OK so who's stuck in the USA then?

OK so who's stuck in the USA then?

Author
Discussion

Mannginger

Original Poster:

8,074 posts

216 months

Tuesday 23rd June
quotequote all
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53145317

Current guidance I've got is not to leave as don't think we'd be re-admitted. I'm on an L1B and my better half is on a J1 which expires in 10 days or so. We believe she can stay working using her DS2019 but for sure she can't leave.

Not that any of us are travelling internationally any time soon but the lack of options is somewhat irritating, especially as some of family is pretty sick currently frown

mr_spock

3,020 posts

174 months

Tuesday 23rd June
quotequote all
You might be ok. The proclamation bit says:

Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry. (a) The suspension and limitation on entry pursuant to section 1 of this proclamation shall apply only to aliens who:

(i) are outside the United States on the effective date of this proclamation;

(ii) do not have an immigrant visa that is valid on the effective date of this proclamation; and

(iii) do not have an official travel document other than a visa (such as a transportation letter, an appropriate boarding foil, or an advance parole document) that is valid on the effective date of this proclamation or issued on any date thereafter that permits him or her to travel to the United States and seek entry or admission.

Since you're inside the US right now, and have a valid visa right now, you should be ok I suspect. Best check with a lawyer though

thainy77

3,278 posts

157 months

Tuesday 23rd June
quotequote all
I'm in the same situation, L1A, my family were supposed to go back to the UK for the kids summer holidays but that got cancelled and now Christmas isn't looking likely either.

I've reached out to our visa/travel department so i'll post back here if i get any firm news.

ETA: I got the below from work.
At this time the US travel ban has not changed and if you were to go to the UK you would then have to fly from the UK to another country that is not on the ban list and sit there for 14 days before you could return to the US. We are recommending not to travel international if you are already in the United States for the rest of this year for all US visa holders.

Edited by thainy77 on Tuesday 23 June 22:27

The Moose

20,407 posts

168 months

Wednesday 24th June
quotequote all
thainy77 said:
ETA: I got the below from work.
At this time the US travel ban has not changed and if you were to go to the UK you would then have to fly from the UK to another country that is not on the ban list and sit there for 14 days before you could return to the US. We are recommending not to travel international if you are already in the United States for the rest of this year for all US visa holders.
That's all well and good, but when your stay expires, will you be "over staying"?!

thainy77

3,278 posts

157 months

Thursday 25th June
quotequote all
The Moose said:
thainy77 said:
ETA: I got the below from work.
At this time the US travel ban has not changed and if you were to go to the UK you would then have to fly from the UK to another country that is not on the ban list and sit there for 14 days before you could return to the US. We are recommending not to travel international if you are already in the United States for the rest of this year for all US visa holders.
That's all well and good, but when your stay expires, will you be "over staying"?!
I’ve got four years to go so should be ok wink.

The Moose

20,407 posts

168 months

Thursday 25th June
quotequote all
thainy77 said:
The Moose said:
thainy77 said:
ETA: I got the below from work.
At this time the US travel ban has not changed and if you were to go to the UK you would then have to fly from the UK to another country that is not on the ban list and sit there for 14 days before you could return to the US. We are recommending not to travel international if you are already in the United States for the rest of this year for all US visa holders.
That's all well and good, but when your stay expires, will you be "over staying"?!
I’ve got four years to go so should be ok wink.
Even on your I94?

The test driver

1,000 posts

118 months

Thursday 25th June
quotequote all
Shout out to the L1 crew!

Also an L1, family never made it out before lock down so their still in the UK.

From the USCIS site-
"This does not affect those currently working in the U.S. on valid H-1B or similar visas. The proclamation also does not prevent individuals in possession of valid visas prior to the effective date of the proclamation from entering or re-entering the country, if they have been abroad, provided they have not otherwise rendered themselves inadmissible."

I want to travel back to the UK for my sons birthday at the end of August just wondering if I'm going to have to quit my job to do so?

thainy77

3,278 posts

157 months

Thursday 25th June
quotequote all
The Moose said:
thainy77 said:
The Moose said:
thainy77 said:
ETA: I got the below from work.
At this time the US travel ban has not changed and if you were to go to the UK you would then have to fly from the UK to another country that is not on the ban list and sit there for 14 days before you could return to the US. We are recommending not to travel international if you are already in the United States for the rest of this year for all US visa holders.
That's all well and good, but when your stay expires, will you be "over staying"?!
I’ve got four years to go so should be ok wink.
Even on your I94?
Two years on my I-129S, I94 is inline with my visa.

Mannginger

Original Poster:

8,074 posts

216 months

Thursday 25th June
quotequote all
I forgot to come back to this. Turns out I'm on an L1A not B but broadly same issues. That said the latest view from our lawyers is that I'd probably be OK to travel as I have the visa in my passport. That said they strongly advised I call them well in advance of any travel just in case.

My better half however is firmly stuck in country, Her visa expires next week. She can continue to work but if she left she'd probably not be able to get back in until this current ban is lifted.

It may be moot due to covid but is still underwhelming

Loafer

124 posts

187 months

Saturday 24th October
quotequote all
Has anyone made it to the UK and back on an L1?

Would like to go for Christmas but not holding out much hope looks like this will have to wait for the below travel corridor to be approved

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/london-new-york...

Maxeh

350 posts

179 months

Monday 26th October
quotequote all
I'm currently in NY on an E2 visa, haven't been home since last December but I hear a few people have had success getting an NIE (national interest exemption).

Hoping we can finally visit sometime early next year to avoid 14 days in Turkey etc

thainy77

3,278 posts

157 months

Monday 26th October
quotequote all
A friend from the UK has come over on an NIE, I don't think they are the most cost effective solution though.