PH G2L deal Meg 280 owners ?

PH G2L deal Meg 280 owners ?

Author
Discussion

HipHopapotamus

108 posts

129 months

Saturday 22nd August
quotequote all
RS mode doesn’t use stop start in my experience.


olo tation

16 posts

14 months

Saturday 22nd August
quotequote all
If it's a trophy then the battery holds very little charge and probably takes around 20 minutes of driving before it activates if at all.

Also as said by others, in sport and race mode it is disabled so will never kick in then regardless.

Luke.

8,867 posts

209 months

Friday 28th August
quotequote all
Thanks for the reply and yes that all makes sense as it's the Trophy. In all honesty, not to worried about it as it's the first thing I switch off anyway.

HipHopapotamus

108 posts

129 months

Friday 28th August
quotequote all
Anyone find the washer jets to be useless when you’re on the motorway? Maybe it’s the windy North but the windscreen was barely wet when trying to clean it at 75

moonigan

1,717 posts

200 months

Friday 28th August
quotequote all
HipHopapotamus said:
Anyone find the washer jets to be useless when you’re on the motorway? Maybe it’s the windy North but the windscreen was barely wet when trying to clean it at 75
Yep. Mine were crap. The jets would only reach the bottom of the screen and you would have to wait for the water to rise up the screen to have any chance of clearing it. Almost as if noone at Renault tested them when the car was doing over 50mph.

gutbobs

59 posts

133 months

Saturday 29th August
quotequote all
moonigan said:
HipHopapotamus said:
Anyone find the washer jets to be useless when you’re on the motorway? Maybe it’s the windy North but the windscreen was barely wet when trying to clean it at 75
Yep. Mine were crap. The jets would only reach the bottom of the screen and you would have to wait for the water to rise up the screen to have any chance of clearing it. Almost as if noone at Renault tested them when the car was doing over 50mph.
Nothing wrong with mine, maybe they can be adjusted?

snorkel sucker

2,525 posts

162 months

Wednesday 2nd September
quotequote all
After 6 months and a few thousand miles ....

In general it's a pretty flawed car; if I had spent nigh-on £30K of my own money on one rather than a couple hundred quid on a lease deal, I'd not be happy.

The infotainment system is rubbish. Too many sub menus and touch screen has no place in a car with stiff suspension. The sat nav is clunky to use as well.

I'm not a fan of their keyless entry system. I'm amazed I haven't yet locked myself out!

For a family sized hatchback, trying to lean across a child seat to strap them in is a PITA as you wrestle with the phallic seat belt clip that sinks into the seat.

The boot space is crap compared to its rivals.

The seats look great and hold you nicely but I just. Can't. Seem. To get the position quite right.

The ride on cup suspension is really too harsh for UK roads.

I can't stand cars that resort to an unknown distance to empty reading when your petrol drops below a certain level. Seriously?!

The de-misting ability of the front windscreen is rubbish.

If you like fat steering wheels you'll love the RS. It makes the wheel on a BMW seem slim. I personally don't think there is any place on a performance car for an oversized steering wheel.

No auto main beam function is a pain. Love that feature and should be mandatory on fast hatches!

But, all that aside, on the right road, in the right mood the car is a riot. It has obviously had 80% of the money thrown at the chassis and has an ability far above most cars on the road.

The ride settles at higher speeds. The turn in is direct and grippy; I find it best when the traction control is off otherwise the diff can't breathe as well. I've only had a couple of drives where the 4 wheel steer has come into play but when it does it is mind blowingly agile.

I'd trade the compromised ride quality for a more polished chassis; as an example I found my M135i to have a hard ride but nowhere near a sophisticated enough chassis to warrant that. The RS on the other hand matches the ride with a better damper setup so the quicker you go, the better it gets.

It does always manage to make every drive an event; something that other hot hatches I've had haven't been able to do. But anyone looking for a relaxed daily driver should look elsewhere, or at least at the non-cup version if you live in the UK.

It is still the lease bargain of all lease bargains though and on that front will be hard to replace.

deano23

110 posts

144 months

Monday 7th September
quotequote all
snorkel sucker said:
After 6 months and a few thousand miles ....

In general it's a pretty flawed car; if I had spent nigh-on £30K of my own money on one rather than a couple hundred quid on a lease deal, I'd not be happy.

The infotainment system is rubbish. Too many sub menus and touch screen has no place in a car with stiff suspension. The sat nav is clunky to use as well.

I'm not a fan of their keyless entry system. I'm amazed I haven't yet locked myself out!

For a family sized hatchback, trying to lean across a child seat to strap them in is a PITA as you wrestle with the phallic seat belt clip that sinks into the seat.

The boot space is crap compared to its rivals.

The seats look great and hold you nicely but I just. Can't. Seem. To get the position quite right.

The ride on cup suspension is really too harsh for UK roads.

I can't stand cars that resort to an unknown distance to empty reading when your petrol drops below a certain level. Seriously?!

The de-misting ability of the front windscreen is rubbish.

If you like fat steering wheels you'll love the RS. It makes the wheel on a BMW seem slim. I personally don't think there is any place on a performance car for an oversized steering wheel.

No auto main beam function is a pain. Love that feature and should be mandatory on fast hatches!

But, all that aside, on the right road, in the right mood the car is a riot. It has obviously had 80% of the money thrown at the chassis and has an ability far above most cars on the road.

The ride settles at higher speeds. The turn in is direct and grippy; I find it best when the traction control is off otherwise the diff can't breathe as well. I've only had a couple of drives where the 4 wheel steer has come into play but when it does it is mind blowingly agile.

I'd trade the compromised ride quality for a more polished chassis; as an example I found my M135i to have a hard ride but nowhere near a sophisticated enough chassis to warrant that. The RS on the other hand matches the ride with a better damper setup so the quicker you go, the better it gets.

It does always manage to make every drive an event; something that other hot hatches I've had haven't been able to do. But anyone looking for a relaxed daily driver should look elsewhere, or at least at the non-cup version if you live in the UK.

It is still the lease bargain of all lease bargains though and on that front will be hard to replace.
Tend to agree with most of that. The infotainment really is crap and like you say, if i;d have forked out £30k plus of my own money i'd be very disappointed. As it is with the bargain lease deal it's not too much of an issue. Sat NAV is like a ten year old tom tom.

Does anyone know if there's a decent after market touchscreen to replace the existing small screen? Or is the 8.7" screen any better as a replacement? I'm looking to swap it out at some point

Luke.

8,867 posts

209 months

Monday 7th September
quotequote all
deano23 said:
Tend to agree with most of that. The infotainment really is crap and like you say, if i;d have forked out £30k plus of my own money i'd be very disappointed. As it is with the bargain lease deal it's not too much of an issue. Sat NAV is like a ten year old tom tom.

Does anyone know if there's a decent after market touchscreen to replace the existing small screen? Or is the 8.7" screen any better as a replacement? I'm looking to swap it out at some point
Seems a bit of a shag to swap out on a lease. Why not use Android Auto or Apple Car Play?

moonigan

1,717 posts

200 months

Monday 7th September
quotequote all
snorkel sucker said:
After 6 months and a few thousand miles ....


I can't stand cars that resort to an unknown distance to empty reading when your petrol drops below a certain level. Seriously?!

.
If its behaving like this https://youtu.be/MZcwSltGlXc then there is a fix which is a quick visit to a dealer.

g40steve

Original Poster:

557 posts

121 months

Saturday 12th September
quotequote all
Whoops, nicked a wheel on curb mad

Charlie Boy

154 posts

140 months

Thursday 24th September
quotequote all
I'm just wondering if there are any tall owners who could comment on the driving position in the RS? I'm 6'4" and It seems to have been a regular comment that the pedals are a little close, has anyone found it to be an issue?

HipHopapotamus

108 posts

129 months

Friday 25th September
quotequote all
I’m 6ft 3” and a size 12 feet and don’t have any trouble. The seats do remind me I’m a bit fat, though!

Charlie Boy

154 posts

140 months

Wednesday 30th September
quotequote all
HipHopapotamus said:
I’m 6ft 3” and a size 12 feet and don’t have any trouble. The seats do remind me I’m a bit fat, though!
Thanks for that, I did test one and found it a little strange with my legs being a little to close to the wheel. I didn't notice the same with any of the other cars I've tested, I30, Civic, 308 so unfortunately the Trophy isn't for me frown



HipHopapotamus

108 posts

129 months

Wednesday 30th September
quotequote all
Ah that’s a shame - lovely cars but if you’re not gonna fit nicely, be a big mistake!

gutbobs

59 posts

133 months

Thursday 1st October
quotequote all
Charlie Boy said:
Thanks for that, I did test one and found it a little strange with my legs being a little to close to the wheel. I didn't notice the same with any of the other cars I've tested, I30, Civic, 308 so unfortunately the Trophy isn't for me frown


Did you try one with Recaros? They sit a couple of cm lower than standard seats so might make a difference

Charlie Boy

154 posts

140 months

Thursday 1st October
quotequote all
gutbobs said:
Did you try one with Recaros? They sit a couple of cm lower than standard seats so might make a difference
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try one with the Recaros. Im not sure it would make much difference as its more the distance from the back of the steering wheel to the pedals. I do wonder if the facelift version might address that as its been commented on by a few reviewers.

Think ill have to do the rounds again and try out the driving position of the other contenders, just in case I'm remembering wrong on those as you'd think the 308gti would be worse due to the silly dials over the steering setup.

g40steve

Original Poster:

557 posts

121 months

Saturday 17th October
quotequote all
So glad I bagged one of these, looking at comparable deals on other hot hatches seems such a bargain!
Mates just picked up the Trophy in Red but quiet a bit more on the monthlies in comparison.

HipHopapotamus

108 posts

129 months

Saturday 17th October
quotequote all
Took mine out today, sport mode is great fun.. no regrets!