Technic lego

Technic lego

Author
Discussion

dr_gn

14,683 posts

150 months

Saturday 17th September 2011
quotequote all
ferrisbueller said:
dr_gn said:
ETA: It's about time I got some up to date Lego - this is my collection:

Oh my. The car top left was subject of much childhood lust for me. Alas, it never happened. I do have about a dozen technic sets from the lats 80's and early 90's though.
A dozen??? chuff me!

ferrisbueller

26,556 posts

193 months

Saturday 17th September 2011
quotequote all
dr_gn said:
ferrisbueller said:
dr_gn said:
ETA: It's about time I got some up to date Lego - this is my collection:

Oh my. The car top left was subject of much childhood lust for me. Alas, it never happened. I do have about a dozen technic sets from the lats 80's and early 90's though.
A dozen??? chuff me!
Lego was my "thing" before moving on to r/c cars (and after train sets). I have that same Go-Kart kit that you have, a few of the pneumatics kits, several other cars and things and a couple of the newer sets where the parts started to get more complex in terms of mouldings. I mixed all the sets together for uber projects so I can't say as whether I have a full inventory of parts. I can dig a few out if any one is interested.

ETA:


You've got me looking at eBay for the supercars now!

Edited by ferrisbueller on Saturday 17th September 19:48

dr_gn

14,683 posts

150 months

Sunday 18th September 2011
quotequote all
ferrisbueller said:
dr_gn said:
ferrisbueller said:
dr_gn said:
ETA: It's about time I got some up to date Lego - this is my collection:

Oh my. The car top left was subject of much childhood lust for me. Alas, it never happened. I do have about a dozen technic sets from the lats 80's and early 90's though.
A dozen??? chuff me!
Lego was my "thing" before moving on to r/c cars (and after train sets). I have that same Go-Kart kit that you have, a few of the pneumatics kits, several other cars and things and a couple of the newer sets where the parts started to get more complex in terms of mouldings. I mixed all the sets together for uber projects so I can't say as whether I have a full inventory of parts. I can dig a few out if any one is interested.

ETA:


You've got me looking at eBay for the supercars now!

Edited by ferrisbueller on Saturday 17th September 19:48
Great collection you've got there. I bought some of the newer parts and pneumatic stuff too - just to play with. Lego has definitely got less generic and more specific to one model over the years, which I don't like really. The 8043 Excavator coupled with the Argos offer(both of which someone kindly gave too much information about on in this thread mad ) pushed me over the edge though! It just looks so damned complicated I had to get one (plus my son will love it).

Lefty

15,385 posts

168 months

Sunday 18th September 2011
quotequote all
That Unimog is awesome, I'm in the middle of a build of the pneumatic backhoe loader from the early '90's, can't remember the number but I'll post up some pics.


Dirty Frank

598 posts

120 months

Sunday 18th September 2011
quotequote all
Is there anywhere you can get instructions for kits that people have done off their own back? There's a guy on eBay selling instructions for a Lambo Countach but its a tenner and it might be crap so ive not bought it. £10 is a lot for a pdf imo.

Blakeatron

Original Poster:

2,376 posts

139 months

Sunday 18th September 2011
quotequote all
try - http://rebrickable.com/

Basically you enter the model numbers you have and it shows you the other models you can build and what parts you will be missing! There are instructions in there somewhere for nearly everthing.

Dirty Frank

598 posts

120 months

Sunday 18th September 2011
quotequote all
Cheers biggrin

markswebpages

174 posts

143 months

Monday 19th September 2011
quotequote all
I love Lego Technic, but haven't the funds to buy may kits.

I have this one



and this one



Some my family are off to Florida in a few months so I'm hoping to get them to bring some stuff back from the Lego shop in the Disney resort.

This is what I'd like next smile



I'd love to get hold of the original car as I had one when I was a kid, but I suspect they command allot of money now if they're complete and original frown

Lefty

15,385 posts

168 months

Monday 19th September 2011
quotequote all
Not technic, but I just bought this for my bro-in-laws birthday:

10221



The box is feckin' huge!

richtea78

5,574 posts

124 months

Monday 19th September 2011
quotequote all
Lucky bd! Very jealous.

dr_gn

14,683 posts

150 months

Tuesday 20th September 2011
quotequote all
At last it's mine!



Spare one on EBay later if anyone's interested.

ferrisbueller

26,556 posts

193 months

Tuesday 20th September 2011
quotequote all
PM me please!

You also have me looking at the 80s supercars on Ebay. It's only a matter of time.

The Excession

11,669 posts

216 months

Tuesday 20th September 2011
quotequote all
dr_gn said:
At last it's mine!



Spare one on EBay later if anyone's interested.
I bought one of those for my 5 year old last xmas. (Honest I really did buy it for him!!!)

Couldn't believe it arrived with 3 instruction books!

He loves it, though it really is a shelf ornament rather than a play toy.

We had superb fun building it, we team up with me finding all the bits and laying them out for him whilst he puts them together according to the pictures in the book. Took us two days to build it!

We're building up quite a collection of Lego now - it's fantastic stuff and I hope he manages to keep it all into his adult life.

dr_gn

14,683 posts

150 months

Tuesday 20th September 2011
quotequote all
The Excession said:
dr_gn said:
At last it's mine!



Spare one on EBay later if anyone's interested.
I bought one of those for my 5 year old last xmas. (Honest I really did buy it for him!!!)

Couldn't believe it arrived with 3 instruction books!

He loves it, though it really is a shelf ornament rather than a play toy.

We had superb fun building it, we team up with me finding all the bits and laying them out for him whilst he puts them together according to the pictures in the book. Took us two days to build it!

We're building up quite a collection of Lego now - it's fantastic stuff and I hope he manages to keep it all into his adult life.
Great! My son's just 4, and I'm planning on doing the same. Hopefully he'll understand! Might start with the loader though.

What I don't like is that Lego is now so specific - it says on the box that it will build two models. The old stuff you got instructions for about 5 or 6 IIRC. Ah well.

richtea78

5,574 posts

124 months

Tuesday 20th September 2011
quotequote all
I think the Technic has always been 2 models. The set I loved the most was the snow explorer one, had a ramp on one end and a hydraulic lift on the other.

Starting my Unimog this evening!

dr_gn

14,683 posts

150 months

Tuesday 20th September 2011
quotequote all
richtea78 said:
I think the Technic has always been 2 models. The set I loved the most was the snow explorer one, had a ramp on one end and a hydraulic lift on the other.

Starting my Unimog this evening!
Looking at the instruction books you're right, at least for the larger car chassis sets. The Go-Kart had 3 full models in the book.

The Excession

11,669 posts

216 months

Tuesday 20th September 2011
quotequote all
dr_gn said:
Great! My son's just 4, and I'm planning on doing the same. Hopefully he'll understand! Might start with the loader though.
My fella was four at the time, we built the loader the year before. It's amazing for them to see how a pile of bits can transform into a toy by following a few books

I believe it's so important for kids at that age to understand how you can build and make stuff. It is also a massive help in them developing finger dexterity putting the stuff together, and also learning how things in the physical 3D world are represented on a 2D page (I'm thinking Haynes manuals when he gets older)


dr_gn said:
What I don't like is that Lego is now so specific - it says on the box that it will build two models. The old stuff you got instructions for about 5 or 6 IIRC. Ah well.
It will build 2 models, the other is a Bulldozer type thing, but you need to down load and print out the PDF manual from the Lego website.

What ever you do there is nothing quite so rewarding as sitting with your child spending time building these things, just be aware that his attention span will be shorter and whilst you will be happy to sit there all day and night to get it finished he will probably have had enough after an hour or so.

Make sure you're in a quiet room with no telly for distraction!

dr_gn

14,683 posts

150 months

Tuesday 20th September 2011
quotequote all
The Excession said:
dr_gn said:
Great! My son's just 4, and I'm planning on doing the same. Hopefully he'll understand! Might start with the loader though.
My fella was four at the time, we built the loader the year before. It's amazing for them to see how a pile of bits can transform into a toy by following a few books

I believe it's so important for kids at that age to understand how you can build and make stuff. It is also a massive help in them developing finger dexterity putting the stuff together, and also learning how things in the physical 3D world are represented on a 2D page (I'm thinking Haynes manuals when he gets older)


dr_gn said:
What I don't like is that Lego is now so specific - it says on the box that it will build two models. The old stuff you got instructions for about 5 or 6 IIRC. Ah well.
It will build 2 models, the other is a Bulldozer type thing, but you need to down load and print out the PDF manual from the Lego website.

What ever you do there is nothing quite so rewarding as sitting with your child spending time building these things, just be aware that his attention span will be shorter and whilst you will be happy to sit there all day and night to get it finished he will probably have had enough after an hour or so.

Make sure you're in a quiet room with no telly for distraction!
Thanks for the tips! (we don't watch telly - the occasional dvd, but that's about it). He already loves building with Duplo and wooden blocks, and recently he's started drawing 'plans' for things which he probably got from watching me do drawings. All I can do is at least introduce him to engineering before he becomes "something to do with computers"

pstruck

3,513 posts

215 months

Tuesday 20th September 2011
quotequote all
I had some Lego Technic as a kid. My fondest memories are of building stuff with my dad, entirely from our own imagination. We constructed huge gearboxes, geared down so much that the weedy little standard electric motor would lift, push and pull really impressive loads.

In particular I remember a cable car, which climbed a rope suspended up the stair well, a bulldozer which would push a leather foot stool around the lounge, and a crane which would lift several kilos.

I am looking forward to doing the same with my own kids one day. It's a great excuse to buy some.

The Excession

11,669 posts

216 months

Tuesday 20th September 2011
quotequote all
pstruck said:
My fondest memories are of building stuff with my dad, entirely from our own imagination.
:thumbsup: Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I think that is the most important thing you can do with a child.

I have a memory burned into my head of my Dad building Mechano with me. He taught me how to assemble everything loosely and only tighten it all up when you have all the bits in place and can align them all correctly. Funny how simple little things like that stick in your head 35 years later!

With kids I think it is so important to let their imagination run wild and then just try to guide them through the process of constructing stuff and seeing what works and what doesn't.

My lad builds all kinds of crazy incomprehensible stuff with bits of Lego, but you can never put them down for it, no matter how ridiculous it might look/be to you, it's just them trying to express their ideas. I always make a point of spending a few minutes to ask about stuff he's built, what it does and why... it might only be 20 random pieces of Lego to me but to him it's a space ship that he has put a lot of thought and effort into.

I fking love Lego. Kids need so much more than just playing the Nintendo or monging out in front of the TV. It's great for a rainy day where the alternative only seems to be 'put the child in front of the TV'.

(It's also hugely satisfying for adults too!)