New TVR still under wraps! (Vol. 3)

New TVR still under wraps! (Vol. 3)

Author
Discussion

glow worm

6,015 posts

230 months

Thursday 1st June 2023
quotequote all
phazed said:
You don’t get posts like this on the Porsche forum sadly.

More like, “should I fit carbon fibre cup holders !”

biglaugh
or what perm lotion do you use ? smile

QBee

21,176 posts

147 months

Thursday 1st June 2023
quotequote all
glow worm said:
phazed said:
You don’t get posts like this on the Porsche forum sadly.

More like, “should I fit carbon fibre cup holders !”

biglaugh
or what perm lotion do you use ? smile
I am truly lost for words.

It reminds me of the yoof of today, more bothered about "has it got Apple Carplay and internet connectivity in outer space" than "what's the 0-60 time" when changing their car.

My daughter just changed her SEAT estate for a Suzuki S Cross and is disappointed with the Suzuki.
When selecting the Suzuki she made sure it had as much tech as the space shuttle, but omitted actually to drive one with an automatic gearbox before ordering. loser
Apparently it's a jerky as a Peter Crouch goal celebration (showing my age there) when changing up through the box.

Viper201

7,944 posts

146 months

Thursday 1st June 2023
quotequote all
phazed said:
You don’t get posts like this on the Porsche forum sadly.

More like, “should I fit carbon fibre cup holders !”

biglaugh
Just a Neighbourhood Watch update for you Peter. Its been a while...

My delightful neighbour, who has been very quiet since his second police caution, was burgled at 4am yesterday. After years of complaining about my CCTV system he asked a neighbour to get me to review the CCTV to identify the baddie. I had already reviewed it as we were overdue a prowler/car thief/burglar since November when 2 BMWs from neighbouring houses were attacked.

The footage was nice and clear as he walked under a lamp post and after 3 minutes breaking in - you could hear the door being forced so not subtle at all - the dog barks and the baddie runs across the front garden and off. Some minutes later the neighbour's wife comes out with the dog and goes after the baddie who is long gone by now thankfully because if he had a knife....

Police come to the house to see the footage. I told them he had his own CCTV now but it seems its a very cheap camera that's no good. I stop the review it when the baddie is under the lamp post and one plod gets excited and says, 'I know him, I got him sent down last time. He's only just come out. We'll get the red key and go and see him. Can we have a copy please?' For a very brief moment I nearly said no but my civic duty and all that.

This morning as the neighbour drives off to collect his grandson, he gives the CCTV camera the usual 2 finger salute. Luvly.

P.S. How is lovely Surrey? smile

QBee

21,176 posts

147 months

Thursday 1st June 2023
quotequote all
Ah, the Yorkshire salute, championed by Harvey Smith (those of you who watched showjumping on the telly back in the 1970s-80s will remember him).

Most of our local tossery comes from this area of the town:



I was watching an episode of Police Interceptors the other night and saw plod chase a stolen X3 around the Newark bypass and down the A46 towards Leicester....until said tossers realised they were running away from their home base, did a 3 point turn in the southbound carnageway and headed back north to Newark, the wrong way up the southbound carnageway.
Next plodmobile took up the chase into Newark at 80 in a 30, turning into the street at the bottom right of this photo, still at 70 mph, left into Mill Lane, over the bridge, left again into the dead end and crashed, nearly hitting a cyclist (no cheering, Peter). They then made off on cloven hoof to Tosser Central, home to "tree surgeons" and the like. Police, knowing where they were going, didn't even try to follow, instead collaring the 16 year old passenger, who was trapped in the car when it crashed.

phazed

21,900 posts

207 months

Thursday 1st June 2023
quotequote all
Viper201 said:
P.S. How is lovely Surrey? smile
Pretty good apart from them building new housing Estates here, there and everywhere! FFS, why do they need all this Housing? Just cut the population down and job done. Don’t know why anyone hasn’t thought of that.

Apart from that, Mrs phazed had furr Indian runner ducks given to her to compliment her 12 chickens. Of course that means me extending the enclosure, building a duck house and other stuff that takes me away from the more important things in life!

As for crime. Half an hours drive from me is the st hole called Crawley. where number one son duties on response with the rozzers. What a difference a short distance makes. Mind you, I think Crawley is in Sussex, so maybe it’s all good! If he is not attending to domestic violence, he is dealing with the usual scroats or being attacked by really nasty people and occasionally cutting down the odd body. All in a days work. They are not paid enough by far!

On the plus side, I have just clad the temporary scaffold enclosure for our Motorhome which makes it less of an eyesore to us! otherwise all good!



GeneralBanter

931 posts

18 months

Thursday 1st June 2023
quotequote all
We just have arsonists.

Apparently an arson attack didn’t warrant investigation until it was pointed out there has been about a dozen in 6 months all the same type.

Viper201

7,944 posts

146 months

Thursday 1st June 2023
quotequote all
QBee said:
Ah, the Yorkshire salute, championed by Harvey Smith (those of you who watched showjumping on the telly back in the 1970s-80s will remember him).

Most of our local tossery comes from this area of the town:



I was watching an episode of Police Interceptors the other night and saw plod chase a stolen X3 around the Newark bypass and down the A46 towards Leicester....until said tossers realised they were running away from their home base, did a 3 point turn in the southbound carnageway and headed back north to Newark, the wrong way up the southbound carnageway.
Next plodmobile took up the chase into Newark at 80 in a 30, turning into the street at the bottom right of this photo, still at 70 mph, left into Mill Lane, over the bridge, left again into the dead end and crashed, nearly hitting a cyclist (no cheering, Peter). They then made off on cloven hoof to Tosser Central, home to "tree surgeons" and the like. Police, knowing where they were going, didn't even try to follow, instead collaring the 16 year old passenger, who was trapped in the car when it crashed.
Ah Tolney Lane. Where no one works (officially), pay no tax of any description but have nice brand new cars with Transit pickups as their daily drivers. I believe the most common surname there is Gray. wink

Gazzab

21,154 posts

285 months

Thursday 1st June 2023
quotequote all
Classic Chim said:
Gazzab said:
500 bhp on doms rolling road. Is that 450 then ?
If you say so it must be true.

I’m never that bothered about numbers but listen to the video and it tells you that’s a finely tuned engine screaming its tits off thumbup
Brilliant.

Oldwolf

963 posts

196 months

Friday 2nd June 2023
quotequote all
Anyone else heading for Le Mans this year?

I'll be heading down on Sunday, hopefully in time to catch the last of the free practice.

baconsarney

12,000 posts

164 months

Friday 2nd June 2023
quotequote all
Oldwolf said:
Anyone else heading for Le Mans this year?

I'll be heading down on Sunday, hopefully in time to catch the last of the free practice.
Yep smile travelling down Wednesday back Tuesday after… which Sunday confused

Gazzab

21,154 posts

285 months

Friday 2nd June 2023
quotequote all
My girlfriends daughters team are already down there. United Autosport. Just seen her interviewed by the BBC. I really should drive down.

QBee

21,176 posts

147 months

Friday 2nd June 2023
quotequote all
baconsarney said:
Oldwolf said:
Anyone else heading for Le Mans this year?

I'll be heading down on Sunday, hopefully in time to catch the last of the free practice.
Yep smile travelling down Wednesday back Tuesday after… which Sunday confused
Which chariot? Let me guess - the one with air conditioning? smile

TwinKam

3,053 posts

98 months

Friday 2nd June 2023
quotequote all
QBee said:
baconsarney said:
Oldwolf said:
Anyone else heading for Le Mans this year?

I'll be heading down on Sunday, hopefully in time to catch the last of the free practice.
Yep smile travelling down Wednesday back Tuesday after… which Sunday confused
Which chariot? Let me guess - the one with air conditioning? smile


whistle

Oldwolf

963 posts

196 months

Friday 2nd June 2023
quotequote all
TwinKam said:
QBee said:
baconsarney said:
Oldwolf said:
Anyone else heading for Le Mans this year?

I'll be heading down on Sunday, hopefully in time to catch the last of the free practice.
Yep smile travelling down Wednesday back Tuesday after… which Sunday confused
Which chariot? Let me guess - the one with air conditioning? smile


whistle
That's me, benefitting from God's own air conditioning 😁

baconsarney

12,000 posts

164 months

Saturday 3rd June 2023
quotequote all
QBee said:
Which chariot? Let me guess - the one with air conditioning? smile
Ford Galaxy smile

Jon39

12,987 posts

146 months

Saturday 3rd June 2023
quotequote all

Oldwolf said:
Anyone else heading for Le Mans this year?

Will Les be attending again with his TVR works racing team?



"TVR wins Le Mans. I have always said TVR could do it."


I have not looked in for a while. Noticed that gardening has been replaced by crime.


Don1

15,996 posts

211 months

Saturday 3rd June 2023
quotequote all
QBee said:
Unlike all other rolling roads, Dom quotes the BHP at the wheels, ie the only true number you get from a rolling road.

But TVR owners like to brag about big numbers, so others use the mathematically coerrected BHP at the flywheel number, which is 15 to 20% higher than the wheel BHP.
Hence when someone shows us their graph for a well modified Griff 500 naturally aspirated and it shows 360 bhp, that would be somewhere in the region of 305 bhp on Dom's rolling road.

Cutting to the chase, the Facebook post by Dom in the TVR group, of a supercharged grey N reg Griff showing 478 wheel BHP would read about 580 bhp at the flywheel on anyone else's rolling road.

Presumably a lot of development has gone on with that car, as it wouldn't survive that level of power on a standard RV8 engine and TVR chassis. It would need forged engine internals, probably a stonger power train and possibly a change of gearbox too. Then you would need the chassis strengthening as well.
Anyone going "wow, I must get a supercharger" needs to bear in mind that the supercharger part of the equation is just the first 20% of the total cost. I know a TVR owner who supercharged his Chimaera, got over 470 bhp at the flywheel, but not before he had had to rebuild the engine and change the gearbox - his original engine destroyed itself.

Major power increases from an RV8 engine are possible, but while a bit cheaper, are rather similar in cost profile to swapping to an LS3 engine. The LS3 engine itself, when I looked into it about 5 years ago, was less than £5,000. I got a quote from Sportmotive for the all the neccesary bits, and it was £18,000, installation labour was just £3,000 on top.
Then whatever you do, don't look at the modified Speed Six wiki that shows a car a few days apart showing 1bhp difference between 'at the wheels' and not.... Definitely wouldn't advise that.

Polly Grigora

11,209 posts

112 months

Saturday 3rd June 2023
quotequote all
Any veg news? or salad

Oldwolf

963 posts

196 months

Sunday 4th June 2023
quotequote all
Polly Grigora said:
Any veg news? or salad
Mrs Wolf has grown spinach which we're using as a salad leaf so that covers both smile

glow worm

6,015 posts

230 months

Sunday 4th June 2023
quotequote all
Don1 said:
QBee said:
Unlike all other rolling roads, Dom quotes the BHP at the wheels, ie the only true number you get from a rolling road.

But TVR owners like to brag about big numbers, so others use the mathematically coerrected BHP at the flywheel number, which is 15 to 20% higher than the wheel BHP.
Hence when someone shows us their graph for a well modified Griff 500 naturally aspirated and it shows 360 bhp, that would be somewhere in the region of 305 bhp on Dom's rolling road.

Cutting to the chase, the Facebook post by Dom in the TVR group, of a supercharged grey N reg Griff showing 478 wheel BHP would read about 580 bhp at the flywheel on anyone else's rolling road.

Presumably a lot of development has gone on with that car, as it wouldn't survive that level of power on a standard RV8 engine and TVR chassis. It would need forged engine internals, probably a stonger power train and possibly a change of gearbox too. Then you would need the chassis strengthening as well.
Anyone going "wow, I must get a supercharger" needs to bear in mind that the supercharger part of the equation is just the first 20% of the total cost. I know a TVR owner who supercharged his Chimaera, got over 470 bhp at the flywheel, but not before he had had to rebuild the engine and change the gearbox - his original engine destroyed itself.

Major power increases from an RV8 engine are possible, but while a bit cheaper, are rather similar in cost profile to swapping to an LS3 engine. The LS3 engine itself, when I looked into it about 5 years ago, was less than £5,000. I got a quote from Sportmotive for the all the neccesary bits, and it was £18,000, installation labour was just £3,000 on top.
Then whatever you do, don't look at the modified Speed Six wiki that shows a car a few days apart showing 1bhp difference between 'at the wheels' and not.... Definitely wouldn't advise that.
I think that's the point .... Don't believe any comparisons between rolling roads or take the figures as quantitative ... obviously the bhp at the wheels will be lower that at the flywheel because of gearbox, differential and wheel losses... and I'd surmise 15-20% to be a realistic figure .