New TVR still under wraps! (Vol. 2)

New TVR still under wraps! (Vol. 2)

Author
Discussion

Penelope Stopit

8,835 posts

77 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
"But lady luck has simply not been on its side, as evidenced by confirmation that the factory on the Rassau Industrial Estate needs a new roof. And you don't need to be a roofer to know that replacing the structure on an 180,000 sq ft site is going to be a costly, slow-paced process"

Laughable, so funny

How does this nonesense make it to the internet?

7500 sq ft is plenty enough to build cars, ok these figures are approximate but give an idea of required space needed, don't remember the exact size of unit for project was involved in

Let's add 3 x the above for storing parts for 50 cars

30000 sq ft unit does the job

Is this TVR project some sort of a joke?

The Surveyor

7,468 posts

205 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
V6 Pushfit said:
...…

And why?

Lack of PR. A PR man would have dealt with this professionally and made damn sure everyone was up to speed.

….
The only reason for PR on this project is for crisis management.

A PR company can only promote progress on a project if there is actual progress to promote, otherwise it just comes across as :-



V6 Pushfit

16,857 posts

78 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
The Surveyor said:
Exactly, they said they would have a small facility for training, product development, and initial production. Another milestone missed.
Small facility - pointless without finance
Front car changing - not happening there’s no bonnet
Trim options - irrelevant there’s no body
Gear ratios - irrelevant there’s no gearbox
Dust cap colours - oh fk off

FFS what’s wrong with people. There is NO CAR. To get a car they need a finance.

There’s no finance as risk of failure is too high, the heat is off and the interest has dwindled due to NO PR.

We can piss about talking about the unicorn all day but it won’t help.

crosseyedlion

2,085 posts

166 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
Penelope Stopit said:
"But lady luck has simply not been on its side, as evidenced by confirmation that the factory on the Rassau Industrial Estate needs a new roof. And you don't need to be a roofer to know that replacing the structure on an 180,000 sq ft site is going to be a costly, slow-paced process"

Laughable, so funny

How does this nonesense make it to the internet?

7500 sq ft is plenty enough to build cars, ok these figures are approximate but give an idea of required space needed, don't remember the exact size of unit for project was involved in

Let's add 3 x the above for storing parts for 50 cars

30000 sq ft unit does the job

Is this TVR project some sort of a joke?
I genuinely think now that Les planned to sell TVR whole with a healthy orderbook, renewed public interest, a free factory and a prototype for a healthy profit over Nikolai's selling price without ever having to actually build the things.

Let's not forget the Welsh Government have the trademarks as security and their £3 million loan runs out in 2022.

V6 Pushfit

16,857 posts

78 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
The Surveyor said:
The only reason for PR on this project is for crisis management.

A PR company can only promote progress on a project if there is actual progress to promote, otherwise it just comes across as :-

YES!

There was a time where it would have been bang on. What did we hear? Zilch

A proper honest update and interview would save the day and at least mitigate the continued destruction of all our alliegences, possible even reverse it.

Penelope Stopit

8,835 posts

77 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
crosseyedlion said:
Penelope Stopit said:
"But lady luck has simply not been on its side, as evidenced by confirmation that the factory on the Rassau Industrial Estate needs a new roof. And you don't need to be a roofer to know that replacing the structure on an 180,000 sq ft site is going to be a costly, slow-paced process"

Laughable, so funny

How does this nonesense make it to the internet?

7500 sq ft is plenty enough to build cars, ok these figures are approximate but give an idea of required space needed, don't remember the exact size of unit for project was involved in

Let's add 3 x the above for storing parts for 50 cars

30000 sq ft unit does the job

Is this TVR project some sort of a joke?
I genuinely think now that Les planned to sell TVR whole with a healthy orderbook, renewed public interest, a free factory and a prototype for a healthy profit over Nikolai's selling price without ever having to actually build the things.

Let's not forget the Welsh Government have the trademarks as security and their £3 million loan runs out in 2022.
You may well be right, never considered this option

Monkeylegend

21,306 posts

199 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
V6 Pushfit said:
The Surveyor said:
Exactly, they said they would have a small facility for training, product development, and initial production. Another milestone missed.
Small facility - pointless without finance
Front car changing - not happening there’s no bonnet
Trim options - irrelevant there’s no body
Gear ratios - irrelevant there’s no gearbox
Dust cap colours - oh fk off

FFS what’s wrong with people. There is NO CAR. To get a car they need a finance.

There’s no finance as risk of failure is too high, the heat is off and the interest has dwindled due to NO PR.

We can piss about talking about the unicorn all day but it won’t help.
Steady on Pushfit, I am getting worried about your blood pressure, we don't want to lose you.

It's only a car, just metal and plastic, not worth getting worked up over.

What else are we going to do all day if we didn't have this thread, getting the car into production will kill it smile



V6 Pushfit

16,857 posts

78 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
Monkeylegend said:
Steady on Pushfit, I am getting worried about your blood pressure, we don't want to lose you.

It's only a car, just metal and plastic, not worth getting worked up over.

What else are we going to do all day if we didn't have this thread, getting the car into production will kill it smile
smile

The Surveyor

7,468 posts

205 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
V6 Pushfit said:
The Surveyor said:
Exactly, they said they would have a small facility for training, product development, and initial production. Another milestone missed.
Small facility - pointless without finance
Front car changing - not happening there’s no bonnet
Trim options - irrelevant there’s no body
Gear ratios - irrelevant there’s no gearbox
Dust cap colours - oh fk off

FFS what’s wrong with people. There is NO CAR. To get a car they need a finance.

There’s no finance as risk of failure is too high, the heat is off and the interest has dwindled due to NO PR.

We can piss about talking about the unicorn all day but it won’t help.
There is ONE car, there was a viable car production project if the guys behind it got their business plan right. It was never going to be easy and history is littered with failures, but the likes of Ginetta, Morgan, Ultima, Ariel and Nobel show that it 'can' be done when they get everything right. Getting a small injection of finance for a small production is going to be easier than for the wild large-scale production they planned in Ebbw Vale, they've done the classic over promise - under deliver!

As for your comment in bold, you're right but isn't that the whole point of a discussion forum scratchchin

The Surveyor

7,468 posts

205 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
V6 Pushfit said:
…..
A proper honest update and interview would save the day and at least mitigate the continued destruction of all our alliegences, possible even reverse it.
An honest interview would kill off the project dead. We all know the projects stalled because they can't secure a backer, coming out and admitting that will just see the last deposit holders walk away and will mean that if anybody is bold enough to make an offer, the terms would be so onerous they would be unworkable.

V6 Pushfit

16,857 posts

78 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
The Surveyor said:
There is ONE car, there was a viable car production project if the guys behind it got their business plan right. It was never going to be easy and history is littered with failures, but the likes of Ginetta, Morgan, Ultima, Ariel and Nobel show that it 'can' be done when they get everything right. Getting a small injection of finance for a small production is going to be easier than for the wild large-scale production they planned in Ebbw Vale, they've done the classic over promise - under deliver!

As for your comment in bold, you're right but isn't that the whole point of a discussion forum scratchchin
There is no one car. Theres an example of what will be built but with a different drivetrain, electrics and probably body. If ever a car is produced it'll be refined and changed and updated from the rolling prototype.

The basic principal behind this now, its will TVR be able to make a go of it or not?

There is no 'small facility' that was never going to happen - total waste of time and finance they dont have.

We might as well be discussing whether TVR do a smart car equivalent or a lorry - those times are past. This is now will they be able to continue with what they have currently planned or not. And that all now depends on PR. And proper stuff. Proper realignment and forward moving PR to address the last 2 years of wasted goodwill.

baconsarney

10,841 posts

129 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
The Surveyor said:
V6 Pushfit said:
…..
A proper honest update and interview would save the day and at least mitigate the continued destruction of all our alliegences, possible even reverse it.
An honest interview would kill off the project dead. We all know the projects stalled because they can't secure a backer, coming out and admitting that will just see the last deposit holders walk away and will mean that if anybody is bold enough to make an offer, the terms would be so onerous they would be unworkable.
I totally agree with this.. I mean, confusing people with the facts is the last thing an investment seeking organisation should be doing! Being honest has been the cause of countless business failures scratchchin

Tyre Smoke

17,863 posts

229 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
baconsarney said:
The Surveyor said:
V6 Pushfit said:
…..
A proper honest update and interview would save the day and at least mitigate the continued destruction of all our alliegences, possible even reverse it.
An honest interview would kill off the project dead. We all know the projects stalled because they can't secure a backer, coming out and admitting that will just see the last deposit holders walk away and will mean that if anybody is bold enough to make an offer, the terms would be so onerous they would be unworkable.
I totally agree with this.. I mean, confusing people with the facts is the last thing an investment seeking organisation should be doing! Being honest has been the cause of countless business failures scratchchin
Are you deliberately obtuse?

Ok, I'll bite. Updating that they have no investment backing, will definitely kill the whole project dead.

What are the Wesh Govt going to do in 2022 when they realise they have bought the dormant TVR brand for £3m? Surely it will make the dodgy heating scandal in Northern Ireland look like a slight accounting error?

The Surveyor

7,468 posts

205 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
Tyre Smoke said:
…...

What are the Wesh Govt going to do in 2022 when they realise they have bought the dormant TVR brand for £3m? Surely it will make the dodgy heating scandal in Northern Ireland look like a slight accounting error?
Slight exaggeration, the heating scheme in Northern Ireland lost circa £500m. This is a drop in the ocean in comparison.

V6 Pushfit

16,857 posts

78 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
The Surveyor said:
V6 Pushfit said:
…..
A proper honest update and interview would save the day and at least mitigate the continued destruction of all our alliegences, possible even reverse it.
An honest interview would kill off the project dead. We all know the projects stalled because they can't secure a backer, coming out and admitting that will just see the last deposit holders walk away and will mean that if anybody is bold enough to make an offer, the terms would be so onerous they would be unworkable.
Did I say honest?

Oh

AAGR

918 posts

129 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
An innocent question ?

The TVR was engineered by Gordon Murray's team,right ?

When is the last time a GM-engineered product actually made it into production ?


m4tti

5,013 posts

123 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
The investment they pull in will cover off the debts they have to the welsh, pello will get their fee and this thing will quietly vanish into thin air.

unrepentant

20,349 posts

224 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
Tyre Smoke said:
There's a good reason OldCo never sold there. And it's the same now.

Crash regulations.
Several other reasons too. You need a decent warranty with full factory backing. (Jaguar gives a 5 yr / 60 k comprehensive warranty and covers all maintenance for the first 5 years).

You need an infrastructure and it's a huge country and it's very expensive to sell here.

You need a big legal and contingency budget because it's a very litigious country.

You need to have a product that people want.

The Corvette is cheap.

Nobody has heard of TVR save a few diehard enthusiasts with Tasmins (no cars imported since 1986).

Gazzab

18,883 posts

250 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
AAGR said:
An innocent question ?

The TVR was engineered by Gordon Murray's team,right ?

When is the last time a GM-engineered product actually made it into production ?
He set up the business in 2007. I am sure his team has contributed to production cars but am not sure which ones. Beyond the Griff and T27 (and iterations) there is the Ox. I am not sure if the Ox is in production.

BJWoods

5,014 posts

252 months

Friday 24th January 2020
quotequote all
TVR - March 2018-

You may recall that the Welsh Government recently announced they had acquired the building for TVR's new factory facility in Ebbw Vale just before Christmas.

As time was ticking on, we decided to acquire some additional space in order to let us get started in advance of the refurb being complete on the main building. I am happy to say that this has now been achieved - close to the the main facility. We have already begun the move from our Guildford development site to the new unit and to configure the building for pre-production builds, pilot builds etc.




which is why people here were talking about a smaller facility, pre-production, etc,etc before the main factory.
does/did this new unit ever exist?