Honda S2000 values

Honda S2000 values

Author
Discussion

ThousandYardStare

Original Poster:

43 posts

39 months

Sunday 18th March 2018
quotequote all
I recall looking at these about 5-6 years ago to replace an MX5. Decided back then they were a little overpriced for what they are.

Imagine my surprise this week, when visiting a client, to see them retailing an 05 S2000 for nearly £14k. It's nice, has done less than 70k miles - but that's pretty strong cash when you consider what you can get from Porsche for similar money.

Is this an oddity - or should I really have bought an S2000 when I had a chance?

Commander2874

315 posts

51 months

Sunday 18th March 2018
quotequote all
Great cars and a car which i have grown to admire since owning a civic type r. They have definitely risen in price over the last few years and have one of the best engines you can buy.

So yes, you should have bought one lol!

fuchsiasteve

296 posts

172 months

Monday 19th March 2018
quotequote all
Running costs are a fraction of what Porsche are which wins it for most while more exciting to drive. 9,000 rpm redline and a gorgeous rifle bolt gearbox makes it the perfect summers day toy.

Or buy a boxster and cross everything hoping nothing goes wrong costing you thousands!

Little Bob

156 posts

175 months

Tuesday 20th March 2018
quotequote all
The only Porsche you could get for £14k would be a Boxster wouldn't it?

I think the S2000 compares very well to a Boxster.

Toyoda

1,354 posts

66 months

Tuesday 20th March 2018
quotequote all
Little Bob said:
The only Porsche you could get for £14k would be a Boxster wouldn't it?

I think the S2000 compares very well to a Boxster.
Cayman can be had for that money.

russy01

4,542 posts

147 months

Tuesday 20th March 2018
quotequote all
Prices are getting silly now.

I put 25k on mine and it hardly cost a penny in depreciation. But the fella who bought it from me was able to sell it 2yrs later and pocket a few K!!

Very good car, loved mine and in hindsight shouldn’t have sold it. Looked at getting back into one last year and I couldn’t bring myself to pay the premium after driving one. Whilst they are great they are a bit flawed and I preferred the Z4M...

Depends how much you want one? As ultimately the premium prices bring a lot of very capable cars into the equation.


ThousandYardStare

Original Poster:

43 posts

39 months

Tuesday 20th March 2018
quotequote all
Toyoda said:
Little Bob said:
The only Porsche you could get for £14k would be a Boxster wouldn't it?

I think the S2000 compares very well to a Boxster.
Cayman can be had for that money.
You'd get a reasonable 996 C2 for that kind of money, too.

Bit of a gamble, maybe, but do you feel lucky or not?

I need to try an S2000 - but am increasingly feeling like I missed the boat.

Vtec_Luke

62 posts

53 months

Monday 2nd April 2018
quotequote all


Sold mine a year or so ago...£4500 on 103,000 miles,guy ripped my arm off for it

NorthernSky

666 posts

83 months

Tuesday 3rd April 2018
quotequote all
Vtec_Luke said:


Sold mine a year or so ago...£4500 on 103,000 miles,guy ripped my arm off for it
...Probably because for that money there is frankly nothing else available that's such fun, with this special engine, RWD, and reliability - the engines are good for 200,000 easily!

Do you regret selling it? Would be keen to know.

Vtec_Luke

62 posts

53 months

Saturday 7th April 2018
quotequote all
NorthernSky said:
...Probably because for that money there is frankly nothing else available that's such fun, with this special engine, RWD, and reliability - the engines are good for 200,000 easily!

Do you regret selling it? Would be keen to know.
Massively...best car I’ve ever owned it’s just my wife fell pregnant with my son so I wanted something I could share with my family,can’t do goodwood in an S2 with 3 of you! Hehe

Vtec_Luke

62 posts

53 months

Saturday 7th April 2018
quotequote all
anonymous said:
[redacted]



My baby long gone too frown

pattyg

1,242 posts

193 months

Sunday 8th April 2018
quotequote all
Great cars but a non starter if you are 6ft or over imo.

Andy S15

399 posts

93 months

Monday 9th April 2018
quotequote all
pattyg said:
Great cars but a non starter if you are 6ft or over imo.
I'm a smidge over 6ft and I did end up having to fit a Recaro SPG to get my ideal driving position. Definitely felt too high on the stock seat, but you can buy aftermarket frames which will lower the stock setup by an inch or two. There are ways around.

lordofthewings

165 posts

38 months

Monday 9th April 2018
quotequote all
ThousandYardStare said:
Imagine my surprise this week, when visiting a client, to see them retailing an 05 S2000 for nearly £14k. It's nice, has done less than 70k miles - but that's pretty strong cash when you consider what you can get from Porsche for similar money.
There's been a very low mileage (8,608 miles) Nurburgring Blue one on PH for ages, priced at almost £18K but at that mileage I'm surprised it didn't sell.

trails

968 posts

115 months

Tuesday 10th April 2018
quotequote all
I paid £8300 for a one owner 55plate 56k Moonrock almost three years ago. Pretty pleased with my timing; it's on 72k now and the prices are still on the up smile

Little Bob

156 posts

175 months

Wednesday 11th April 2018
quotequote all
ThousandYardStare said:
Toyoda said:
Little Bob said:
The only Porsche you could get for £14k would be a Boxster wouldn't it?

I think the S2000 compares very well to a Boxster.
Cayman can be had for that money.
You'd get a reasonable 996 C2 for that kind of money, too.

Bit of a gamble, maybe, but do you feel lucky or not?

I need to try an S2000 - but am increasingly feeling like I missed the boat.
OK, but I was thinking comparable cars, I.e. Soft top. Maybe a 996 cab but not sure what one of those at £14k would be like? I don't see a Cayman as comparable due to the roof.

I bought a 21k mile Moonrock S2000 with red and black interior last November to replace my Elise, and I have to say it is a fantastic thing.
The engine is utterly compelling between 6-9000 rpm, but very easy to drive sedately out of vtec.
These are special and unique cars, unsurprisingly prices are going north, there really isn't anything else like them.

Little Bob

156 posts

175 months

Wednesday 11th April 2018
quotequote all
Here it is:


trails

968 posts

115 months

Thursday 12th April 2018
quotequote all
Little Bob said:
Here it is:

nice...must be fresh as a daisy on 21k smile

trails

968 posts

115 months

Thursday 12th April 2018
quotequote all
Mine.


Vtec_Luke

62 posts

53 months

Thursday 12th April 2018
quotequote all
Little Bob said:
Here it is:

That is beautiful