Any TVR or classic car owners in Co Derry?

Any TVR or classic car owners in Co Derry?

Author
Discussion

geeman237

Original Poster:

987 posts

154 months

Saturday 9th July 2016
quotequote all
If you are a TVR owner or knowledgeable classic car owner in the Co Derry area maybe you can help. I am in the USA and have seen a TVR for sale in Co Derry. I might want someone to inspect the car for me and perhaps advise on logistics of shipping it to the USA.
I don't know if there are any ports that ship to the east coast USA direct from S or N Ireland.

If you think you might be able to offer some assistance or can recommend someone, please PM me.

Thank you

ZDW

60 posts

69 months

Sunday 10th July 2016
quotequote all
These guys might be able to help, they seem to be the recognised experts for TVR servicing in NI so might know the car.

Torque Flight
1 BOG ROAD, BALLYGOWAN
BT23 6JL NEWTOWNARDS, CO DOWN
Phone: +44 28 97528991

Not sure about exporting directly from N.Ireland but there seem to be car transportation to England for £250.

Where did you see the car advertised?


General Zod

334 posts

100 months

Monday 11th July 2016
quotequote all
I am in Belfast and TVR owner. The above post on torqueflite is right.

I don't like the way the car is with a trade seller but it states that the sale is on private terms. That is not actually possible I don't think

stevieturbo

15,616 posts

216 months

Monday 11th July 2016
quotequote all
geeman237 said:
If you are a TVR owner or knowledgeable classic car owner in the Co Derry area maybe you can help. I am in the USA and have seen a TVR for sale in Co Derry. I might want someone to inspect the car for me and perhaps advise on logistics of shipping it to the USA.
I don't know if there are any ports that ship to the east coast USA direct from S or N Ireland.

If you think you might be able to offer some assistance or can recommend someone, please PM me.

Thank you
I would be very surprsied if there is a direct shipping route from anywhere in Ireland or Northern Ireland.

Anyone I know who's sent or received a vehicle from the US, has always been via England, I think either Liverpool or Southampton.

You could maybe ask in some of the other sections of the forum...like the Viper section, Corvette section, as those guys might be more familiar with the import/export processes

geeman237

Original Poster:

987 posts

154 months

Monday 11th July 2016
quotequote all
Thanks gents. I have already talked with the seller, seems legit. So, is it about a 1.5 - 2 hour drive between the two places?

geeman237

Original Poster:

987 posts

154 months

Monday 11th July 2016
quotequote all
stevieturbo said:
I would be very surprsied if there is a direct shipping route from anywhere in Ireland or Northern Ireland.

Anyone I know who's sent or received a vehicle from the US, has always been via England, I think either Liverpool or Southampton.

You could maybe ask in some of the other sections of the forum...like the Viper section, Corvette section, as those guys might be more familiar with the import/export processes
I am familiar with the export from the UK and import to the US as I have already shipped a car when I moved to the US. For me the issue is the logistics of Northern Ireland and trying to get an independent inspection on the car first. If it were to work out and I wanted to buy the car then I would have to figure out how to get a company to transport it to the UK before shipping to the US. To import into the US the car must be 25 years old at the first date of manufacture or registration, so this car in question is a Feb 1992. I would have to have the car suitably stored in the UK until its ready to ship stateside.

I appreciate any advice or recommendations.



ZDW

60 posts

69 months

Monday 11th July 2016
quotequote all
Unfortunately I don't know TVRs since it's probably not far from where I am. So you'll have to wait until Feb 2017 before importing it with out the risk of it getting crushed in entry to the US? Can't really help you with storage recommendations but I know these guys are near Derry that can do transport http://eamonmclaughlin.com I've never used them. Was more fun driving a car back from England.

ZDW

60 posts

69 months

Monday 11th July 2016
quotequote all
it's the green Griffith one for sale by a classics trader? It's pretty close if so.

geeman237

Original Poster:

987 posts

154 months

Monday 11th July 2016
quotequote all
ZDW said:
it's the green Griffith one for sale by a classics trader? It's pretty close if so.
Yes it is that one

General Zod

334 posts

100 months

Tuesday 12th July 2016
quotequote all
geeman237 said:
I am familiar with the export from the UK and import to the US as I have already shipped a car when I moved to the US. For me the issue is the logistics of Northern Ireland and trying to get an independent inspection on the car first. If it were to work out and I wanted to buy the car then I would have to figure out how to get a company to transport it to the UK before shipping to the US. To import into the US the car must be 25 years old at the first date of manufacture or registration, so this car in question is a Feb 1992. I would have to have the car suitably stored in the UK until its ready to ship stateside.

I appreciate any advice or recommendations.
I used these guys- http://www.mvt.co.uk/ - to ship a TVR from Wales to NI last year. They were significantly cheaper than anyone else and great to deal with. Maybe they would know a route to the US that they could handle?
If I were you I'd phone Greg at Torqueflite and see if he would do an inspection then get MVT to move it to whatever port is best. Or there seems to be people who would ship from Ireland directly to USA (e.g. http://sprattpersonalshipping.com/countries/#18).
Good luck! (still don't like a trader selling "on private sale terms". This is not possible).

geeman237

Original Poster:

987 posts

154 months

Wednesday 13th July 2016
quotequote all
Thanks for the info. I have sent an email to Torque Flight but not got a reply yet. I'll follow up with a letter because I don't have international dialing on my US mobile phone plan :-/

ZDW

60 posts

69 months

Wednesday 13th July 2016
quotequote all
11 & 12 July are holidays in N Ireland, some place close for a while longer - some up to 2 weeks

edit: 12-13th July