How about a 'period' classics pictures thread

How about a 'period' classics pictures thread

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

aeropilot

24,438 posts

193 months

Thursday 25th April 2019
quotequote all
RicksAlfas said:
P5BNij said:
It's the little old lady...!
Its not a shiney red Super Stock Dodge though........... wink

P5BNij

8,872 posts

72 months

Thursday 25th April 2019
quotequote all
If anyone is bored with all this Americana look away now... hehe
























RicksAlfas

11,129 posts

210 months

Thursday 25th April 2019
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Has he just climbed out of the boot trunk?!
biggrin

Le Controleur Horizontal

1,480 posts

26 months

Thursday 25th April 2019
quotequote all
RicksAlfas said:
P5BNij said:
Has he just climbed out of the boot trunk?!
biggrin
I bet he could do the "Rebel Yell"
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/his...




No you heathen, not the Billy Idol one !

pcn1

1,043 posts

185 months

Thursday 25th April 2019
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
RicksAlfas said:
P5BNij said:
It's the little old lady...!
Its not a shiney red Super Stock Dodge though........... wink
Or parked in her rickety old garage................

52classic

1,989 posts

176 months

Thursday 25th April 2019
quotequote all
craig_m67 said:
Can’t help myself (apologies), but i reckon that is an early 50s-60s Alfa Giulietta.. looks like the scudetto is pushed in on the nose (as per every Alfa since). Pretty rare in RHD I’d imagine


Loving the old pics and stories in this thread, easily my favourite

Edited by craig_m67 on Thursday 25th April 06:55
I see the car in the tunnel as an Austin A40 MK2.

Composer62

637 posts

52 months

Thursday 25th April 2019
quotequote all
52classic said:
craig_m67 said:
Can’t help myself (apologies), but i reckon that is an early 50s-60s Alfa Giulietta.. looks like the scudetto is pushed in on the nose (as per every Alfa since). Pretty rare in RHD I’d imagine


Loving the old pics and stories in this thread, easily my favourite

Edited by craig_m67 on Thursday 25th April 06:55
I see the car in the tunnel as an Austin A40 MK2.
I tend to agree .. I was thinking it looked like an A40.

gothatway

3,676 posts

136 months

Thursday 25th April 2019
quotequote all
52classic said:
I see the car in the tunnel as an Austin A40 MK2.
I agree. By the look of the solid white line, that's a single carriageway tunnel (one lane in each direction), so the Sheerline (?) and following cars were passing something parked/broken down - as was the A40 until the Consul came towards it ?

E31Shrew

5,877 posts

158 months

Thursday 25th April 2019
quotequote all
DickyC said:
RichB said:
Is that something you know happened or that you may expect to find?
I think it happened, Rich. The chassis frames were made elsewhere in the DB empire and delivered to Newport Pagnell but there was insufficient covered space to store them, so they sat outside. It may have been an article in AM yonks ago or just talking to folk. Long chats with the late lamented Roger Stowers of AM could mess with your head. He ended up as the factory tour guide but had been in the service department. He told me once that he would ease service bills if they seemed excessive. "Ooh, no, that's far too much. It should be more like this. There, that's better." It's a different story to that told by some owners I expect. As well as being an AM encyclopedia, Roger took photos for the AMOC. Lovely chap.

Off Topic - I did an article for AM or the AM Review on valeting AML style. No one told Roger. He was conducting a factory tour and spotted me and couldn't place me out of context. He was chatting away to his visitors but kept glancing quizically towards the car cleaning bay at the familiar face in AML overalls cleaning cars.
You may have seen these before as posted on page 2 of this thread. My granddad was at AM / Salmon for over 50 years in total. He lived just over the road on Tickford Street until he died in 1982.
I used to go fishing in some gravel pits behind the factory in the mid 60s and recall seeing bonnets stacked up against the wall en route.
Was lucky enough to have a whizz around in a small car built for Prince Andrew.
Happy days
[url]|


Cant seem to be able to load further pics but theyre on page 2 if interested




Edited by E31Shrew on Thursday 25th April 19:01


Edited by E31Shrew on Thursday 25th April 19:03

TR4man

4,205 posts

140 months

Friday 26th April 2019
quotequote all
DickyC said:
RichB said:
Is that something you know happened or that you may expect to find?
I think it happened, Rich. The chassis frames were made elsewhere in the DB empire and delivered to Newport Pagnell but there was insufficient covered space to store them, so they sat outside. It may have been an article in AM yonks ago or just talking to folk. Long chats with the late lamented Roger Stowers of AM could mess with your head. He ended up as the factory tour guide but had been in the service department. He told me once that he would ease service bills if they seemed excessive. "Ooh, no, that's far too much. It should be more like this. There, that's better." It's a different story to that told by some owners I expect. As well as being an AM encyclopedia, Roger took photos for the AMOC. Lovely chap.

Off Topic - I did an article for AM or the AM Review on valeting AML style. No one told Roger. He was conducting a factory tour and spotted me and couldn't place me out of context. He was chatting away to his visitors but kept glancing quizically towards the car cleaning bay at the familiar face in AML overalls cleaning cars.
I don't know about Aston Martin storing the chassis frames outside in all weathers, but certainly TVR were notorious for it.

Sardonicus

17,889 posts

187 months

Friday 26th April 2019
quotequote all
They were indeed in lovely Blackpool sea air too

P5BNij

8,872 posts

72 months

Friday 26th April 2019
quotequote all
A Pontiac dealer somewhere...


NDA

17,990 posts

191 months

Friday 26th April 2019
quotequote all
How did those big ol' American barges manage in the snow? I've often wondered as our American chums don't seem to worry too much about snow that would have us buying all the bread and sugar from the shops.

RichB

45,202 posts

250 months

Friday 26th April 2019
quotequote all
NDA said:
How did those big ol' American barges manage in the snow? I've often wondered as our American chums don't seem to worry too much about snow that would have us buying all the bread and sugar from the shops.
I imagine they had good ole' ute's for that?

aeropilot

24,438 posts

193 months

Friday 26th April 2019
quotequote all
NDA said:
How did those big ol' American barges manage in the snow? I've often wondered as our American chums don't seem to worry too much about snow that would have us buying all the bread and sugar from the shops.
They'd go out and play in it, as in this old cine film footage from the late 50's/early 60's biggrin (30sec in for the snow stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6jSHTnlE5E






DickyC

39,902 posts

164 months

Friday 26th April 2019
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
They'd go out and play in it, as in this old cine film footage from the late 50's/early 60's biggrin (30sec in for the snow stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6jSHTnlE5E
On Cross Plies.

j3gme

687 posts

160 months

Sunday 28th April 2019
quotequote all

House on my street what a beauty in it’s day now belongs to the NHS, think it could be a Rolls Royce in the early picture.

j3gme

687 posts

160 months

Sunday 28th April 2019
quotequote all

neutral 3

5,296 posts

136 months

Monday 29th April 2019
quotequote all
j3gme said:
That is lovely !!
Any idea who first owned it ??

neutral 3

5,296 posts

136 months

Monday 29th April 2019
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
If anyone is bored with all this Americana look away now... hehe
















Loving the Yank tanks !!
But what is the 8th car down ?
The 4 door with the young lad etc looking out ?






TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED