A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

Author
Discussion

Turbobanana

3,107 posts

168 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Fiat 130 Coupe production at the Pininfarina factory....

OK, hope you're enjoying the factory tour. Next I want to show you the part of the production line where we fit the optional extras and - oh! bonus! - I see this customer has ordered the factory-fit technician. Here we can see Flavio welding him into place, ready to assist with future breakdowns and general maintenance. Carry on lads!

moffspeed

1,578 posts

174 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
Fiat 130 Coupe, one of the finest looking cars of all time. It had a younger sister who was posher but, regrettably, fatter and uglier - the RR Camargue.

It’s a shame that your lads on the production line only built one of these (and we’re talking about the car here..)


moffspeed

1,578 posts

174 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
Of course the Camargue itself was a design hand me down :



^ Rolls Royce Camargue.



^ Lady Penelope’s Fab 1.

Turbobanana

3,107 posts

168 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
moffspeed said:
Fiat 130 Coupe, one of the finest looking cars of all time. It had a younger sister who was posher but, regrettably, fatter and uglier - the RR Camargue.

It’s a shame that your lads on the production line only built one of these (and we’re talking about the car here..)

Agnelli looked different at the weekend, didn't he? Must have been the joy of driving that Maremma smile

Dapster

5,380 posts

147 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
moffspeed said:
Of course the Camargue itself was a design hand me down :
5 years before the Camargue was launched, a Dutch businessman bought a Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 and commissioned Sergio Pininfarina to clothe it in bespoke 2 door body. Workers from both Pininfarina and Rolls Royce interviewed at the time all deny any accusation of rehashing the design but you have to wonder....





https://drive-my.com/mercedes-benz-300-sel-6-3-pin...

21st Century Man

35,786 posts

215 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
That Mercedes is lovely and I don't think I've ever seen an image of a Camargue looking so nice either, it doesn't look so arse heavy in that pic.

moffspeed

1,578 posts

174 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
Dapster said:
5 years before the Camargue was launched, a Dutch businessman bought a Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 and commissioned Sergio Pininfarina to clothe it in bespoke 2 door body. Workers from both Pininfarina and Rolls Royce interviewed at the time all deny any accusation of rehashing the design but you have to wonder....





https://drive-my.com/mercedes-benz-300-sel-6-3-pin...
Wow - the wonder of PH. Never seen that before.

The evidence for the prosecution is overwhelming.

Touring442

2,314 posts

176 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
What a stunning car these are. One of my all time favourites.


P5BNij

9,200 posts

73 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
Turbobanana said:
moffspeed said:
Fiat 130 Coupe, one of the finest looking cars of all time. It had a younger sister who was posher but, regrettably, fatter and uglier - the RR Camargue.

It’s a shame that your lads on the production line only built one of these (and we’re talking about the car here..)

Agnelli looked different at the weekend, didn't he? Must have been the joy of driving that Maremma smile
This made me chuckle out loud like a silly school boy, as did your earlier reply to the factory pic wink

I'm often guilty of finishing off some of my posts with the phrase ''I've currently got my eye on one of these...'' and it just as often goes nowhere, but I am actively perusing a 130 Coupe right now, a RHD one no less, which has popped up for sale in deepest, darkest South Wales. I received some additional photos from the seller yesterday and it looks encouraging. What could possibly go wrong...?

aeropilot

24,714 posts

194 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
but I am actively perusing a 130 Coupe right now, a RHD one no less, which has popped up for sale in deepest, darkest South Wales. I received some additional photos from the seller yesterday and it looks encouraging. What could possibly go wrong...?
Brave man.......that one they did on the Drew Pritchard/Paul Cowland classic cars series should be enough to make you run away laugh

Turbobanana

3,107 posts

168 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
P5BNij said:
but I am actively perusing a 130 Coupe right now, a RHD one no less, which has popped up for sale in deepest, darkest South Wales. I received some additional photos from the seller yesterday and it looks encouraging. What could possibly go wrong...?
Brave man.......that one they did on the Drew Pritchard/Paul Cowland classic cars series should be enough to make you run away laugh
No, do it Nij! We need to know the trials and tribulations of this in a thread. If I can get my arse into gear and actually sell the Saab I've owned for 20 years, I'll be in the market for something different. Trouble is, my garage is not particularly big so 15ft of Saab fills its length, albeit with a narrow shell. Anything else I look at seems to be wider and almost as long. At this rate I'll end up with a Spitfire / Austin 7.

Turbobanana

3,107 posts

168 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
This made me chuckle out loud like a silly school boy, as did your earlier reply to the factory pic wink
"The noblest art is that of making others happy" - P T Barnum

Too many people take themselves too seriously, so trying to spread a little joy in weird times feels natural.

P5BNij

9,200 posts

73 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
Turbobanana said:
aeropilot said:
P5BNij said:
but I am actively perusing a 130 Coupe right now, a RHD one no less, which has popped up for sale in deepest, darkest South Wales. I received some additional photos from the seller yesterday and it looks encouraging. What could possibly go wrong...?
Brave man.......that one they did on the Drew Pritchard/Paul Cowland classic cars series should be enough to make you run away laugh
No, do it Nij! We need to know the trials and tribulations of this in a thread. If I can get my arse into gear and actually sell the Saab I've owned for 20 years, I'll be in the market for something different. Trouble is, my garage is not particularly big so 15ft of Saab fills its length, albeit with a narrow shell. Anything else I look at seems to be wider and almost as long. At this rate I'll end up with a Spitfire / Austin 7.
Well I'm trying anyway, going round in circles as usual but that's part of the fun too. No more bloody Minis though, unless one of the Beatle's Radford Coopers comes up for sale at a knock down price of £10k, a boy can dream and all that.

Whatever I plump for I'm going in with both eyes wide open, gawd knows I've done enough 'research' these last few years! Also got my eye on an '80s Maser Biturbo amongst others, I must be mad.

Edit : I shall raise a proverbial glass to P T Barnum beer

Another bloody edit : ace FIAT 130 Berlina / Coupe clip.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RPiMunAWkQ&t=...


Edited by P5BNij on Friday 14th May 15:17

manorcom

268 posts

69 months

Friday 14th May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Whatever I plump for I'm going in with both eyes wide open, gawd knows I've done enough 'research' these last few years! Also got my eye on an '80s Maser Biturbo amongst others, I must be mad.
Edited by P5BNij on Friday 14th May 15:17
I know of a nice coming for sale soon from a Maser expert

moffspeed

1,578 posts

174 months

Saturday 15th May
quotequote all
As it happens Historics Auctioneers have a very straight looking 130 Coupe up at their Ascot sale today. Silver with red leather so ticking all the aesthetic boxes. The oily bits seem to have been addressed in a £12k re-commission a few years back. Always reassuring when all the expensive work is in the rear view mirror of a classic rather than on the road ahead.

£14-18K estimate seems very modest but I sat, paddle in hand, and watched them sell a similar one back in 2018 for just over £8,600. So tempting.

An Italian supercar for less than a basket case barn-dwelling Mk1 Escort...within funny times do we live.

Edited by moffspeed on Saturday 15th May 09:23

ClaphamGT3

9,242 posts

210 months

Saturday 15th May
quotequote all
The Camargue was also substantially based on a one off Bentley T1 coupe that Pininfarina designed for the industrialist James Hanson


Huntsman

7,264 posts

217 months

Saturday 15th May
quotequote all
ClaphamGT3 said:
The Camargue was also substantially based on a one off Bentley T1 coupe that Pininfarina designed for the industrialist James Hanson

I've seen that car, its absolutely fabulous. I sold the Keeble to buy an early Corniche, but failed and bought my Shadow, missed an opportunity there, should have waited for a Corniche.

moffspeed

1,578 posts

174 months

Saturday 15th May
quotequote all
All a bit sluggish at Historics. Plenty of cars unsold but the Fiat managed this.



£4K less than a non - AVO Mk1 Escort dressed up awkwardly on low profile tyres as a “Twin Cam tribute”. Hmmm...

P5BNij

9,200 posts

73 months

Saturday 15th May
quotequote all
manorcom said:
P5BNij said:
Whatever I plump for I'm going in with both eyes wide open, gawd knows I've done enough 'research' these last few years! Also got my eye on an '80s Maser Biturbo amongst others, I must be mad.
Edited by P5BNij on Friday 14th May 15:17
I know of a nice coming for sale soon from a Maser expert
Any info on this please manorcom... which variant, year, left or right hooker, condition etc? Ta wink




RichB

45,487 posts

251 months

Saturday 15th May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
manorcom said:
P5BNij said:
Whatever I plump for I'm going in with both eyes wide open, gawd knows I've done enough 'research' these last few years! Also got my eye on an '80s Maser Biturbo amongst others, I must be mad.
I know of a nice coming for sale soon from a Maser expert

Any info on this please manorcom... which variant, year, left or right hooker, condition etc? Ta wink
I always rather fancied a Maserati Biturbo Spyder. I remember viewing one at Meridian in Lyndhurst back in the early '90s. I went for a TVR instead wink