A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

Author
Discussion

thedugmaster

1,637 posts

125 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
Composer62 said:
OptionalExtra said:
What’s the car between the Rover and the Mini in this one - Lotus Europa?

Yep, that's definitely a Europa.
Surely it's a trick of the camera and not actually on town and countries as it looks!?!?

rhoderunner

11 posts

18 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
Dapster said:
Overheating still a problem even as recently as 1976 (albeit during the heatwave). Even the Jag has all the windows open - no aircon! Approach to Heathrow.

Wow!!, three Renault 16's & a Simca 1501S. Two of my Dad's car list from the mid 60's, early 70's :-)

Edited by rhoderunner on Wednesday 21st April 09:00

Cakey Pig

320 posts

29 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
evojam said:
Bit of tinkering on a sunday...

Stevie Wonder passes driving test.

V6 Pushfit

16,503 posts

76 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
RichB said:
aeropilot said:
Is that some sort of 30's sportscar broken down on the hard shoulder on the right with a couple of guys looking at it.........looks like its got cycle type wings on it, and its not a Seven? Could be a kit car/replica I suppose, even in '76..
There's two of them, slightly different cars because the windscreen shapes are different. It could be a 1930s car, the brake drums look sizable, the headlamps look like genuine Lucas P100s and the radiator is set well behind the axle line. Tell-tale signs of kit cars, especially in the '70s were: MGB front suspension and disc brakes, 7" sealed beam headlamps and the rad perched up-front instead of set well back. I can't say what it is though.

Edited by RichB on Wednesday 21st April 08:56
I was going to say Talbot - and possibly identify three of the people but not sure.

Dapster

5,274 posts

146 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
john2443 said:
Dapster said:
Overheating still a problem even as recently as 1976 (albeit during the heatwave). Even the Jag has all the windows open - no aircon! Approach to Heathrow.
What has changed, cooling wise, since then? Is it just electric fans or do cars have bigger radiators or more efficient engines?
More sophisticated materials that dissipate heat more effectively, better airflow management and active technologies that can change the flow of oil and water around the engine as required, better thermostats and fans.... I'd imagine it's the advancement of materials science that has had the biggest contribution. Given a modern production car turbocharger operates at exhaust gas temperatures of around 1000 C it's quite incredible how far we've come.

RichB

45,188 posts

250 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
Cakey Pig said:
evojam said:
Bit of tinkering on a sunday...

Stevie Wonder passes driving test.
confused

Venisonpie

1,441 posts

48 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
RichB said:
P5BNij said:
Instant childhood flashback - I remember those BA double deckers with their little trailers whizzing past the end of my Nan's road in Hammersmith along the A4(M) on their way to Heathrow.
What road did your nan live in, you mentioned Colet Gardens in the 'Was London dirty' thread. My gran lived in No1 Shortlands...
Cromwell Avenue, just off the Chiswick end of King Street, my uncle still lives there. At the end of the road there's a pathway that leads under the A4(M) and comes out in Furnival Gardens wink
As a current Chiswickian I know the area well!

The buses I think (likely be proved very wrong) are RML's with the longer final drive ratio allowing a higher top speed for trips to and from the airport. I had one in a fleet 15 or so years ago and it turned out it was this configuration which was handy as it was used for nationwide promo events.


P5BNij

8,857 posts

72 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
thedugmaster said:
Composer62 said:
OptionalExtra said:
What’s the car between the Rover and the Mini in this one - Lotus Europa?

Yep, that's definitely a Europa.
Surely it's a trick of the camera and not actually on town and countries as it looks!?!?
Twin-Cam or Special judging by the cut down rear without the buttresses of the S1 and S2.

The Mk2 Mini 1000 next to it is probably the rarest car in the pic, Mk2s were only made between September '67 and February '70 with most survivors donating their shells towards Cooper / Cooper S resto projects later on. I'll hazard a guess that the colour tone of the pic means it's probably in 'BMC Maroon B'. My third car was a '70 Morris Mini 1000 in the same colour, sadly it rotted away before I could afford to restore it but I've still got the old green logbook, the original Bluemels number plates and the badges stashed away.



RLW7W

6 posts

51 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
My first car, a Mini Clubman 1100. Photo was taken back in the 80's and judging by the snow, might have been 1987.


Johnspex

3,153 posts

150 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
Venisonpie said:
P5BNij said:
RichB said:
P5BNij said:
Instant childhood flashback - I remember those BA double deckers with their little trailers whizzing past the end of my Nan's road in Hammersmith along the A4(M) on their way to Heathrow.
What road did your nan live in, you mentioned Colet Gardens in the 'Was London dirty' thread. My gran lived in No1 Shortlands...
Cromwell Avenue, just off the Chiswick end of King Street, my uncle still lives there. At the end of the road there's a pathway that leads under the A4(M) and comes out in Furnival Gardens wink
As a current Chiswickian I know the area well!

The buses I think (likely be proved very wrong) are RML's with the longer final drive ratio allowing a higher top speed for trips to and from the airport. I had one in a fleet 15 or so years ago and it turned out it was this configuration which was handy as it was used for nationwide promo events.
A current Chiswickian?

Do you know the opticians beside the Barley Mow Pub?
I used to own that.

RichB

45,188 posts

250 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
Johnspex said:
A current Chiswickian? Do you know the opticians beside the Barley Mow Pub?
I used to own that.
Years ago there used to be a dentists on the Chiswick High Road called Dr Fang. rofl

Venisonpie

1,441 posts

48 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
Johnspex said:
A current Chiswickian?

Do you know the opticians beside the Barley Mow Pub?
I used to own that.
I think there's one next to an Estate Agent if that's it?

V6 Pushfit

16,503 posts

76 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
RichB said:
Years ago there used to be a dentists on the Chiswick High Road called Dr Fang. rofl
There’s a 2.30 line there.

Johnspex

3,153 posts

150 months

Wednesday 21st April
quotequote all
Venisonpie said:
Johnspex said:
A current Chiswickian?

Do you know the opticians beside the Barley Mow Pub?
I used to own that.
I think there's one next to an Estate Agent if that's it?
Between the hairdresser and the state agent, separated from the pub by the alley way, that's the one.

some bloke

323 posts

33 months

Saturday 24th April
quotequote all
My dad and my younger brother, with a Jensen Healy in NZ around 1977. Not ours sadly; owned by a visitor.


Stick Legs

1,822 posts

131 months

Sunday 25th April
quotequote all
More recent than most, but some interesting cars here for sale. Never seen so many Virages in one place!

Apologies for showing a dealer but it is interesting how much more ‘polished’ Aston Martin sales are now!

CarCareWorks around 2000, the Punto was my mates car, less than a year old so that’s my ‘bye’ for the spirit of this thread.
Nice Citröen van as well!






Sparky137

677 posts

147 months

Sunday 25th April
quotequote all
You could add another zero to the price sticker on the DBS nowadays!!!

aeropilot

24,426 posts

193 months

Sunday 25th April
quotequote all
Can't get more 1960's Southern California than this................a surfer's Woody full of surf boards parked up on a beach road.



P5BNij

8,857 posts

72 months

Sunday 25th April
quotequote all
What do you think it is aero, a Ford, Chevy or something else maybe...?



Somewhere in the US, 1965.... white car looks like a '64-ish Impala.... nice Plymouth Fury II behind the old split screen Dodge....


aeropilot

24,426 posts

193 months

Sunday 25th April
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
What do you think it is aero, a Ford, Chevy or something else maybe...?
Looks like a 1946-48 Ford.

Probably a few hundred bucks back in the 60's, worth about !00k+ today.