A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

A 'period' classics pictures thread (Mk II)

Author
Discussion

Scrump

Original Poster:

5,521 posts

102 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all

P5BNij

3,896 posts

50 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
Aeropilot - thanks for your reply on the previous volume about Billy Kydd's hot rod, the GM built Class 66 diesel locos I drive for a living were mostly built in London Ontario wink

These have just appeared on my pinterest feed...

















There's something rather cool about a dusty set of Torque Thrust wheels with the grey finish...

Lotobear

1,446 posts

72 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
....and a cherry bomb pipe!

aeropilot

18,423 posts

171 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Classic 70's jack-up kit and 'Thrush' style sidepipes.........them were the days laugh

P5BNij said:
Always giggle at photos of people standing on the rear wing of a Daytona - seemed to have been a popular pastime back then after a mag article at the time had a surfer type standing on the rear wing of a Daytona in a pose as if he was riding a board....

Yertis

14,721 posts

210 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Was going to remark on this being a not quite so good picture, then I saw the dog. biggrin.

P5BNij

3,896 posts

50 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all










I feel cheated... I thought all the stunt work on 'The Dukes Of Hazzard' was real...!

Yertis

14,721 posts

210 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
I feel cheated... I thought all the stunt work on 'The Dukes Of Hazzard' was real...!
I must admit I never realised it wasn't... frown

aeropilot

18,423 posts

171 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
Yertis said:
P5BNij said:
I feel cheated... I thought all the stunt work on 'The Dukes Of Hazzard' was real...!
I must admit I never realised it wasn't... frown
My guess its more like a bunch of guys trying to make their own cine film version using models rather than a behind the scenes crew shot.......
Or...... could be the stunt team used models for working up the stunts before actually doing it for real, given that they were likely one-take stunts?

Its been estimated that Warner Bros destroyed over 200 Chargers during the filming of the 7 series of the show.


P5BNij

3,896 posts

50 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
Yertis said:
P5BNij said:
I feel cheated... I thought all the stunt work on 'The Dukes Of Hazzard' was real...!
I must admit I never realised it wasn't... frown
My guess its more like a bunch of guys trying to make their own cine film version using models rather than a behind the scenes crew shot.......
Or...... could be the stunt team used models for working up the stunts before actually doing it for real, given that they were likely one-take stunts?

Its been estimated that Warner Bros destroyed over 200 Chargers during the filming of the 7 series of the show.
That would make sense.... I knew they wrecked plenty, but not as many as that..!

More shameless Americana...















It's funny, I've never been to the states but these photos make me feel as though I have....

aeropilot

18,423 posts

171 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
'69 Dodge Super Bee cool


Yertis

14,721 posts

210 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
A lot/most of them would make great prints.

Somehow they all look cool. Those jacked-up muscle cars look great. The jacked-up cars of my childhood – mainly Ford Anglias – looked st. (They'd also have big hoop aerials, STP stickers, Wolf-race wheels and musical air-horns.)

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

22,266 posts

179 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
The thread that keeps on giving! thumbup

neutral 3

3,449 posts

114 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
That would make sense.... I knew they wrecked plenty, but not as many as that..!

More shameless Americana...















It's funny, I've never been to the states but these photos make me feel as though I have....
I've only been once, in July / August 91, for 4 weeks, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, from there we drove a hire car up to Niagara and then drove back down to Penn and then a flight back to Florida, for the last week.

These shots are Definitely making my mind up to go again.

P5BNij

3,896 posts

50 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
Hanging around waiting to go to work, here are a few more...



Warner Brothers backlot...?
















[ I've just ordered several Brooklands Road Test books from Amazon on '60s Buicks, Chevys, Pontiacs and the Mercury Cougar... whistle ]

Edited by P5BNij on Wednesday 1st May 19:24

aeropilot

18,423 posts

171 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Hanging around waiting to go to work, here are a few more...

There's about a million dollars worth there at todays prices.......(about $2.25 million worth when they were at their peak value around 4-5 years ago!!)



TurboJet

62 posts

94 months

Thursday 2nd May
quotequote all
Forget Mr Norm's. Baldwin Motion was the place to go for real performance.


mk1coopers

192 posts

96 months

Thursday 2nd May
quotequote all
I'm really liking the American twist to this thread, I have a big soft spot for this kind of car, there was a really nice Falcon Sprit at the Sunday Scramble last week, this is just to keep the UK's 'end' up

generationx

2,301 posts

49 months

Thursday 2nd May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
aeropilot said:
Yertis said:
P5BNij said:
I feel cheated... I thought all the stunt work on 'The Dukes Of Hazzard' was real...!
I must admit I never realised it wasn't... frown
My guess its more like a bunch of guys trying to make their own cine film version using models rather than a behind the scenes crew shot.......
Or...... could be the stunt team used models for working up the stunts before actually doing it for real, given that they were likely one-take stunts?

Its been estimated that Warner Bros destroyed over 200 Chargers during the filming of the 7 series of the show.
That would make sense.... I knew they wrecked plenty, but not as many as that..!
Some of the jump shots in the later series used models due to Chargers getting harder, and more expensive, to source.

MikeT66

1,113 posts

68 months

Thursday 2nd May
quotequote all
Superb photos, P5BNij - the best thread on PH is even better with your contributions. Probably like many on here I grew up lusting after jacked-up American V8 iron (but all I ever saw were pimped Cortinas/Capris/Anglias in 1970s Hull), and these types of images really sold 'the American Dream' to young petrolheads like me.

I can almost smell the high octane fuel and dusty 70s summer haze and the drifting sounds of Springsteen and the Eagles in the breeze...

RicksAlfas

9,813 posts

188 months

Thursday 2nd May
quotequote all
mk1coopers said:
Is the Mini fibreglass or de-seamed?