TR4 V8 build

TR4 V8 build

Author
Discussion

cwin

Original Poster:

944 posts

186 months

Tuesday 20th September 2016
quotequote all
Thought I'd share a build I'm on with,I know some will hate it but i already have a near concorse Tr4 and fancy building one with around 500hp per tonne.
Brief spec is...new crate ls3 engine with new 6060 6 speed manual gearbox,Monaro diff, custom drive shafts,rear disc brakes,4 pot front brakes,full SW motorsport cage,

cwin

Original Poster:

944 posts

186 months

Tuesday 20th September 2016
quotequote all





cwin

Original Poster:

944 posts

186 months

Tuesday 20th September 2016
quotequote all
Car is going for dipping tomorrow before the new cills and floors ect get welded in. Chassis is being blasted and will have several coats of pain after any repairs and extra strengthening are done. The engine that's in is just a mock fit so the engine mounts an gearbox mounts can be welder in place.

Yertis

16,221 posts

233 months

Wednesday 21st September 2016
quotequote all
Not quite the craziest engine I've seen anyone try to put in a TR4 (that was a Rolls Royce Gnome if you're wondering) but still impressive!

alolympic

700 posts

164 months

Sunday 14th January 2018
quotequote all
Amazing project, is it progressing?

Bebee

4,582 posts

192 months

Thursday 18th January 2018
quotequote all
Looking forward to seeing the result. Good luck.

cwin

Original Poster:

944 posts

186 months

Saturday 20th January 2018
quotequote all
Bebee said:
Looking forward to seeing the result. Good luck.
I finished it in time for summer, it's very fast and handles really well, 480 bhp and same torque in under 950kg,


|https://thumbsnap.com/XwOkDGSF[/url]

I didn't think anyone was interested in the thread so I didn't bother posting pictures of the build,
I have lots of them.

Craig

cwin

Original Poster:

944 posts

186 months

Saturday 20th January 2018
quotequote all

Hansoplast

570 posts

127 months

Saturday 10th February 2018
quotequote all
Hi Cwin.

Nice car, but you must have heard that before.

I am restoring a TR4A and thinking of wheels (and many more things). What type are yours and which size of types are on the car?
Are there spacers used?

Thanks
Hans

Dinoboy

2,080 posts

184 months

Saturday 10th February 2018
quotequote all
Wow that's cracking, what a beast!

Bebee

4,582 posts

192 months

Saturday 10th February 2018
quotequote all
I saw it on your other thread, I though wow he's finished that quick!

Anyway, it's a stunner, love Triumph me.

cwin

Original Poster:

944 posts

186 months

Monday 19th February 2018
quotequote all
Hansoplast said:
Hi Cwin.

Nice car, but you must have heard that before.

I am restoring a TR4A and thinking of wheels (and many more things). What type are yours and which size of types are on the car?
Are there spacers used?

Thanks
Hans
Sorry for the late reply, they are revolution wheels 7" in diameter, small hub centric spacers to get the right offset

Yertis

16,221 posts

233 months

Tuesday 20th February 2018
quotequote all
cwin said:
|https://thumbsnap.com/XwOkDGSF[/url]

Craig
Can you explain the plumbing and filters on the boot floor? (I get the fuel pump bit!)

cwin

Original Poster:

944 posts

186 months

Thursday 22nd February 2018
quotequote all
Yertis said:
Can you explain the plumbing and filters on the boot floor? (I get the fuel pump bit!)
Twin half inch outlets from either side of the tank running trough two inline (pre pump) filters to the pump, then onto a BMW X5 fuel filter ( high pressure) with built in pressure regulator.

Hope that helps

cwin

Original Poster:

944 posts

186 months

Thursday 22nd February 2018
quotequote all



tapkaJohnD

1,610 posts

171 months

Friday 23rd February 2018
quotequote all
Two fuel filter AND the fuel pump UNDERNEATH the car? On an open panel? Without even a stone deflector?
Ludicrously vulnerable,IMHO!

I have fuel injection on my Vitesse. The pumps etc are all inside the boot, the fuel lines run in the recess of the chassis rails, as protected as can be, unless I ran them inside the car (no thanks! Not at 110psi!)
But hey! It's your car!

Tell me, how does BMW fuel injection deal with air in the line? You have a fuel outlet at either side of the tank, I presume to deal with surge, but the pump will draw air in preference to fuel if one outlet is exposed. Is there some sort of swirl pot between pump and injectors?

JOhn

cwin

Original Poster:

944 posts

186 months

Saturday 24th February 2018
quotequote all
tapkaJohnD said:
Two fuel filter AND the fuel pump UNDERNEATH the car? On an open panel? Without even a stone deflector?
Ludicrously vulnerable,IMHO!

I have fuel injection on my Vitesse. The pumps etc are all inside the boot, the fuel lines run in the recess of the chassis rails, as protected as can be, unless I ran them inside the car (no thanks! Not at 110psi!)
But hey! It's your car!

Tell me, how does BMW fuel injection deal with air in the line? You have a fuel outlet at either side of the tank, I presume to deal with surge, but the pump will draw air in preference to fuel if one outlet is exposed. Is there some sort of swirl pot between pump and injectors?

JOhn
Hi John,

The pictures are of the car in a being built process, it has a nimbus grill heat protected shield covering it, it's pretty obvious as you can see no exhaust is fitted, but if I had put the shield on it before I took the picture you obviously wouldn't have seen it ? My fuel lines also run in the recess on the chassis, I have built and modified many cars including race cars and would like to think I know what I'm doing and can assure you I dont leave anything "Ludicrously vunrerable" Are you not aware that most OEM systems run the filters external and the pumps external unless they are in tank pumps ?

It isn't a BMW fuel injection system it's a Chevy LS3, I didn't say it was, what I did say was i have used a BMW hp fuel filter which has a fuel pressure regulator built in which uses the right amount of pressure for this engine.

No swirl pot needed the way this has been done I can run the tank to really empty even on the track,and why would it get air in the lines ?




Edited by cwin on Saturday 24th February 20:05

citizen smith

647 posts

148 months

Saturday 24th February 2018
quotequote all
Superb job mate, a fast TR4 was always a car that I wanted to own.

Had a few TR6's in the late 70's (nippy in their time), but they lacked the style of the TR4's and TR5's of quality, were out of my reach.

Your car looks great, small in stature but bags of style, with more than adequate pace to embarrass modern performance cars of any type.

Way to Go.

cwin

Original Poster:

944 posts

186 months

Saturday 24th February 2018
quotequote all
citizen smith said:
Superb job mate, a fast TR4 was always a car that I wanted to own.

Had a few TR6's in the late 70's (nippy in their time), but they lacked the style of the TR4's and TR5's of quality, were out of my reach.

Your car looks great, small in stature but bags of style, with more than adequate pace to embarrass modern performance cars of any type.

Way to Go.
Thanks for the comments, it's ballistic fast to be honest, my son owns a supercharged Arial atom and this destroyed it....

citizen smith

647 posts

148 months

Saturday 24th February 2018
quotequote all
cwin said:
Thanks for the comments, it's ballistic fast to be honest, my son owns a supercharged Arial atom and this destroyed it....
Your car sounds even better now and the original design was a ROAD Car. What a "TRIUMPHANT" piece of engineering.

I bet your son was a bit peeved to say the least!