The **BOXING** thread (Vol 3)

The **BOXING** thread (Vol 3)

Author
Discussion

Miocene

942 posts

121 months

Saturday 10th November 2018
quotequote all
The knockout on Scott Cardle was vicious... went like a mannequin before toppling over.

coolchris

774 posts

166 months

Sunday 11th November 2018
quotequote all
Tony tried his best but sadly wasn't meant to be.Was surprised how he looked really flat and tired after 5 rounds as up to that point he had not absorbed much punishment .I feel the weight making probably didn't help as to me he did look a bit drained in the ring(we all know the effect it had on Roy Jones going up to heavy then dropping down) also surprised Tony hardly used his left hook especially when he was being backed up to the ropes.Now he can sign off a good career achieving more than he ever thought possible.

Fittster

20,021 posts

177 months

Sunday 11th November 2018
quotequote all
Wonder where Usyk goes next. Bellew had more success than I expected, so stepping up to opponents who could be 20Kg+ heavier and 10cm taller looks like a big ask.

CAH706

869 posts

128 months

Sunday 11th November 2018
quotequote all
Enjoyed the main fight and the bill in general.

Usyk looked liked he had a few gears still to go through to me and I suspect knew he had the measure of Bellew..... who did all he could so fair play to him for that. Main thing is he got home safely to his family wink

Be interesting to see how he gets on with the heavyweights. If his chin holds up he will give AJ a real challenge as his ring movement will drain him.

Good days for boxing!


272BHP

2,088 posts

200 months

Sunday 11th November 2018
quotequote all
Yes, where next for Usyk? I hope he moves up carefully to heavyweight he should take at least a year to put another useful 20 pounds on his frame.

Jumping into taking on the big men would be a mistake I feel. Let the top 5 sort themselves out with their various match ups and then make a challenge.




Fittster

20,021 posts

177 months

Sunday 11th November 2018
quotequote all
272BHP said:
Yes, where next for Usyk? I hope he moves up carefully to heavyweight he should take at least a year to put another useful 20 pounds on his frame.

Jumping into taking on the big men would be a mistake I feel. Let the top 5 sort themselves out with their various match ups and then make a challenge.
Usyk turns 32 in Jan, I'd get cracking if I were him. I wouldn't want to be a small and old HW taking on the big men.

lord trumpton

5,826 posts

90 months

Sunday 11th November 2018
quotequote all
Great evening of Boxing to watch

Birkin1932

769 posts

103 months

Sunday 11th November 2018
quotequote all
Who is advising scotty cardle?

It seems it was all about the pay day

He was in way over his head and is starting to sound punchy to me

He's british level at best and after recent performances needs to consider his future as he's taking too much punishment and becoming the hired punch bag

La Liga

16,428 posts

120 months

Sunday 11th November 2018
quotequote all
Interesting interview with Tyson Fury. Shines a different light on him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZtibrPo0g

FredClogs

14,041 posts

125 months

Sunday 11th November 2018
quotequote all
Birkin1932 said:
Who is advising scotty cardle?

It seems it was all about the pay day

He was in way over his head and is starting to sound punchy to me

He's british level at best and after recent performances needs to consider his future as he's taking too much punishment and becoming the hired punch bag
Agreed, I'm not mad keen on Ricky Burns extending his career either, even if he is back winning, I guess he's got Frank Warren to thank for that, a one time top level world challenger, he should have been comfortable enough to retire years ago, maybe he's playing on for another shot but I'd rather not see it.

philv

2,973 posts

178 months

Sunday 11th November 2018
quotequote all
Not a great surprise.
Bellew has a lot of heart, but not a great.
His reputation is largely built on beating a long over the hill Haye.
Good effort though.

Amirhussain

11,336 posts

127 months

Sunday 11th November 2018
quotequote all
Never watched the fight as I was at work but managed to see a clip of the KO on Twitter, was beautiful finish from Usyk, iced him out. Fair play to Bellew.

Zammy

493 posts

127 months

Sunday 11th November 2018
quotequote all
First time I have seen Usyk fight and very impressive he was. He wasn't hurt by anything Bellew threw at him and ended it beautifully. Interesting to see how he will get on as a heavyweight.

272BHP

2,088 posts

200 months

Monday 12th November 2018
quotequote all
Fittster said:
Usyk turns 32 in Jan, I'd get cracking if I were him. I wouldn't want to be a small and old HW taking on the big men.
35 is not particularly old for heavyweights. So enough time to have a year to prepare then 2 years to have 3 big PPV fights before retirement.

One thing Bellew has revealed is that Usyk is not particularly difficult to hit. Tony couldn't hurt him but it would be a different story with Wilder or Joshua.

dirty boy

14,463 posts

173 months

Monday 12th November 2018
quotequote all
272BHP said:
Fittster said:
Usyk turns 32 in Jan, I'd get cracking if I were him. I wouldn't want to be a small and old HW taking on the big men.
35 is not particularly old for heavyweights. So enough time to have a year to prepare then 2 years to have 3 big PPV fights before retirement.

One thing Bellew has revealed is that Usyk is not particularly difficult to hit. Tony couldn't hurt him but it would be a different story with Wilder or Joshua.
I thought Bellew showed how good his hands and movement was for the first few rounds, he was beating a man with a dangerous reach advantage to the jab and was out of distance before he could react. Really was impressed and he did enough to put Usyk on the back foot a couple of times, so he was certainly weary of his power,

However he clearly felt Tony was tiring and was getting a bit careless. I think perhaps the drop down in weight didn't help on the punch resistance, but that's not an excuse as Usyk is a class operator and was very careful in there and rightfully so.

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole card btw.

Kelly was like a whirlwind, not really much we can learn there, but he's great to watch and will be a ppv fighter soon no doubt.

Allen v that Argentinian dude was fking brilliant! The Argie had great hand speed and was pretty decent, but Allen is tough and just got over the line in the end. Who'd have thought Allen would win a fight due to being fitter laugh what a tear up though!

Always liked Burns, nice to see him get a good win and but jesus, Cardle got smashed there (Weight didn't help with Burns looking huge).

That filler fight with the Ukranian and Dutch dude was a cracking 4 rounder too.

Crolla fight was good.

Blimey, what a night.....I sat engrossed all evening.


MonkeyBusiness

3,422 posts

151 months

Tuesday 13th November 2018
quotequote all
dirty boy said:
Allen v that Argentinian dude was fking brilliant! The Argie had great hand speed and was pretty decent, but Allen is tough and just got over the line in the end. Who'd have thought Allen would win a fight due to being fitter laugh what a tear up though!
Allen is so frustrating and a worry. He talked afterwards about not taking his opponent seriously and had very little sparring.
He is very tough but taking too many punches.

Unless he has a proper camp, gets a new trainer, sorts his fitness out, he is going just going to be another punchbag.

tuscaneer

7,200 posts

189 months

Tuesday 13th November 2018
quotequote all
i'm watching with interest what usyk does next...i don't think he is worrying at all about the size of the bigguns as his WBS experience proves he can hang with them..i know that was few years ago now but his ring generalship against the likes of nistor and joyce showed that their size doesn't daunt him.....

but someone like medzhidov doesn't bang as hard as joshua or wilder!!

Purso

719 posts

66 months

Tuesday 13th November 2018
quotequote all
@tauscaneer, what were your thoughts on the fight mate? Be interested especially as you seem to have a relationship with the fighters in liverpool.

tuscaneer

7,200 posts

189 months

Tuesday 13th November 2018
quotequote all
Purso said:
@tauscaneer, what were your thoughts on the fight mate? Be interested especially as you seem to have a relationship with the fighters in liverpool.
honestly, that's not surprised me...i thought maybe it would go to points but that stoppage was timed beautifully. tony boxed the fight of his life but i always felt usyk was allowing him to do things to read him..almost like he had a few more gears to go through if needed early but was more intent on stalking him and laying traps for later...which proved to be the case.

Purso

719 posts

66 months

Tuesday 13th November 2018
quotequote all
I felt the biggest drain on tonys energy was the concentration he had to implement to deliver the performance he did in the early rounds as he did seem to get really tired early on the fight and the punch output didnt seem to be that high to be a factor. I guess part of it for tony was a case of experience and youth going in opposing directions.