A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

Author
Discussion

Escort3500

8,167 posts

111 months

Saturday 10th April
quotequote all
uk66fastback said:
I’d say 62/63 at a push ... is that a Farnham Estate? I always thought they were as rare as hen’s teeth, but that’s only maybe now they’ve all but rusted away.
They weren’t common in the day due to cost, and are pretty rare now as most have rusted away (along with their much more common saloon cousins). There’s a rare Zephyr convertible middle right too - very glam at this time and very sought after today.

52classic

1,989 posts

176 months

Saturday 10th April
quotequote all
Row 7, right hand side Rolls Silver Wraith. I think I see 3 yanks and 2 105e. My vote as to year is 1962

52classic

1,989 posts

176 months

Saturday 10th April
quotequote all
Over on the far left AC 2 litre and a Renault 4CV. The collection gets more interesting by the minute. Is the combination on the front row missing a wheel? Early anti theft device?

21st Century Man

35,644 posts

214 months

Saturday 10th April
quotequote all
uk66fastback said:
Shamelessly nicked from FB.



2CV, a couple of Beetles, what year do you think?
When only one in two hundred couldn't park, compared to one in six today.

TarquinMX5

718 posts

46 months

Saturday 10th April
quotequote all
Isn't it a MK1 Jag second row, not MK11 (window looks narrower)?


Lily the Pink

3,676 posts

136 months

Saturday 10th April
quotequote all
TarquinMX5 said:
Isn't it a MK1 Jag second row, not MK11 (window looks narrower)?
Agreed.

P5BNij

8,857 posts

72 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
Trafalgar Square in the '70s....


2 sMoKiN bArReLs

26,484 posts

201 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
TarquinMX5 said:
Isn't it a MK1 Jag second row, not MK11 (window looks narrower)?
scratchchin I didn't even know they made a mark eleven? hehe



Dapster

5,274 posts

146 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Trafalgar Square in the '70s....

Volvo middle right must be pretty spanking new!

21st Century Man

35,644 posts

214 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
You can always tell the brand new cars in these photo's, they're the ones that only look four or five years old. The four or five year old cars are the ones that look ready for scrapping.

Tyre Smoke

17,422 posts

227 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
Dapster said:
P5BNij said:
Trafalgar Square in the '70s....

Volvo middle right must be pretty spanking new!
Why?

Looks like a 244. 1974 onwards.

Hippea

544 posts

35 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
uk66fastback said:
Shamelessly nicked from FB.



2CV, a couple of Beetles, what year do you think?

Edited by uk66fastback on Saturday 10th April 13:03
I like how all the Beetles have parked together

Dapster

5,274 posts

146 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
Tyre Smoke said:
Dapster said:
P5BNij said:
Trafalgar Square in the '70s....

Volvo middle right must be pretty spanking new!
Why?

Looks like a 244. 1974 onwards.
Well, it looks new especially compared to the detritus around it. The Stag looks like it's on a "P" so pic must be '75/6 at the earliest. That's quite a late Stag.

Stevepolly

129 posts

32 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
TarquinMX5 said:
Isn't it a MK1 Jag second row, not MK11 (window looks narrower)?
Recon the other one on the right is mk2 though.

TarquinMX5

718 posts

46 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
Stevepolly said:
TarquinMX5 said:
Isn't it a MK1 Jag second row, not MK11 (window looks narrower)?
Recon the other one on the right is mk2 though.
Ah, yes; missed that one smile

TarquinMX5

718 posts

46 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
2 sMoKiN bArReLs said:
TarquinMX5 said:
Isn't it a MK1 Jag second row, not MK11 (window looks narrower)?
scratchchin I didn't even know they made a mark eleven? hehe
Fair comment, MK11, MKII or MK2 ? biggrin

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

26,484 posts

201 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
TarquinMX5 said:
2 sMoKiN bArReLs said:
TarquinMX5 said:
Isn't it a MK1 Jag second row, not MK11 (window looks narrower)?
scratchchin I didn't even know they made a mark eleven? hehe
Fair comment, MK11, MKII or MK2 ? biggrin
hehe

It's always two letter i as in Roman Numerals. thumbup

Couldn't resist, sorry biggrin

V6 Pushfit

16,503 posts

76 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
2 sMoKiN bArReLs said:
hehe

It's always two letter i as in Roman Numerals. thumbup

Couldn't resist, sorry biggrin
Like the MK X that went on to become the Jaguar CDXX G.

TarquinMX5

718 posts

46 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
2 sMoKiN bArReLs said:
TarquinMX5 said:
2 sMoKiN bArReLs said:
TarquinMX5 said:
Isn't it a MK1 Jag second row, not MK11 (window looks narrower)?
scratchchin I didn't even know they made a mark eleven? hehe
Fair comment, MK11, MKII or MK2 ? biggrin
hehe

It's always two letter i as in Roman Numerals. thumbup

Couldn't resist, sorry biggrin
No, well deserved wink

My basic error and as an (ex) Latin scholar (true) it was an unforgiveable typo teacher

My question was around when / who started the use of MKII; I've seen old brochures showing Mark 2, Jaguar's original publicity photos had Mark 2 on the numberplates, cars badged MK2. Of course, Jaguar were guilty of using Mark 8, Mrk 8, MKVIII and likewise I've seen one advert showing both MKIX and mark nine!

RichB

45,188 posts

250 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
Don't know what happened to my post but obviously Jaguar thought it was a Mark 2 as per this owner's handbook.