!! VMAX VI !!

!! VMAX VI !!

Author
Discussion

Lois-PIE

14,706 posts

217 months

Sunday 24th October 2004
quotequote all
Muncher said:

Lois-PIE said:
Damn it I have to work





I was going to say "shotgun the first ride"


One day!

DustyC

12,786 posts

219 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all


Right colour?
(Wrong badges/plate though and probably wrong wheels too!)

>> Edited by DustyC on Monday 25th October 08:33

DustyC

12,786 posts

219 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
Whats the braking distance after the timing gear?

(I know you told me yesterday Gazboy but just getting different opinions).

MOD500

2,664 posts

215 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
DustyC said:
Whats the braking distance after the timing gear?

(I know you told me yesterday Gazboy but just getting different opinions).


Don't know the numbers, but plenty.

I hit 160 in the Chim500 and was stopping safety (in the wet) in time to make the bottom corner at the end of the straight.

I reckon just take it steady at first, building up your confidence (and speed) gradually till you are comfortable with braking from flat out (thats what I did anyway).

Thanks


MOD.

rods

1,798 posts

218 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
DustyC said:
Whats the braking distance after the timing gear?

(I know you told me yesterday Gazboy but just getting different opinions).


Not sure exactly 500m at a guess but their is a run off lane

shadytree

8,291 posts

214 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
Got another slow puncture end of last week!!
That's the second in a month

New rubber today , ready for Sunday. Might have to put a few miles on the clock before Sunday

not looking forward to this at all

oggs

8,759 posts

219 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
shadytree said:
Got another slow puncture end of last week!!
That's the second in a month

New rubber today , ready for Sunday. Might have to put a few miles on the clock before Sunday

not looking forward to this at all


Just think Derestricted

shadytree

8,291 posts

214 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
oggs said:


Just think Derestricted

oggs

8,759 posts

219 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
shadytree said:

oggs said:


Just think Derestricted




We need another special photo

shadytree

8,291 posts

214 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
oggs said:


We need another special photo


I'm taking the bullet Cam !

DustyC

12,786 posts

219 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
MOD500 said:

I hit 160 in the Chim500 and was stopping safety (in the wet) in time to make the bottom corner at the end of the straight.



Perfect advice, thanks.

(Im assuming you were on the standard brakes?!)

MOD500

2,664 posts

215 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
EBC Green Pads with standard discs, etc.

You'll be fine

granville

18,764 posts

226 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
I semi know how you feel, Shadytree.

Last night, having finally figured out the intricasies of an air compressor that had lain dormant for several aeons in the darkest recesses of the garage, it was beetle tyre check time.

Unsurprisingly, the levels on the driver's side were every which way but loose (do any dealers ever return cars having checked this most critical of items?) but I was delighted by the ease with which this was detected and rectified: none of this crawling around a freezing forecourt in demi light, worrying about being clumped by some dozey Dane in an arctic.

Alas, on swinging round the passenger side, the only result of the compressor's nozzle-tyre valve interface was a distressing hiss as the randomn pressures that were, ebbed vigourously away...wtf, thought I?

Closer inspection revealed two ruddy great chunks missing from each of the valves' threads, thus preventing a true seal at nozzle time, allowing only dread deflation.

Conjecturing wildly, I recalled my impromptu off road escapade at a recent track day, recalling the loss of the dust caps simultaneously...that must've been it.

Unimpressed by this reality (the car should have come back to me 100% recently), it seems that a trip to the local tyre specialists is in order and a full wheel balancing session to boot.

Not what you need on the eve of one of Christendom's more liberatingly gruntialogical, socio-hoonistic evets.

Bloody garbage.

nel

4,653 posts

206 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
derestrictor said:
I semi know how you feel, Shadytree.

Last night, having finally figured out the intricasies of an air compressor that had lain dormant for several aeons in the darkest recesses of the garage, it was beetle tyre check time.

Unsurprisingly, the levels on the driver's side were every which way but loose (do any dealers ever return cars having checked this most critical of items?) but I was delighted by the ease with which this was detected and rectified: none of this crawling around a freezing forecourt in demi light, worrying about being clumped by some dozey Dane in an arctic.

Alas, on swinging round the passenger side, the only result of the compressor's nozzle-tyre valve interface was a distressing hiss as the randomn pressures that were, ebbed vigourously away...wtf, thought I?

Closer inspection revealed two ruddy great chunks missing from each of the valves' threads, thus preventing a true seal at nozzle time, allowing only dread deflation.

Conjecturing wildly, I recalled my impromptu off road escapade at a recent track day, recalling the loss of the dust caps simultaneously...that must've been it.

Unimpressed by this reality (the car should have come back to me 100% recently), it seems that a trip to the local tyre specialists is in order and a full wheel balancing session to boot.

Not what you need on the eve of one of Christendom's more liberatingly gruntialogical, socio-hoonistic evets.

Bloody garbage.


Well if you WILL go badger hunting you have to expect them to sink their teeth into your protrusions...

I sympathise - the thought of impending VMaxation makes minor issues suddenly seem more significant. I've had a slight oil drip from a cam cover gasket for a while now, but was planning to leave it for the next service. The other evening, having cleaned the car a few days before, I took it out for a late night hooligan-fest. With the idea of a shaking her down and blowing away the cobwebs, I got up to 150 on a nice little private road that I know - presumably the oil build up on the undertray was loosened by the breeze at that speed because the back of the car was covered with little oil droplets.

I'm tired of faffing around and sticking her up on axlestands so haven't investigated to see if the oil leak really has got worse - my paranoia of something going wrong on THE day means she's off to the garage tonight to get the gasket replaced. Roll on my garage extension with 2 post lift...

adam g

3,827 posts

247 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
Hi,

Been a member for ages but never really posted much. I am heading up on Sunday from North London and was wondering if there are any meetings on the way up. Would be nice to have a little warm-up hoon on the way.

Cheers

Adam
S4S

adam g

3,827 posts

247 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
Sure. You need a lift up there ir just want a ride at Vmax?

rico

7,916 posts

220 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
adam g said:
Sure. You need a lift up there ir just want a ride at Vmax?


Where abouts in London are you? Check out the London forum... drinkies coming up

GregE240

10,857 posts

232 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
rico said:

adam g said:
Sure. You need a lift up there ir just want a ride at Vmax?



Where abouts in London are you? Check out the London forum... drinkies coming up
Do you show up at that and ponce drinks off everyone Rico?

MOD500

2,664 posts

215 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all

shadytree

8,291 posts

214 months

Monday 25th October 2004
quotequote all
GregE240 said:

Do you show up at that and ponce drinks off everyone Rico?


you've met him then

only joking Rico