2023 FoS accommodation

2023 FoS accommodation

Author
Discussion

nammynake

Original Poster:

2,593 posts

176 months

Monday 7th November 2022
quotequote all
I’ve booked tickets for myself and my Dad for the Saturday and Sunday. This will be our first time - I’m really
looking forward to the weekend. We’ll be driving down from North Yorkshire in a new(ish) Caterham 7 - the drive down will be a steady affair via A and B roads where possible.

I’ve been looking for accommodation in either a hotel or B&B and can’t find anything within 10-15 miles, zilch, nada.

I’ve taken a punt on a room at Butlins in Bognor Regis, which I saw recommended in an old post on here. Just thought I’d flag incase anyone is planning to stay and hasn’t booked anything yet.

ecsrobin

17,528 posts

168 months

Monday 7th November 2022
quotequote all
Very standard for a Goodwood event. The estate inform competitors and traders first to allow them to book up accommodation then the dates get announced (keen attendees take a punt on suspected dates).

ch37

10,642 posts

224 months

Tuesday 8th November 2022
quotequote all
I stay in Portsmouth or Arundel usually. You'll get teams/crews as far out as that staying in the Premier Inns etc, actually quite useful as everywhere I've stayed (10+ years now) has done early breakfast sittings to accommodate that. This year I had a 6am sitting!

Just had a quick look on AirBnB and still plenty of stuff available, I'm staying in a log cabin in someone's garden next year, £59! Did that a couple of years ago too, can get much closer to the site (I'm 8 miles away this year).

nicanary

9,893 posts

149 months

Tuesday 8th November 2022
quotequote all
I know that rooms are available at the University in Chichester itself for the Revival. Don't know if the term would have broken up at FoS time. They're cheap (used to be £53 per night) and the breakfast is good (included in the price) but the beds are very uncomfortable!

Very handy place though - couple of hundred yards and you're on the A27 and in the queue.

Airbnb and Vrbo have plenty of places at varying prices within 10 miles.

LeadFarmer

7,411 posts

134 months

Tuesday 8th November 2022
quotequote all
I've booked a pitch on the Goodwood campsite, taking the caravan. Bought a 4 day pass with grandstand seats. May as well go the full hog, and staying on site should make it easy to get about. Looking forward to it, but don't really know what to expect. For those arriving by car each day, how good/bad is the traffic around Goodwood, and how much do they charge for parking?

Anyone able to answer any of these questions about camping at Goodwood please?.....

What are the campsite toilets/showers like, do they get as filthy as I imagine?
How easy is it to drive on/off the campsite to visit shops in the evening?
Are there loud generators rumbling 24/7 to provide pitch electrics?
Are the pitches big enough for a caravan, small awning and car?
Is there a shuttle bus from the campsite to the event?


Edited by LeadFarmer on Tuesday 8th November 13:17

Lynchie999

3,446 posts

156 months

Tuesday 8th November 2022
quotequote all
nicanary said:
I know that rooms are available at the University in Chichester itself for the Revival. Don't know if the term would have broken up at FoS time. They're cheap (used to be £53 per night) and the breakfast is good (included in the price) but the beds are very uncomfortable!

Very handy place though - couple of hundred yards and you're on the A27 and in the queue.
... surely just quicker to walk there from the uni ? tongue out

ch37

10,642 posts

224 months

Tuesday 8th November 2022
quotequote all
LeadFarmer said:
IFor those arriving by car each day, how good/bad is the traffic around Goodwood, and how much do they charge for parking?
Public parking is free and it's about as good as can be expected for an event of that size (actually, probably better than many equivalent events).

As always if you arrive nice and early you'd have no problems whatsoever, I always arrive for gates opening and in 10 years have never queued at all (straight into the car park).

Ian Wegg

668 posts

143 months

Tuesday 8th November 2022
quotequote all
Lynchie999 said:
... surely just quicker to walk there from the uni ? tongue out
Yep, two miles, easily doable. It will certainly be much faster to walk if the roadworks are still on Westhampnett Road! Last week, my daughter took about 90 minutes just to get out of Portfield Retail Park.

nicanary

9,893 posts

149 months

Tuesday 8th November 2022
quotequote all
Ian Wegg said:
Lynchie999 said:
... surely just quicker to walk there from the uni ? tongue out
Yep, two miles, easily doable. It will certainly be much faster to walk if the roadworks are still on Westhampnett Road! Last week, my daughter took about 90 minutes just to get out of Portfield Retail Park.
As Norman Stanley Fletcher would say - "what, with these feet?"

wiggy001

6,546 posts

274 months

Tuesday 8th November 2022
quotequote all
LeadFarmer said:
What are the campsite toilets/showers like, do they get as filthy as I imagine?
How easy is it to drive on/off the campsite to visit shops in the evening?
Are there loud generators rumbling 24/7 to provide pitch electrics?
Are the pitches big enough for a caravan, small awning and car?
Is there a shuttle bus from the campsite to the event?
My experience…

Not too bad considering the number of people there

The evening is for drinking and BBQing so no idea!

Yes - don’t pitch up under the lights!

We had enough room for a caravan with largish awning and an estate

Yes, double decker buses run regularly but sometimes it’s still quicker to walk it

Hth

tighnamara

2,229 posts

156 months

Tuesday 8th November 2022
quotequote all
nammynake said:
I’ve booked tickets for myself and my Dad for the Saturday and Sunday. This will be our first time - I’m really
looking forward to the weekend. We’ll be driving down from North Yorkshire in a new(ish) Caterham 7 - the drive down will be a steady affair via A and B roads where possible.

I’ve been looking for accommodation in either a hotel or B&B and can’t find anything within 10-15 miles, zilch, nada.

I’ve taken a punt on a room at Butlins in Bognor Regis, which I saw recommended in an old post on here. Just thought I’d flag incase anyone is planning to stay and hasn’t booked anything yet.
Just keep looking, I got a nice place through Vrbo last week near Mid Lavant, so only a few miles from Goodwood.

You need to watch the prices, some are pushing it, but probably know they will get it as time passes and accommodation is scarce.

Edited to add, haven’t been to the FOS for a good few years, have been down to members meeting and revival since so looking forward to this visit for something different.




Edited by tighnamara on Tuesday 8th November 22:14

AXlawrence

532 posts

127 months

Thursday 10th November 2022
quotequote all
I booked a small 1 person Airbnb in Chichester earlier. I was pretty shocked at how expensive everything on booking.com looked when I went on there.

My other option was going to be to camp at a nearby campsite. There appear to be plenty nearby and way cheaper than camping on site.

CABC

5,650 posts

104 months

Sunday 27th November 2022
quotequote all
My hotel just cancelled my Booking.com reservation citing a pricing error on original rate. It’s actually the normal rate but they’ve clearly decided to raise it for Goodwood. I don’t mind *so much* when this done for speculative bookings made before dates announced, but I booked this couple of weeks after dates released.

Jolly Drover. Can’t be trusted.

anonymous-user

57 months

Sunday 27th November 2022
quotequote all
CABC said:
My hotel just cancelled my Booking.com reservation citing a pricing error on original rate. It’s actually the normal rate but they’ve clearly decided to raise it for Goodwood. I don’t mind *so much* when this done for speculative bookings made before dates announced, but I booked this couple of weeks after dates released.

Jolly Drover. Can’t be trusted.
Midhurst?

I also recommend people check out Petersfield, Alton and Arundel.

nordboy

1,639 posts

53 months

Monday 28th November 2022
quotequote all
CABC said:
My hotel just cancelled my Booking.com reservation citing a pricing error on original rate. It’s actually the normal rate but they’ve clearly decided to raise it for Goodwood. I don’t mind *so much* when this done for speculative bookings made before dates announced, but I booked this couple of weeks after dates released.

Jolly Drover. Can’t be trusted.
My accomodation for 2022 did exactly this when they realised it was FOS weekend. Tripled the price. So I cancelled and got somewhere cheaper than the original but further away.

I'm also expecting 2023's to do the same when they realise, I have got it pretty cheap and closer than I normally stay. I do keep checking it to make sure. Maybe I should start booking a couple of places, having a back up (not really). I'm sure people do this, but I'm reluctant to do so as I know that it can be difficult to get somewhere to stay so others should benefit. Places like booking . com make this sort of thing easier with late cancellations.

ecsrobin

17,528 posts

168 months

Monday 28th November 2022
quotequote all
pocketspring said:
CABC said:
My hotel just cancelled my Booking.com reservation citing a pricing error on original rate. It’s actually the normal rate but they’ve clearly decided to raise it for Goodwood. I don’t mind *so much* when this done for speculative bookings made before dates announced, but I booked this couple of weeks after dates released.

Jolly Drover. Can’t be trusted.
Midhurst?

I also recommend people check out Petersfield, Alton and Arundel.
Liss isn’t it?

Worth leaving a review on something like google/booking.com I get businesses need to make money but they’ve set out a rate they fill is good to fill their rooms all year round so if someone gets that room and then realise they could make some more profit let them have it and increase the empty rooms cost.

anonymous-user

57 months

Monday 28th November 2022
quotequote all
ecsrobin said:
pocketspring said:
CABC said:
My hotel just cancelled my Booking.com reservation citing a pricing error on original rate. It’s actually the normal rate but they’ve clearly decided to raise it for Goodwood. I don’t mind *so much* when this done for speculative bookings made before dates announced, but I booked this couple of weeks after dates released.

Jolly Drover. Can’t be trusted.
Midhurst?

I also recommend people check out Petersfield, Alton and Arundel.
Liss isn’t it?

Worth leaving a review on something like google/booking.com I get businesses need to make money but they’ve set out a rate they fill is good to fill their rooms all year round so if someone gets that room and then realise they could make some more profit let them have it and increase the empty rooms cost.
Yep Liss it is. No idea why I said Midhurst. I'm blaming 4 solid 14 hour working days.... laugh

livinginasia

851 posts

113 months

Monday 5th December 2022
quotequote all
We live about 30 mins from FOS, never had any issue with traffic but we tend to leave early and enjoy a full day at Goodwood, rather than arrive mid morning.

We have a spare room / guest bathroom if anyone is stuck and needs a bed for the weekend, I am sure my wife can do a nice breakfast!

thebullettrain

1,038 posts

242 months

Tuesday 27th December 2022
quotequote all
livinginasia said:
We live about 30 mins from FOS, never had any issue with traffic but we tend to leave early and enjoy a full day at Goodwood, rather than arrive mid morning.

We have a spare room / guest bathroom if anyone is stuck and needs a bed for the weekend, I am sure my wife can do a nice breakfast!
Hey. How early do you suggest?

thebullettrain

1,038 posts

242 months

Tuesday 27th December 2022
quotequote all
ch37 said:
LeadFarmer said:
IFor those arriving by car each day, how good/bad is the traffic around Goodwood, and how much do they charge for parking?
Public parking is free and it's about as good as can be expected for an event of that size (actually, probably better than many equivalent events).

As always if you arrive nice and early you'd have no problems whatsoever, I always arrive for gates opening and in 10 years have never queued at all (straight into the car park).
When do the gates open?