Insurance ? Live in Canada - Car is in the UK

Insurance ? Live in Canada - Car is in the UK

Author
Discussion

UKAuto

Original Poster:

520 posts

238 months

Friday 6th December 2019
quotequote all
I live in Canada, and have a Canadian driver's licence. I am pursuing the purchase of a car in England with the plan of importing it to Canada in a year. For the most par the car will be stored in a secure storage in the UK, but I would also like to vacation in the UK for a few days next summer and drive it (if practical).

Does anyone know of an insurance company that would insure me? If I can't get insurance to drive the vehicle, at very least I need to have it insured against loss or damage - it is too valuable to just take my chances.

Appreciate any factual information anyone can share.

Densetsu

29 posts

16 months

Friday 6th December 2019
quotequote all
UKAuto said:
I live in Canada, and have a Canadian driver's licence. I am pursuing the purchase of a car in England with the plan of importing it to Canada in a year. For the most par the car will be stored in a secure storage in the UK, but I would also like to vacation in the UK for a few days next summer and drive it (if practical).

Does anyone know of an insurance company that would insure me? If I can't get insurance to drive the vehicle, at very least I need to have it insured against loss or damage - it is too valuable to just take my chances.

Appreciate any factual information anyone can share.
Storage company should offer insurance based on the cars value etc (for storage).


Edited by Densetsu on Monday 9th December 18:22

UKAuto

Original Poster:

520 posts

238 months

Friday 6th December 2019
quotequote all
Densetsu said:
Storage company should offer insurance based on the cars value etc.
That is the avenue I am exploring now - thanks. I need to find a suitable (reliable) storage facility. It does rule out the option of driving the car unfortunately.

RDMcG

16,072 posts

168 months

Friday 6th December 2019
quotequote all
I live in Toronto and recently shipped a Canadian-registered car to Germany to drive and track there for a few weeks... I insured it by calling my broker in Toronto and they organized the Euro insurance through Chubb. If you have a Canadian broker they may be helpful.

Densetsu

29 posts

16 months

Friday 6th December 2019
quotequote all
UKAuto said:
That is the avenue I am exploring now - thanks. I need to find a suitable (reliable) storage facility. It does rule out the option of driving the car unfortunately.
Expect something like £2 per year per £1000 of the value in secure car storage place.

Just a thought, how will you get the car MoT'd? (unless it's exempt)? Flatbed trailer to the MoT station? Again, insurance could be tricky...

UKAuto

Original Poster:

520 posts

238 months

Friday 6th December 2019
quotequote all
RDMcG said:
I live in Toronto and recently shipped a Canadian-registered car to Germany to drive and track there for a few weeks... I insured it by calling my broker in Toronto and they organized the Euro insurance through Chubb. If you have a Canadian broker they may be helpful.
Thanks, good thought. I know the insurance companies I deal with won't insure it -(Allstate and Hagerty) but perhaps the broker can find something for me.

The Moose

20,570 posts

170 months

Saturday 7th December 2019
quotequote all
When I go back to the UK, Chubb have no problem adding me to my families’ policies to drive pretty much anything.

I don’t know if you could get the same deal as the main insured??

UKAuto

Original Poster:

520 posts

238 months

Monday 9th December 2019
quotequote all
Densetsu said:
Expect something like £2 per year per £1000 of the value in secure car storage place.

Just a thought, how will you get the car MoT'd? (unless it's exempt)? Flatbed trailer to the MoT station? Again, insurance could be tricky...
Vendor will MOT before I pick it up. Likely I will need to flat bed it to storage. Not sure if I can MOT it ‘now’, but insure it for road use a few months later - I guess I have some reading of the rules ahead.

UKAuto

Original Poster:

520 posts

238 months

Monday 9th December 2019
quotequote all
The Moose said:
When I go back to the UK, Chubb have no problem adding me to my families’ policies to drive pretty much anything.

I don’t know if you could get the same deal as the main insured??
Waiting for a verdict on this from Chubb - appreciate the lead.

Densetsu

29 posts

16 months

Monday 9th December 2019
quotequote all
UKAuto said:
Vendor will MOT before I pick it up. Likely I will need to flat bed it to storage. Not sure if I can MOT it ‘now’, but insure it for road use a few months later - I guess I have some reading of the rules ahead.
You can MoT it any time with or without insurance (when flat beddin' it to the MoT station and back) , and in your case , yes you can insure it later after.

Don't forget to SORN it however! There's no point taxing the car when it's off-road/in storage for a while: -> https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn



Edited by Densetsu on Monday 9th December 18:24