A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

Author
Discussion

RATATTAK

6,998 posts

155 months

Sunday 25th April
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
Looks like a 1946-48 Ford.

Probably a few hundred bucks back in the 60's, worth about !00k+ today.
Good call


aeropilot

24,483 posts

193 months

Sunday 25th April
quotequote all
Katoomba, Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia, sometime in the 1950's by the looks of it.


finlo

2,364 posts

169 months

Sunday 25th April
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
Katoomba, Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia, sometime in the 1950's by the looks of it.

Stretched limo on it's way to a hen night!

Johnspex

3,160 posts

150 months

Sunday 25th April
quotequote all
Looks like Smalltown USA but with British cars.
Interesting.

What is that large car going right to left? Looks like it might some form of public transport but a little on the small side.

moffspeed

1,551 posts

173 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
Packard 90 “Super 8” - an airport limo - note the 8 doors.

Predecessor of the far more common Checker limos that plied US airports in the 70’/80s, I rode in a few which tells you something about my age.

The Checker Aerobus :



Edited by moffspeed on Monday 26th April 08:45

Johnspex

3,160 posts

150 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
I went to the British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch in 67 and they were offering rides round the track in a Checker which tells you something about my age.

bigothunter

1,197 posts

26 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
moffspeed said:
Packard 90 “Super 8” - an airport limo - note the 8 doors.

Predecessor of the far more common Checker limos that plied US airports in the 70’/80s, I rode in a few which tells you something about my age.

The Checker Aerobus :



Edited by moffspeed on Monday 26th April 08:45
Never seen the Checker Aerobus before - thanks for the photo thumbup

Hugo a Gogo

22,990 posts

199 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
What do you think it is aero, a Ford, Chevy or something else maybe...?



Somewhere in the US, 1965.... white car looks like a '64-ish Impala.... nice Plymouth Fury II behind the old split screen Dodge....

Normally people post saying 'Impala' 'Bel Air' etc when they are just trim levels, not really different 'models' as we'd know them, but I reckon that is indeed an Impala, cos it's got triple taillights, and it's a 64, cos a 63 the line of upper boot trim goes down between the rear lights

and it looks like a 4 door hard top, no B pillar

(65 is totally different)

behind it is 57 Ford, I think it's a sedan delivery (ie a van) but it could be a station wagon, and a 57 Thunderbird poking out behind that?





Edited by Hugo a Gogo on Monday 26th April 20:39

RATATTAK

6,998 posts

155 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
Hugo a Gogo said:
P5BNij said:
behind it is 57 Ford, I think it's a sedan delivery (ie a van) but it could be a station wagon, and a 57 Thunderbird poking out behind that?
I think your Thunderbird is a '60 Buick ?

Hugo a Gogo

22,990 posts

199 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
Yeah, could be
Driving a 57 would be fine for a van, but who would be driving an 8 yr old t bird?

RATATTAK

6,998 posts

155 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
Hugo a Gogo said:
................but who would be driving an 8 yr old t bird?
An 8 year old Thunderbird would be cheap enough (and desirable) for an 18 year old college student in the USA in the mid sixties. But it's not an 8 year old Thunderbird; it's a 5 year old Buick and Buicks were sold to the middle-class professional who couldn't afford a Cadillac at the time.


Edited by RATATTAK on Monday 26th April 23:44

Johnspex

3,160 posts

150 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
RATATTAK said:
Hugo a Gogo said:
P5BNij said:
behind it is 57 Ford, I think it's a sedan delivery (ie a van) but it could be a station wagon, and a 57 Thunderbird poking out behind that?
I think your Thunderbird is a '60 Buick ?
Isn't that fabulous? Even more so when you consider what we had in 1960.

aeropilot

24,483 posts

193 months

Tuesday 27th April
quotequote all
Yep, more Buick than '57 T-Bird, as you'd see the huge bulbous chrome exhaust exist under the rear lights and the upswept centre section of rear bumper, if it was a 57 T-Bird.


Turbobanana

3,043 posts

167 months

Tuesday 27th April
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
Katoomba, Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia, sometime in the 1950's by the looks of it.

Wow, I've actually been there (in 2007, after a friend's wedding on the Barrier Reef): didn't seem as bustling as this!

bristolracer

4,557 posts

115 months

Tuesday 27th April
quotequote all
Johnspex said:
Isn't that fabulous? Even more so when you consider what we had in 1960.
And look at domestic American cars today. Probably the most bland cars on the planet.

Escort3500

8,191 posts

111 months

Tuesday 27th April
quotequote all
bristolracer said:
Johnspex said:
Isn't that fabulous? Even more so when you consider what we had in 1960.
And look at domestic American cars today. Probably the most bland cars on the planet.
yes

Escort3500

8,191 posts

111 months

Tuesday 27th April
quotequote all
Scarborough in the sixties with a fine mix of British tin and the odd foreign interloper. I initially thought the car in front of the split-screen VW was a ‘57 Chevy but it’s not. Possibly a Cadillac, Dodge or Buick of the same era (covering lots of bases here laugh). Anyone know?


bigothunter

1,197 posts

26 months

Tuesday 27th April
quotequote all
bristolracer said:
Johnspex said:
Isn't that fabulous? Even more so when you consider what we had in 1960.
And look at domestic American cars today. Probably the most bland cars on the planet.
So just like today's European cars in this era of global products whistle

moffspeed

1,551 posts

173 months

Tuesday 27th April
quotequote all
The Corsair must have looked space-aged compared to all the Minors etc. Skoda Octavia parked in front of the Lambretta.

The Minor in the foreground has one of those groovy new anti mist panels stuck on the rear screen.

Edited by moffspeed on Tuesday 27th April 09:54

aeropilot

24,483 posts

193 months

Tuesday 27th April
quotequote all
Escort3500 said:
Scarborough in the sixties with a fine mix of British tin and the odd foreign interloper. I initially thought the car in front of the split-screen VW was a ‘57 Chevy but it’s not. Possibly a Cadillac, Dodge or Buick of the same era (covering lots of bases here laugh). Anyone know?

Buick I think, possible a '55?