How much should I expect to pay for a machine polish?

How much should I expect to pay for a machine polish?

Author
Discussion

MrGTI6

Original Poster:

2,141 posts

97 months

Thursday 17th June
quotequote all
I bought a car at the beginning of the year and, as someone who doesn't usually worry too much about how a car looks, even I think the finish is appalling. It appears as though the previous owner tried polishing it blindfolded while being bummed by a gorilla. There's swirl marks galore and wax that hasn't been buffed off properly. It really does look awful!

I don't have the equipment nor the inclination to do it myself, so how much I should be expecting to pay roughly?

Thanks!

MrGTI6

Original Poster:

2,141 posts

97 months

Thursday 17th June
quotequote all
Thanks, that's good to know. What exactly is the difference between a single-stage polish and a two-stage polish?

V8covin

3,998 posts

160 months

Thursday 17th June
quotequote all
MrGTI6 said:
Thanks, that's good to know. What exactly is the difference between a single-stage polish and a two-stage polish?
£150 biggrin

V8covin

3,998 posts

160 months

Thursday 17th June
quotequote all
I'd do a 2-stage machine polish for circa £200 but I'm a bodyshop not a detailer smile

MrGTI6

Original Poster:

2,141 posts

97 months

Thursday 17th June
quotequote all
V8covin said:
I'd do a 2-stage machine polish for circa £200 but I'm a bodyshop not a detailer smile
That would suit me! It's a 22-year-old car, not looking for perfection, I just want it to look presentable! Don't suppose you're anywhere near Kent by any chance?

V8covin

3,998 posts

160 months

Thursday 17th June
quotequote all
MrGTI6 said:
That would suit me! It's a 22-year-old car, not looking for perfection, I just want it to look presentable! Don't suppose you're anywhere near Kent by any chance?
No,Stoke mate.
You'll probably have to pay more being in the affluent south smile

Trophy Husband

3,412 posts

74 months

Thursday 17th June
quotequote all
MrGTI6 said:
tried polishing it blindfolded while being bummed by a gorilla.
Thanks!
Sorry can't help but this tickled me pink!

Belle427

5,478 posts

200 months

Friday 18th June
quotequote all
Buy the kit and have a go, you can't do any damage with a DA polisher if your sensible.
Loads of good guides on you tube.

steveo3002

8,480 posts

141 months

Friday 18th June
quotequote all
agree you can buy the polisher yourself then you have it for next time

dont get too sucked up by detaiiers 100 step £££ deals , you can get great results yourself

stevemcs

5,732 posts

60 months

Friday 18th June
quotequote all
V8covin said:
I'd do a 2-stage machine polish for circa £200 but I'm a bodyshop not a detailer smile
Ah so likely to use 3m and not tears from an angel in a glitzy studio with a reveal cover smile

V8covin

3,998 posts

160 months

Friday 18th June
quotequote all
stevemcs said:
Ah so likely to use 3m and not tears from an angel in a glitzy studio with a reveal cover smile
I'm all out of snake oil too

MrGTI6

Original Poster:

2,141 posts

97 months

Friday 18th June
quotequote all
Thanks for the responses, definitely worth looking into getting one and giving it a go myself. Even if I only ever use it once!

Chubbyross

2,239 posts

52 months

Saturday 19th June
quotequote all
MrGTI6 said:
Thanks for the responses, definitely worth looking into getting one and giving it a go myself. Even if I only ever use it once!
Definitely worth giving it a go. It’s rather therapeutic, not to mention highly addictive. It doesn’t cost a fortune to get started but can lead to spending big bucks within a year or two. I started out with a £100 DA polisher, a few pads and polishes. Within a year I ended up with three high-end polishers, dozens of pads, and friends and family queuing up for my services.



steveo3002

8,480 posts

141 months

Saturday 19th June
quotequote all
stevemcs said:
Ah so likely to use 3m and not tears from an angel in a glitzy studio with a reveal cover smile
1 hr polishing the car , 4 hrs taking pics for instagram

Pastor Of Muppets

1,165 posts

29 months

Sunday 20th June
quotequote all
An alternative..... I have seen some folks use a cordless drill with the polishing mop to good effect, if you have a drill all you
need is the pad.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384173140724?hash=item5... ,some compound,
and you're off, job done for under 20 quid.

curvature

82 posts

41 months

Thursday 24th June
quotequote all
Pastor Of Muppets said:
An alternative..... I have seen some folks use a cordless drill with the polishing mop to good effect, if you have a drill all you
need is the pad.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384173140724?hash=item5... ,some compound,
and you're off, job done for under 20 quid.
I wouldn't recommend this unless you know what you are doing, it is very easy to damage paintwork this way.

A DA polisher will stop moving if you put too much pressure on it where as the above mentioned drill is could wear through the lacquer before you realise.

I bought a DA the other year and it is money well spent. I only use a medium and fine pad and just recently bought some CARPRO Essense which is brilliant.

I got mine with a discount as below -

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread....

steveo3002

8,480 posts

141 months

Friday 25th June
quotequote all
id stay away from the drill attachments too

Chubbyross

2,239 posts

52 months

Friday 25th June
quotequote all
If you want to do it properly get started with a DA or forced rotation DA. I got myself a cordless Flex forced action DA last year, along with the Flex PXE mini rotary and DA polisher. I’ve just finished a week-long 2-stage paint correction on my Boxster. I’m not a pro but it takes a long time to get to near perfection. Just watch any White Details video on YouTube to get an idea. Gratuitous photo inclusion...