you want to know exactly what you are getting for your money you need to ask v8D ? But you've got a pretty comprehensive list from them already of what's in the engine, so I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want from the replies ..
I guess what that list corelates to as complete package and feel from the engine as a driver. perhaps from others with similar builds in their cars.
All of these parts don't mean allot to me in regards to capabilities and limitations.

For example i am quite into my Computers if i listed my Top spec PC hardware for VR/Racing Sim gaming to someone that doesn't know much about computers or VR technology would probably have no ide how that translates to refresh rates, details, resolutions, motions and capabilities at field of views, and ultimately user experience verses a lower end PC.

Mattchim

Original Poster:

51 posts

82 months

Saturday 7th May
quotequote all
Belle427 said:
There are a few people with the 5.0 V8D engine on here, maybe you can meet up with them and see how the engine behaves to give you an idea.
excellent idea. i was kind of hoping to find some with this post. i shall do a search however from experience this forum isn't as active as it was 5/6 years ago.

Belle427

6,175 posts

210 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
Mattchim said:
Belle427 said:
There are a few people with the 5.0 V8D engine on here, maybe you can meet up with them and see how the engine behaves to give you an idea.
excellent idea. i was kind of hoping to find some with this post. i shall do a search however from experience this forum isn't as active as it was 5/6 years ago.
The Facebook group is well worth joining to be honest, it is really good for this sort of thing even if you don’t don’t usually like it.
It’s a very active group with almost instant answers to most questions.

Mattchim

Original Poster:

51 posts

82 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
Belle427 said:
The Facebook group is well worth joining to be honest, it is really good for this sort of thing even if you don’t don’t usually like it.
It’s a very active group with almost instant answers to most questions.
Is that the Chimaera Enthusiasts one? i had de activated my Facebook along with all other social media as when something is free you are usually the product....

However i have just reactivated it and signed up to all of the TVR pages biggrin

TwinKam

2,116 posts

72 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
Mattchim said:
Belle427 said:
The Facebook group is well worth joining to be honest, it is really good for this sort of thing even if you don’t don’t usually like it.
It’s a very active group with almost instant answers to most questions.
Is that the Chimaera Enthusiasts one? i had de activated my Facebook along with all other social media as when something is free you are usually the product....

However i have just reactivated it and signed up to all of the TVR pages biggrin
Not heard that phrase before. Brilliant. It sums up modern commerce perfectly.
I shall be borrowing and using that...

Englishman

2,133 posts

187 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
I would also get a quote from Powers Performance. Their rebuilds for the Rover V8 based TVR's are very good.

Belle427

6,175 posts

210 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
Mattchim said:
Belle427 said:
The Facebook group is well worth joining to be honest, it is really good for this sort of thing even if you don’t don’t usually like it.
It’s a very active group with almost instant answers to most questions.
Is that the Chimaera Enthusiasts one? i had de activated my Facebook along with all other social media as when something is free you are usually the product....

However i have just reactivated it and signed up to all of the TVR pages biggrin
Yes its very good.

ray von

2,859 posts

229 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
Pity you don't accept emails

hoofa

3,115 posts

185 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
V8 dev built my 5.4 lump and it’s been without fault, rob is your man for options, just tell him what you want the car for

Mattchim

Original Poster:

51 posts

82 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
ray von said:
Pity you don't accept emails
I didnt know i had them turned off. sorted now

EllipticSwerve

431 posts

166 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
I have a 5.0 v8d engine.. where are you in the uk?