78th Members Meeting

78th Members Meeting

Author
Discussion

ukaskew

5,866 posts

176 months

Friday 19th June
quotequote all
85Carrera said:
Quite. They are taking the piss. There’s a lot of goodwill towards them, as can be seen from this thread and the Revival thread, but asking people to donate their ticket money from this year’s non-existent events for some nebulous benefits rather than roll it over or have a refund is pretty poor form.
Castle Combe Circuit have informed 2020 season pass holders that passes will be valid for any events they manage to open to the public in 2020 and the whole of 2021. After hearing that I'd honestly be happy to 'double up' and buy another pass next year just to support them further.

They've also been open about the offices being entirely shut so emails will not be responded to until July etc. The difference in managing this between the two places I visit the most has been pretty incredible, especially as I imagine Castle Combe is the sort of place that would genuinely be at risk of losing everything in a situation like this.

OmniCognate

44 posts

57 months

Saturday 20th June
quotequote all
Yes, RIAT did that. They said our offices are shut until X but we will have an online system for refunds up and running by Y. Then within a week of that online system opening i had my money back.

Got an email through from Goodwood this morning about a drive in movie theatre they have set up. So thats yet another thing they can arrange before giving money back. I’m so disappointed in how badly Goodwood have handled this. Its like they have decided to move on and just ignore requests for refunds.

Edited by OmniCognate on Saturday 20th June 15:31


Edited by OmniCognate on Saturday 20th June 15:33

OmniCognate

44 posts

57 months

Saturday 20th June
quotequote all
BTW, i tried calling again today and they still have “our phone lines are closed” message. So no change.

However, I did get an email from Goodwood this morning saying that they are arranging a drive in movie theatre. Lord March, can you please use some of these resources to work on refunds?

NickUSA

754 posts

122 months

Saturday 20th June
quotequote all
OmniCognate said:
BTW, i tried calling again today and they still have “our phone lines are closed” message. So no change.

However, I did get an email from Goodwood this morning saying that they are arranging a drive in movie theatre. Lord March, can you please use some of these resources to work on refunds?
I feel for you as I had an email last week from the working team about another matter not related to a refund.

OmniCognate

44 posts

57 months

Monday 22nd June
quotequote all
Got confirmation of my refund today. If any of you are on Instagram you may have noticed i had put a very polite ( I thought ) message on all of the Goodwood posts expressing support for the GRRC but disappointment with how refunds are being handled. I got messaged directly from the Goodwood Estate on Saturday saying it would get resolved today, and it did.

I genuinely hope I didn’t annoy anyone at Goodwood and that they understand that no other approach seemed to have worked. They were very polite with their response and sorted things out in a way more becoming of the organisation we all know.

Thanks all on here too. I said it before and I’ll say it again, although you clearly didn’t all agree with my stance, you all responded politely and considerately. Not a common occurrence in Internet Land.

Edited by OmniCognate on Monday 22 June 15:00


Edited by OmniCognate on Monday 22 June 15:01

mk1coopers

332 posts

107 months

Monday 22nd June
quotequote all
Excellent news, glad it got sorted smile

couzens

378 posts

97 months

Monday 22nd June
quotequote all
OmniCognate said:
Got confirmation of my refund today. If any of you are on Instagram you may have noticed i had put a very polite ( I thought ) message on all of the Goodwood posts expressing support for the GRRC but disappointment with how refunds are being handled. I got messaged directly from the Goodwood Estate on Saturday saying it would get resolved today, and it did.

I genuinely hope I didn’t annoy anyone at Goodwood and that they understand that no other approach seemed to have worked. They were very polite with their response and sorted things out in a way more becoming of the organisation we all know.

Thanks all on here too. I said it before and I’ll say it again, although you clearly didn’t all agree with my stance, you all responded politely and considerately. Not a common occurrence in Internet Land.

Edited by OmniCognate on Monday 22 June 15:00


Edited by OmniCognate on Monday 22 June 15:01
Did you have to send your badges back? I've just received an email stating I won't be refunded unless I send them back. Which I'm more than happy to do of course.

They could have said that when I originally got a reply from them weeks ago!


OmniCognate

44 posts

57 months

Monday 22nd June
quotequote all
Ouch, no it didn’t say that. I assume you mean the event badges. Interestingly the refund didn’t include the delivery charge ( which was £7 if I remember correctly). Just say you already posted them.

Seems a really odd request.

ecsrobin

Original Poster:

10,746 posts

120 months

Monday 22nd June
quotequote all
I would of expected them to void your ticket number.

Lynchie999

2,971 posts

108 months

Monday 22nd June
quotequote all
Aren't the badges the ticket ?

... or is there a scanable portion ?

OmniCognate

44 posts

57 months

Monday 22nd June
quotequote all
I wonder if its to stop people using them next year. As the 78th MM was “postponed” rather than cancelled they may want to re-issue the same badges in 2021. Seems a bit cheap if that is what they’re doing.

If I’m being charitable, maybe its to stop people selling them next year to unsuspecting punters who wont know the codes have changed until they turn up at the gates and the scanner says no.

ukaskew

5,866 posts

176 months

Tuesday 23rd June
quotequote all
Lynchie999 said:
Aren't the badges the ticket ?

... or is there a scanable portion ?
There is a QR code on the back of the badge. I've had one that just flat out didn't work (my badge was direct from Goodwood) but I was let through with a queue quickly building behind me. I do wonder if it's to help avoid that happening if you subsequently decide to sell your cancelled badge on.

mk1coopers

332 posts

107 months

Tuesday 23rd June
quotequote all
I suspect that if they don't have the metal badges back from those that get refunds they will cancel the QR code on the back then when they start selling what's been returned they will go over to the paper version once the metal ones are gone, which will create an interesting situation if cancelled metal ones get back onto the market, perhaps with a 'memorabilia only' line to indicate they aren't valid so that people can't get their money back? (I've seen it done)

I know there has been talk of re-issuing both the FOS and Revival tickets with the 2021 dates when they are confirmed, which again will be interesting for those that have bought from non-official sorces as the tickets would go to those that originally bought them and the third party would be reliant on them sending the new ticket on.

150mph

37 posts

49 months

Tuesday 23rd June
quotequote all
Apologies if I’m missing something, but wouldn’t the Ticket Office simply issue the refund once the ticket/badge had been returned and not before?

Lynchie999

2,971 posts

108 months

Tuesday 23rd June
quotequote all
150mph said:
Apologies if I’m missing something, but wouldn’t the Ticket Office simply issue the refund once the ticket/badge had been returned and not before?
Yes... having to return the swing badges is to stop people getting in without paying basically which is understandable as they will still use the same 78MM badges...

No ideas for a name

703 posts

41 months

Tuesday 23rd June
quotequote all
Lynchie999 said:
Yes... having to return the swing badges is to stop people getting in without paying basically which is understandable as they will still use the same 78MM badges...
The MM metal badges are the ticket. It is still the 78th MM so the format is still okay.
I would imaging you would *have to* return the badge if you want a refund. Of course, where that refund goes is another question, it way be going to the original purchaser - who may be a friend, someone who then gave the tickets as a Chritmas present etc.

More of a problem at the moment is what happens to those badges. In a sensible world, they would be resold by Goodwood and all are happy. At present, I would think that might be dificult due to the percieved risk of virus contamination. The risk is tending towards zero, but I am not sure a business could just ignore it.

Re-purchasers might end up with a paper ticket.

ecsrobin

Original Poster:

10,746 posts

120 months

Tuesday 23rd June
quotequote all
No ideas for a name said:
The MM metal badges are the ticket. It is still the 78th MM so the format is still okay.
I would imaging you would *have to* return the badge if you want a refund. Of course, where that refund goes is another question, it way be going to the original purchaser - who may be a friend, someone who then gave the tickets as a Chritmas present etc.

More of a problem at the moment is what happens to those badges. In a sensible world, they would be resold by Goodwood and all are happy. At present, I would think that might be dificult due to the percieved risk of virus contamination. The risk is tending towards zero, but I am not sure a business could just ignore it.

Re-purchasers might end up with a paper ticket.
Shops dealing with returns just shut them away for 72hrs. Could be done easily by Goodwood.

Ian Wegg

511 posts

95 months

Tuesday 23rd June
quotequote all
The 78MM is, I think, already sold out so when it does go ahead in 10 months time the demand for tickets could be enormous. It is bound to be a target for the touts and scammers, and even original ticket holders deciding to cash in for a profit. I'm sure Goodwood won't add to their problems by not taking back cancelled tickets.

OmniCognate

44 posts

57 months

Tuesday 23rd June
quotequote all
If they can make GSA badges, surely they can just make new 78MM badges but in a different colour or something. Would have been a whole lot easier if they just admitted the 78th MM was cancelled not postponed, and just call next year’s the 79th.

I wasn’t asked to send mine back but have received an email saying my refund had been processed ( although no sign of the actual funds turning up yet. I suspect/ hope that’s just a credit card issue though ). Maybe it was just to get mine processed quickly and stop me making such a fuss. smile

Edited by OmniCognate on Tuesday 23 June 14:08

ukaskew

5,866 posts

176 months

Tuesday 23rd June
quotequote all
Ian Wegg said:
The 78MM is, I think, already sold out so when it does go ahead in 10 months time the demand for tickets could be enormous. It is bound to be a target for the touts and scammers, and even original ticket holders deciding to cash in for a profit. I'm sure Goodwood won't add to their problems by not taking back cancelled tickets.
They typically only just scrape through with a sellout out at the MM, and as tickets are limited to the various membership levels anyway I can't see it being a major issue. There will be a reasonable number of tickets returned due to people who can't make the new date, need the refund etc, that will hopefully offset most of those who couldn't go this year but will be able to go next year.

FoS and Revival may be interesting, though.