Help Facel Vega, Facel 2

Author
Discussion

facelman

238 posts

122 months

Thursday 3rd April 2014
quotequote all
rolymo said:
Facel-Vega Facelia :- what to do ?
The original motor gave me headaches but fortunately I was lucky to own a dynamometer and a fully equipped machine shop which took care of those details, my other half had a glorious time with the car for quite a long time with no difficulties. However in today’s world the dodgy reputation of the Facel Twin-cam may well detract from the desire to own this model ,as regards the Volvo motor it is reliable ,has longevity , not too sophisticated to be beyond the scope of being owner maintained but adds very little to the allure/mystique of this rare jewel of a car.
In my opinion an Austin -Healey would be a bit of boat anchor, not in keeping with the nature of the little Vega with so much weight up front and a huge transmission to house.
A very tidy installation could well be a modern Ford 4cyl twin-cam (Zietech )/ trans Manual/auto on twin two barrel carbs [dellauto/weber]
Now if you really want to [up the anti ] and go all super sensational , make the car a gem to perceive
What about a Lotus 4 cyl 2.2 T/cam connected to a ZL 5 speed transmission with a little bit of fiddling should give a comfortable 200 bhp (flywheel) and a plentiful supply of parts and service capability.
Tried this out with an MGA coupe a couple of years back, it was a phenomenal performer
The end result would be roughly equivalent to Healey/Jensen which is quite desirable
Photo :- Lotus mounted in an MGA Coupe
What a terrible thing to do with a poor MGA.Are you sure that you are in Northants and not in america by any chance? The Lotus engine was an awful thing.The MGA dosen't need an upgrade but the five bearing 1800 cc MGB is the obvious choice.The Rover V8 fits quite well,I did two of these.The Lancia was a great engine but too rare to consider today.PRV [ or PERV as we used to call them ] ? no thanks lets get back to the past...The Volvo 3 litre 6 cylinder is a possible choice.150 BHP and maybe lighter than the AH. One day I am sure that new blocks will be made for the Facellia PAM engine,and along with my five plain bearing camshafts and a better intake manifold people will start converting these lovely cars back to "original" In the meanwhile I must get back to work on the 4M5 engine for my Facel III.

facelman

238 posts

122 months

Thursday 3rd April 2014
quotequote all
Or I could fit one of my new Bugatti engines......., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhDLKf1crHA&fe...

a8hex

4,882 posts

161 months

Friday 4th April 2014
quotequote all
facelman said:
Or I could fit one of my new Bugatti engines......., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhDLKf1crHA&fe...
Cool bow
But what ever engine you choose I don't think you'll get a very good power to weight ratio with a pallet truck.

facelman

238 posts

122 months

Friday 4th April 2014
quotequote all
a8hex said:
Cool bow
But what ever engine you choose I don't think you'll get a very good power to weight ratio with a pallet truck.
Oh I thought it would go rather well on a pallet truck ! It would be nice if I could sort out the fine tuning and get it into the car.It must be out on the track this summer.

Facelvega

Original Poster:

62 posts

99 months

Sunday 13th April 2014
quotequote all
Re the Silverstone Auction, has the world gone crazy or the auction house made a mistake? £60,000+ For a restoration project. Will this madness please slow down?

Edited by Facelvega on Sunday 13th April 21:09

Advertisement

theadman

320 posts

95 months

Sunday 13th April 2014
quotequote all
The HK wasn't even a 'barn find', which seem to be magic words that make a heap the same price as a restored car on the basis that it has not been 'got at'.

Well, judging by the pictures and the description, this one has been well and truly started at some stage in the past, so no longer has the authenticity of a car that has never been apart.

Bizarrely, I'm not sure a good up together car would make much more? As has been mentioned, £70k has been the ball park for some time.

The market is certainly full of surprises at the moment!

sleevevalve

9 posts

76 months

Tuesday 22nd April 2014
quotequote all
facelman said:
The manual cars were often fitted with limslip.You need to look at the bolts holding the steel cover on the diff.If two of them have metal tags under them then it is a limslip.If there is a tag with PL stamped on it then it is a limslip.The other tag being the ratio.I have a new original limslip back axle for HK 500/ Facel II in stock incidentally if anyone needs it.A kit is available to fit a ZF five speed gearbox to the V8 Facels.A useful thing to remember should the original fail.
Considering the inevitable fact that my PAM gearbox won´t last as long as the car itself, the ZF conversion seems to be a good long-term proposition. Do you have further information which you might share with us? Thank you very much for your advice !


JerryL770

6 posts

57 months

Thursday 15th May 2014
quotequote all
facelman said:

The advantage of LHD is shared by Gerhard Heins in New Zealand, who fully restored one of his three RHD HK500s, brought it to Bonhams at Goodwood where it failed to sell. Quite rightly, in my opinion, he has opted to convert one of the others to LHD and sell it on the continent where there is not only a loyal French market but an interested German one as well.
This is my first post here having been introduced to this forum last week by Theadman when I went to view his HK500 just down the road from me. What a super job he is doing. It has taken me a week to go through this thread so I'm not sure I want to spend too much time on the French site thread of some 350 pages eek

I bought Heins's LHD HK last year sight unseen and it was delivered to my door last year. Fair to say it has not been without its niggles and I have been spending some time sorting them to my satisfaction. There's a few more to go and I have a few questions which I hope can be answered on here. First off, here it is on its first outing on the Stilton Cheese Classic Car run on April 27th:





The colour (so I am informed) is a Mazda Satellite Blue metallic. It is not black and in fact looks a super deep aubergine with very slight metallic effect. The interior is light grey.

So, questions. I have read on here of the importance of correct greasing of the front wheel bearings. What grease should I use? Should I dismantle my hubs to install this or is use of a grease-gun all I need?

Should I use the same grease on other grease nipples?

I have had to replace the steering track-rods. What is the proper toe-in amount for these?

What should the normal tyre pressures be?

Thanks. More later??

Jerry

Edited by JerryL770 on Thursday 15th May 09:49

vixen1700

10,792 posts

208 months

Thursday 15th May 2014
quotequote all
That does look lovely. smile

dpp

209 posts

77 months

Thursday 15th May 2014
quotequote all
Now thats real classy Jerry.


facelman

238 posts

122 months

Friday 16th May 2014
quotequote all
JerryL770 said:
This is my first post here having been introduced to this forum last week by Theadman when I went to view his HK500 just down the road from me. What a super job he is doing. It has taken me a week to go through this thread so I'm not sure I want to spend too much time on the French site thread of some 350 pages eek

I bought Heins's LHD HK last year sight unseen and it was delivered to my door last year. Fair to say it has not been without its niggles and I have been spending some time sorting them to my satisfaction. There's a few more to go and I have a few questions which I hope can be answered on here. First off, here it is on its first outing on the Stilton Cheese Classic Car run on April 27th:





The colour (so I am informed) is a Mazda Satellite Blue metallic. It is not black and in fact looks a super deep aubergine with very slight metallic effect. The interior is light grey.

So, questions. I have read on here of the importance of correct greasing of the front wheel bearings. What grease should I use? Should I dismantle my hubs to install this or is use of a grease-gun all I need?

Should I use the same grease on other grease nipples?

I have had to replace the steering track-rods. What is the proper toe-in amount for these?

What should the normal tyre pressures be?

Thanks. More later??

Jerry

Edited by JerryL770 on Thursday 15th May 09:49
Nice car Jerry.I have known this one for nearly thirty years.You MUST use molybdenem disolphide grease for the front hubs.I have only three front stub axles left in stock for HK and whilst I would be delighted to sell you two it can be avoided.The front end of the V8 Facels of all types,is vey heavily loaded and normal grease cannot take the strain.This was discovered by HWM way back in the early 1960's with a spate of broken stub axles.You obviously have to remove the hubs to grease them.Tyre pressures depend to an extent on the tyres used.Do not be tempted to fit oversized tyres [ as above re stub axles ] 6.40 x 15 or a modern equivelant.I always use this same grease for all balljoints then I can never forget.camber is 0 to 0.45 minutes degree,tracking is 0 to 4 degrees,castor 0 to 1 degree,I am always happy to answer queries if you want to message me,I strongly suggest that you join the frence facel club.It can become disheartening in england to turn up for a club meeting and find that yours is the only facel there and the entire club is sheltering in a phonebox.There is nothing better than driving out with 40 other facels to visit a vineyard or resto etc.cheers John

dinkel

24,810 posts

196 months

Friday 16th May 2014
quotequote all
facelman said:
There is nothing better than driving out with 40 other facels to visit a vineyard or resto etc.cheers John
LOL - stuff dreams are made of.

JerryL770

6 posts

57 months

Friday 16th May 2014
quotequote all
Thank you John, that is very useful.

I have taken my HK 30 miles to get new SS exhausts made for it and the first thing I will do on its return sometime next week will be to remove the front hubs and re-pack them with moly grease - to be sure.

JerryL770

6 posts

57 months

Monday 19th May 2014
quotequote all
As the HK was off in Peterboro having its new exhausts fitting this w/e it seemed a pity not to take advantage of the good weather so I scored a few brownie points taking the Mrs out in this:





Pub for evening meal on Saturday and off to Coton Manor gardens yesterday. Unfortunately the bluebell wood was past its best.

facelman

238 posts

122 months

Thursday 29th May 2014
quotequote all
facelman said:
Oh I thought it would go rather well on a pallet truck ! It would be nice if I could sort out the fine tuning and get it into the car.It must be out on the track this summer.
The Bugatti T73c has now driven for the first time and will be at the Le Vigeant circuit on the 5/6/7/8 of June.Any Facel owner in France at that time and not at the Facel meeting in Rheims ! Is welcome to come along.

facelman

238 posts

122 months

Sunday 13th July 2014
quotequote all
facelman said:
The Bugatti T73c has now driven for the first time and will be at the Le Vigeant circuit on the 5/6/7/8 of June.Any Facel owner in France at that time and not at the Facel meeting in Rheims ! Is welcome to come along.
The next outing for the T73c will be angouleme in september.There will be also my Facellia and other Facels.Please feel free to pop along.

Tom hk

8 posts

67 months

Sunday 3rd August 2014
quotequote all
Any Facels going to Castle Hill car festival near Barnstaple next weekend the 9th and 10th.

droopsnoot

6,203 posts

180 months

Monday 18th August 2014
quotequote all
This was in the marquee at Tatton Park classic show this weekend:




d.wilde

101 posts

140 months

Monday 18th August 2014
quotequote all
Bugatti inspired dashboard for Lazarus !

http://www.haslamsbodyrepairsltd.co.uk/index_files...


theadman

320 posts

95 months

Monday 25th August 2014
quotequote all
d.wilde said:
Bugatti inspired dashboard for Lazarus !

http://www.haslamsbodyrepairsltd.co.uk/index_files...

Oh dear...that dash looks like a footballer's Bentley to me! However, I do understand that painting metal to look like wood might not be to everyone's taste.