2004 Peugeot 206 GTI 180 Exhaust Fitting Labour

2004 Peugeot 206 GTI 180 Exhaust Fitting Labour

Author
Discussion

J-Cam

Original Poster:

39 posts

32 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
Hi,
As I said before, I expect all of you remember off the top of your head that I have a Peugeot 206 GTI 180!
The other day I had been thinking she was sounding a bit more like my old XR2 that had the full Magnex manifold & system.
Then I came out of work and noticed the exhaust pipes looked a bit lower than usual.
I found that the centre pipe was looking all rusty and was no longer properly attached to my back box.
I took it to a garage and the gentleman said I would need both the back box and the central/sensor pipe replacing. I've booked it in for next week and he is going to come back to me with quotes on the parts soon. In the meanwhile I've been online and presume I just need the 'whole system'. I can see some online for less than £200 although I have yet to look at official Peugeot prices and have advised the garage I want to know both.
I was wondering if you could advise me on the sort of labour time/charges I can expect to pay on top of that? And am I ok to go for a non Peugeot one? I'm not going to go for the cheapest one I see and I have a bit more research to do (hence me writing this!)
I'm also keen to have the same look twin pipes as they suit that little section in the bumper when they aren't hanging down really low! And apparently that's how you tell my car is the 180 not the Mango one (someone I knew called Mango had the other version from new years ago).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jane
xxx

MaximTax

1 posts

1 month

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
I remember.

trickywoo

8,793 posts

189 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
I doubt it would take more than 1/2 hour but they will probably charge an hour. Any more than that and they are taking the p.

J-Cam

Original Poster:

39 posts

32 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
trickywoo said:
I doubt it would take more than 1/2 hour but they will probably charge an hour. Any more than that and they are taking the p.
Ahh that is what I was hoping to hear. I just wasn't sure if changing exhausts on 2000's cars compared to 1980's ones has become as deliberately complicated as things like changing spark plugs, batteries and bulbs seem to be!

Thanks for your answer! I've just seen on one site that the whole exhaust system for a GTI 137 is £170 but for a GTI 180 it is £490. Wish me luck eh!?

carinaman

15,998 posts

131 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
I think it's a more expensive exhaust.

Kitchski has a 180bhp Citroen C4. The exhaust for the 180bhp model is specific to the 180 and is more expensive:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=17...


gforceg

3,379 posts

138 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
MaximTax said:
I remember.
You signed up to say that. I like it.


J-Cam

Original Poster:

39 posts

32 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
gforceg said:
MaximTax said:
I remember.
You signed up to say that. I like it.
I'ma snitch on him! That's my p-taking boyfriend. Laughed as he saw me get all happy when i got my first response notification!

J-Cam

Original Poster:

39 posts

32 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
carinaman said:
I think it's a more expensive exhaust.

Kitchski has a 180bhp Citroen C4. The exhaust for the 180bhp model is specific to the 180 and is more expensive:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=17...
Going to read that link properly now, thanks....

I quite regularly do this half fake/secretly proud grumble thing that everything on the 180 is different and therefore more expensive. But I'm glad mine is that model.

But I also really hope I can get the parts I need for less than what I've just seen!

Saw this which seems to definitely be for mine? Should I be scared that it is too good to be true?
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...

Put the wrong link! It is £149.00

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/293755130397?chn=ps&n...

gforceg

3,379 posts

138 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
J-Cam said:
gforceg said:
MaximTax said:
I remember.
You signed up to say that. I like it.
I'ma snitch on him! That's my p-taking boyfriend. Laughed as he saw me get all happy when i got my first response notification!
You'll both fit in just fine.



P2KKA

32 posts

19 months

Saturday 17th October
quotequote all
I don't have your reg so Ive done a lookup on a generic 206 GTi 180:

Rear silencer - pn 1726 PZ - No longer available from PSA - £741.34 inc VAT RRP

Intermediate pipe - pn 1610629380 - Available through PSA but unknown backorder date - £374.17 inc VAT RRP, Original part number was 1717 S9 but is superseded by this one.

The exhaust sections join by clamps , one from cat>mid and one mid> rear box - pn 1713 69 - £8.64 inc VAT RRP each.

If the cat is toast they are £1290>£1681 depending on VIN and one of the two choices is no longer available.


GTiWILL

540 posts

37 months

Saturday 17th October
quotequote all
Is it not time to fit a nice, aftermarket stainless steel system?

J-Cam

Original Poster:

39 posts

32 months

Saturday 17th October
quotequote all
P2KKA said:
I don't have your reg so Ive done a lookup on a generic 206 GTi 180:

Rear silencer - pn 1726 PZ - No longer available from PSA - £741.34 inc VAT RRP

Intermediate pipe - pn 1610629380 - Available through PSA but unknown backorder date - £374.17 inc VAT RRP, Original part number was 1717 S9 but is superseded by this one.

The exhaust sections join by clamps , one from cat>mid and one mid> rear box - pn 1713 69 - £8.64 inc VAT RRP each.

If the cat is toast they are £1290>£1681 depending on VIN and one of the two choices is no longer available.
Thanks ever so much for such a detailed, but yet rather scary response! Just the intermediate pipe itself costs more than I was hoping to be paying for parts! That was an amazing answer though. I love you lot!

J-Cam

Original Poster:

39 posts

32 months

Saturday 17th October
quotequote all
GTiWILL said:
Is it not time to fit a nice, aftermarket stainless steel system?
Well I didn't think I was going to be able to get her original parts and did ask the people I'm getting to fit it to make sure they look elsewhere. What do you think of that one I put the link on for earlier? I am having to do this on a tight budget so I can't go all Magnex manifold and system like the XR2 days but I also don't want to false economy & buy rubbish. That's why I often refer to myself as 'Mid-Range Jane'. It suits me in many ways!

J-Cam

Original Poster:

39 posts

32 months

Monday 19th October
quotequote all
The garage I had look at it said £415 labour and parts for an aftermarket back box and centre pipe, clamps/brackets etc. And it will have the twin pipes like my original one. I want to get it sorted quickly and don't want to get my hands dirty so I think that is decent enough. Ok it would be a lot less if I had the 138bhp version. But I love her.....

Thanks again for your advice everyone!
Jane
x