1986 Peugeot 205 engine swap

1986 Peugeot 205 engine swap

Author
Discussion

Carl.S

Original Poster:

5 posts

3 months

Monday 14th September
quotequote all
Hi everyone,

I'm new to PH and not exactly a great mechanic, so bear with me.

I have a 1986 Peugeot 205 with the 1.4 twin weber XY8 in it. It has clearly seen better days, as the block and the head can't create a solid seal (need to top off coolant every once in a while, and there is a visual stain where the two meet). Had a mechanic take a look at it, and he says it needs a new block at the very least. Personally, I'd quite like to throw something else in there, but it's my understanding that the subframe is different compared to the later TU cars, making a straight swap impossible, or at the very least difficult.

However, a 1989 CTI 1.6 popped up for sale as a parts car. It's been written off due to a fire in the cabin, but the seller notes that the engine and gearbox are fine (have my doubts.), but that the wiring loom may have been damaged. Again, I'm not too mechanically inclined, but I wonder if I could transplant the front subframe assembly, as well as the engine and gearbox.

I suppose my question is, have I completely lost my bearings, or should I pursue this idea. The rest of the car is in good, original condition, so I think it's too nice to just junk it.


EDIT: Image - That's where the block meets the head


Pericoloso

44,000 posts

123 months

Monday 14th September
quotequote all
Take the head off your engine for a proper look at it.
The mechanic who said the block is scrap could be incompetent !

Carl.S

Original Poster:

5 posts

3 months

Monday 14th September
quotequote all
I think the head was off recently. It's very shiny compared to anything else in the engine bay. Goes without saying that I bought it a couple of months ago.

Old Merc

2,706 posts

127 months

Tuesday 15th September
quotequote all
Your 205 XY8 is the old "Lay flat" flat engine with the gearbox in the sump. Its all aluminium with steel wet liners, notorious for head gasket failure. Its very difficult to remove and refit the head insitue, best to do it with the engine removed. Expect to find the head corroded beyond repair, cylinder block corroded, liner protrusion low. You will be on a hiding for nothing.

The 205 CTI has the XU GTi engine with conventional gearbox, the subframe, suspension, driveshafts etc etc, completely different. If the car had a cabin fire I`m sure the engine ECU has been toasted.

Its an interesting idea OP, but my advice is to forget it. Advertise your 205 for spares on www.clubpeugeotuk.org , I`m sure you will get some money for it.

Edited by Old Merc on Tuesday 15th September 17:26

Carl.S

Original Poster:

5 posts

3 months

Wednesday 16th September
quotequote all
Old Merc said:
Your 205 XY8 is the old "Lay flat" flat engine with the gearbox in the sump. Its all aluminium with steel wet liners, notorious for head gasket failure. Its very difficult to remove and refit the head insitue, best to do it with the engine removed. Expect to find the head corroded beyond repair, cylinder block corroded, liner protrusion low. You will be on a hiding for nothing.

The 205 CTI has the XU GTi engine with conventional gearbox, the subframe, suspension, driveshafts etc etc, completely different. If the car had a cabin fire I`m sure the engine ECU has been toasted.

Its an interesting idea OP, but my advice is to forget it. Advertise your 205 for spares on www.clubpeugeotuk.org , I`m sure you will get some money for it.

Edited by Old Merc on Tuesday 15th September 17:26
Yeah, was worried about that...

Might just put it away somewhere, buy something else as a daily driver, and relegate it to a fun weekend car where I can eventually find something to put in it down the line.

sjabrown

1,479 posts

120 months

Wednesday 16th September
quotequote all
Whatever you do don't chuck the engine and box to scrap: these aren't worth much money wise but are quite hard to find and some of us with other 'suitcase' engined cars (Peugeot 104 for example) could make use of bits as spares.

Galveston

584 posts

159 months

Thursday 17th September
quotequote all
Another problem you may have is the engine mount on the driver's side inner wing. The mount is common to the XU and later TU engines, but I think it was different for earlier engine types. That will limit your engine options unlesd you're prepared to chop the body around to fit the later mount. The subframes are easy to change.

I might be wrong... it's been years since I owned a 205.

Carl.S

Original Poster:

5 posts

3 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
sjabrown said:
Whatever you do don't chuck the engine and box to scrap: these aren't worth much money wise but are quite hard to find and some of us with other 'suitcase' engined cars (Peugeot 104 for example) could make use of bits as spares.
Wouldn't dream of it. Rest of the car is also too nice to just chuck in the bin. For now, I'm just going to keep the miles of it until I can find a better solution.

Galveston

584 posts

159 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
Galveston said:
Another problem you may have is the engine mount on the driver's side inner wing. The mount is common to the XU and later TU engines, but I think it was different for earlier engine types. That will limit your engine options unlesd you're prepared to chop the body around to fit the later mount. The subframes are easy to change.

I might be wrong... it's been years since I owned a 205.
Make that the passenger's side inner wing!

Looks a lovely little car. I miss mine (1.6 GTi).

megamaniac

1,036 posts

176 months

Tuesday 22nd September
quotequote all
i have some ecu's if that helps,would be glad to get rid of them.

Carl.S

Original Poster:

5 posts

3 months

Tuesday 22nd September
quotequote all
megamaniac said:
i have some ecu's if that helps,would be glad to get rid of them.
Thanks for the offer, but I think someone else bought the CTi (listing is down). Going to try and find a drop-in replacement engine at some point, st as they may be.

nunpuncher

1,823 posts

85 months

Thursday 8th October
quotequote all
Engine mounts are the issue. If you're going to go to the bother of having the engine mounts grafted on to fit a 205 GTI engine then you'd probably be better fitting a GTi6 engine. Probably still cheaper and easier to find than a full GTI engine and loom.