New TVR still under wraps! (Vol. 3)

New TVR still under wraps! (Vol. 3)

Author
Discussion

N7GTX

6,735 posts

120 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
While we all wait for the next big news, I've had to buy a suitable car to cart the new 4 legged member of the family around in. The car had to be quite roomy, easy access and with a lowish tailgate so he can jump in and cheap to run, tax and insure so eventually decided on a C3 Picasso dirty diesel. 50+mpg, tax £30 and insurance was £140.

The one I went for had a full Citroen service history and 51k miles last serviced in November 21. The aircon seemed a bit poor and with the blower on full, the flow was minimal. So, I took out the pollen filter:

|https://thumbsnap.com/UTNRsAhM[/url]


Presumably the new Griff will have air-conditioning as its likely to be very hot with those front exhausts.

TwinKam

2,116 posts

72 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
N7GTX said:
While we all wait for the next big news, I've had to buy a suitable car to cart the new 4 legged member of the family around in. The car had to be quite roomy, easy access and with a lowish tailgate so he can jump in and cheap to run, tax and insure so eventually decided on a C3 Picasso dirty diesel. 50+mpg, tax £30 and insurance was £140.

The one I went for had a full Citroen service history and 51k miles last serviced in November 21. The aircon seemed a bit poor and with the blower on full, the flow was minimal. So, I took out the pollen filter:

|https://thumbsnap.com/UTNRsAhM[/url]


Presumably the new Griff will have air-conditioning as its likely to be very hot with those front exhausts.
And hopefully TVR mechanics will be able to follow a service schedule rather better than those Citroën 'technicians' rolleyes
Actually, what you found is absolutely typical of 'servicing' today... all the coffee & biscuits, video lounge, 'free' wash and valet bullst ...but absolutely no idea. All fur coat and no knickers.

phazed

20,672 posts

181 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
Some years ago my youngest son worked at one of those massive VW/Audi dealerships. As you say, tea, coffee, video lounge and everyone in a VW uniform. Backstage the average age of the mechanics was about 12!
Usual videoing of every minor thing on your car and hard sell to fix or replace it when it was quite serviceable for some time. That’s how they make their money!
My son dated one of the receptionists for awhile, turns out she was earning far more than him as she was on a bonus for the hard sell to the clients!

Gazzab

19,738 posts

259 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
phazed said:
Some years ago my youngest son worked at one of those massive VW/Audi dealerships. As you say, tea, coffee, video lounge and everyone in a VW uniform. Backstage the average age of the mechanics was about 12!
Usual videoing of every minor thing on your car and hard sell to fix or replace it when it was quite serviceable for some time. That’s how they make their money!
My son dated one of the receptionists for awhile, turns out she was earning far more than him as she was on a bonus for the hard sell to the clients!
I’ve had VWs for last 8 years. The servicing prices are OTT but the extras are eve watering. Last time the quoted £700 to replace my front discs. Took to an independent and it was under £300.

skiver.

654 posts

170 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
Tyre Smoke said:
If it ever gets going, I'd agree with this. And the V8 ICE quietly dropped in favour of an electric car. However, I'm very sceptical about the whole affair.
'Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.' nuts

TwinKam

2,116 posts

72 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
Gazzab said:
phazed said:
Some years ago my youngest son worked at one of those massive VW/Audi dealerships. As you say, tea, coffee, video lounge and everyone in a VW uniform. Backstage the average age of the mechanics was about 12!
Usual videoing of every minor thing on your car and hard sell to fix or replace it when it was quite serviceable for some time. That’s how they make their money!
My son dated one of the receptionists for awhile, turns out she was earning far more than him as she was on a bonus for the hard sell to the clients!
I’ve had VWs for last 8 years. The servicing prices are OTT but the extras are eve watering. Last time the quoted £700 to replace my front discs. Took to an independent and it was under £300.
...you wouldn't mind quite so much if they did actually Service (capital 'S') it... you know, doing what they were charging for.
I could write a book on what I've seen come out of main dealer workshops over the years.

Gazzab

19,738 posts

259 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
To be fair independents have ripped me off a couple of times. A TVR place in Sheffield and a Land Rover place. The LR place told me they have fixed my suspension compressor but weren’t sure it would last…it didn’t. The next place confirmed the pump housing had never been touched. Ever.

Oldwolf

675 posts

170 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
TwinKam said:
Gazzab said:
phazed said:
Some years ago my youngest son worked at one of those massive VW/Audi dealerships. As you say, tea, coffee, video lounge and everyone in a VW uniform. Backstage the average age of the mechanics was about 12!
Usual videoing of every minor thing on your car and hard sell to fix or replace it when it was quite serviceable for some time. That’s how they make their money!
My son dated one of the receptionists for awhile, turns out she was earning far more than him as she was on a bonus for the hard sell to the clients!
I’ve had VWs for last 8 years. The servicing prices are OTT but the extras are eve watering. Last time the quoted £700 to replace my front discs. Took to an independent and it was under £300.
...you wouldn't mind quite so much if they did actually Service (capital 'S') it... you know, doing what they were charging for.
I could write a book on what I've seen come out of main dealer workshops over the years.
On the plus side I've inherited some quite nice tools that mechanics have left in various parts of my car. The funniest was not a main dealer but I'd had some service work done on my MX5 NA (probably a cambelt) and driving home in the rain the wipers stopped. I opened the bonnet cursing until I saw some long nose pliers wedged under the wiper arm. Pulled them out and carried on home. Rang the garage the next day to thank them and was greeted with the response, 'he's always doing that'!

N7GTX

6,735 posts

120 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
TwinKam said:
And hopefully TVR mechanics will be able to follow a service schedule rather better than those Citroën 'technicians' rolleyes
Actually, what you found is absolutely typical of 'servicing' today... all the coffee & biscuits, video lounge, 'free' wash and valet bullst ...but absolutely no idea. All fur coat and no knickers.
I must be jinxed. Mrs N7's VW Golf came with "full" VW dealer service history which we bought in November. You might recognise this:



curse

Tazar

260 posts

169 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
I see on the TVR company website it still says that they are taking deposits and presumably they will insist on them for the new EVs before production.
But with the fiasco so far who would place a deposit until you physically see the new cars waiting to be driven away.

Classic Chim

11,661 posts

126 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
Tazar said:
I see on the TVR company website it still says that they are taking deposits and presumably they will insist on them for the new EVs before production.
But with the fiasco so far who would place a deposit until you physically see the new cars waiting to be driven away.
Considering there are a lot of people contributing business and account details on here which are nothing but an embarrassment for present TVR owners it would be good to do a straw pole and get answers to this question, I’m sure a lot of contributors on here have no actual intention of paying for and or receiving any form of TVR car let alone an electric people carrier rofl

Based on the electrics on the average TVR its a sore point already biggrin
ETA
I wonder how many deposit holders have owned a TVR at all?
That would be the acid test as to how well the first car was received or even heard of by the general public when it was shown and deposits asked for. I remember like many thinking wow deposit time suggests it’s happening,,,,,, until we all saw the cars nose that is hehe
I think few of us thought they never had the money to even start building the deposit holders cars.
I assume deposit holders were informed other investment would be necessary so went in with eyes open but it was the man himself that told us the cars would be produced by this date or the next!

I just wish some other seriously wealthy chap with a bigger vision and more honesty had taken it on. Someone who could draw a little would help thumbup




Edited by Classic Chim on Thursday 12th May 18:55


Edited by Classic Chim on Thursday 12th May 18:57

silentbrown

7,285 posts

93 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
N7GTX said:
I must be jinxed. Mrs N7's VW Golf came with "full" VW dealer service history which we bought in November. You might recognise this:



curse
Pollen filters are always an eyewatering extra on VAG servicing. They're meant to be changed annually, but - surprise! - they're not included in the "fixed price servicing" figures.

baconsarney

11,213 posts

138 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
silentbrown said:
Pollen filters are always an eyewatering extra on VAG servicing. They're meant to be changed annually, but - surprise! - they're not included in the "fixed price servicing" figures.
Aston Martin are the same..

Welshbeef

48,370 posts

175 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
N7GTX said:
I must be jinxed. Mrs N7's VW Golf came with "full" VW dealer service history which we bought in November. You might recognise this:



curse
Is that a pollen filter on your vehicle that had been serviced but the main dealer DIDNT change it?

dvs_dave

7,129 posts

202 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
baconsarney said:
silentbrown said:
Pollen filters are always an eyewatering extra on VAG servicing. They're meant to be changed annually, but - surprise! - they're not included in the "fixed price servicing" figures.
Aston Martin are the same..
Yet are about 20 quid online and take all of 3 minutes to change.

phazed

20,672 posts

181 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
^^^^^^^

Maybe 10 minutes…

TwinKam

2,116 posts

72 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
A couple of years back I removed this from a Rav 4. Can you spot Mickey in there? He'd made himself pretty cosy, but must've died in his sleep.
Bear in mind that every breath you take in a car has come through that cabin filter...


keynsham

24 posts

248 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
"I’ve had VWs for last 8 years. The servicing prices are OTT but the extras are eve watering. Last time the quoted £700 to replace my front discs. Took to an independent and it was under £300."

keynsham

24 posts

248 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Didn't mean to post that but can't delete it!!

QBee

18,757 posts

121 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Looks like the filter was doing its job....good old Toyota quality, stuff lasts for ever (because it has to)