Battery speaker

Author
Discussion

Skyedriver

Original Poster:

8,445 posts

226 months

Thursday 18th July
quotequote all
I'm looking for a cheap battery operated speaker to play in the polytunnel or garage. The former has no mains electric.
I could bluetooth my phone to it, or could connect via 3.5mm I suppose.
Or it could be wi-fi back to the house about 40m away. (Echo plus?)
Would like decent sound quality but doesn't have to be the ultimate hi fi.
There seems to be a lot on Amazon etc but no idea which is good and which is being "pumped" up (or down) by spoof reviews.
Really only need radio (Planet Rock which isn't DAB up here).
What do the PH collective recommend recommend please.
Thanks in advance

mike9009

4,150 posts

187 months

Thursday 18th July
quotequote all
Dependent upon budget. But as a cheapish solution I quite like the Kitsound speakers.

I had an original Hive speaker several years ago and have recently bought the Hive X which is a step up (£39.99 on ebay). Battery life is great and quality is very good for the price. They always seem robust, simple and effective.

Mike

joshleb

778 posts

88 months

Thursday 18th July
quotequote all
Budget is the big one here, could be anything from £10 to £100s for a bluetooth speaker.

hutchst

1,383 posts

40 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
I got given one free recently as a giveaway when I bought something at one of the duty free shops at Dubai T3.

Belle427

3,846 posts

177 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
Use one of these at work, cracking battery life and good sound quality.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-SoundCore-Bluetooth...

C0ffin D0dger

3,097 posts

89 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
Belle427 said:
Use one of these at work, cracking battery life and good sound quality.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-SoundCore-Bluetooth...
Exactly what I was going to suggest. The wife bought one for her job (baby groups with music, singing etc.), it's very good quality for the money.

RDM

1,605 posts

151 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
hutchst said:
I got given one free recently as a giveaway when I bought something at one of the duty free shops at Dubai T3.
I imagine that’s exactly the kind of info the op was
looking for. 8-)

richardracer

119 posts

179 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
Hi there,

Try the Tesco Bluetooth speaker, battery powered for about £15. Loud enough for a noisy garage environment.

Cheers

Richardracer

RizzoTheRat

18,129 posts

136 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
I have a UE Boom 2 which works really well, lasts several hours on battery and charges from micro USB so can easily run it from a power bank when longer is needed.

300bhp/ton

37,010 posts

134 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
I've got the Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XVKW0PY/ref...

Not cheap, but it sounds fantastic. I tried ever speaker on display in Curys and this was in a different league to the rest. Super bassy for such a small speaker and really good battery life too.

CAPP0

15,060 posts

147 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
I've got a Sony SRS-XB20 which is fully battery powered, just bluetooth it to your phone or whatever to play. Decent-enough sound fora small unit and the battery lasts for ever. Mine was £50 in Currys although oddly other colours for the exact same thing were £100. I think it may have been updated now, mine's a year or two old,but worth a look I'd say.

TheOversteerLever

1,217 posts

157 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
I've got one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUKEY-Bluetooth-Playtime-...

It's a bit bigger than most of these sort of speakers but it's the best sounding battery powered Bluetooth speaker I've heard.

ZesPak

19,108 posts

140 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
RizzoTheRat said:
I have a UE Boom 2 which works really well, lasts several hours on battery and charges from micro USB so can easily run it from a power bank when longer is needed.
Another vote here for the UE Boom. Serious vfm.

Skyedriver

Original Poster:

8,445 posts

226 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
Thanks Everyone
Think it's between the Anker and the Aukey although not heard either name before.
Tesco looks cheap and probably is
Boom doesn't seem to have a long play time
Sony unavailable (old unit?)
Bose out of budget

Scrump

5,521 posts

102 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
C0ffin D0dger said:
Belle427 said:
Use one of these at work, cracking battery life and good sound quality.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-SoundCore-Bluetooth...
Exactly what I was going to suggest. The wife bought one for her job (baby groups with music, singing etc.), it's very good quality for the money.
I too recommend these.

ninepoint2

1,993 posts

104 months

Friday 19th July
quotequote all
These are decent for not a lot of money...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/HMDX-Hx-p230gra-eu-Jam-Ja...

Skyedriver

Original Poster:

8,445 posts

226 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
ninepoint2 said:
These are decent for not a lot of money...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/HMDX-Hx-p230gra-eu-Jam-Ja...
Struggling to take that seriously...

OK for a jam session maybe but the toast of the town?

ZesPak

19,108 posts

140 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Skyedriver said:
Thanks Everyone
Think it's between the Anker and the Aukey although not heard either name before.
Tesco looks cheap and probably is
Boom doesn't seem to have a long play time
Sony unavailable (old unit?)
Bose out of budget
Wait, doesn't the boom quote a playtime of 15h?

Anyway, iirc the boom 2 battery is the same as the Aukey?

ninepoint2

1,993 posts

104 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Skyedriver said:
Struggling to take that seriously...

OK for a jam session maybe but the toast of the town?
Had one for a few years and it does the job well enough for me, use it mainly on holiday for phone/laptop with Spotify, Radio and on board songs etc

TX1

1,587 posts

127 months

Monday 22nd July
quotequote all
Might be worth spending some time on the link below and comparing them, spent lots of time myself a few months ago and ended up getting a Denon Envaya DSB-250BT ( there is also a smaller version) which I mainly use when I am away on holiday.
http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net/
Forgot to mention, if you do compare do it with headphones.


Edited by TX1 on Monday 22 July 16:13