M3 Touring latest

M3 Touring latest

Author
Discussion

chimera40v8

53 posts

17 months

Tuesday 14th March 2023
quotequote all
So after the long wait for the car, the next much shorter wait is to get it back from PPF and ceramic coating. Got these swapped over before it went off though.


rassi

2,461 posts

254 months

Tuesday 14th March 2023
quotequote all
chimera40v8 said:
So after the long wait for the car, the next much shorter wait is to get it back from PPF and ceramic coating. Got these swapped over before it went off though.

That looks amazing with those wheels (forget the Style) but I imagine that the ride will take a real beating (pun intended) - they are 20" F and 21" R?

chimera40v8

53 posts

17 months

Tuesday 14th March 2023
quotequote all
rassi said:
That looks amazing with those wheels (forget the Style) but I imagine that the ride will take a real beating (pun intended) - they are 20" F and 21" R?
Yes, that's right, a staggered 20 & 21 instead of 19 & 20.

So here's the thing... so far... very little difference from the stock wheels. On local roads I know well, there's hardly any difference. And my local roads are in a properly sh*t condition at the moment.

I think part of the thing is that I've come from an M2 Comp where you feel every little bump in the road - its not a crashy ride, but its very firm and you feel everything. The Touring in Comfort mode is incredibly comfortable and smooth by comparison, so its all relative I guess.

catfood12

1,436 posts

145 months

Wednesday 15th March 2023
quotequote all
chimera40v8 said:
So after the long wait for the car, the next much shorter wait is to get it back from PPF and ceramic coating. Got these swapped over before it went off though.

Looks stunning fella!

I had same, got mine, then left it at the wrappers for a week for PPF. Also had windscreen done too!

chimera40v8

53 posts

17 months

Wednesday 15th March 2023
quotequote all
catfood12 said:
Looks stunning fella!

I had same, got mine, then left it at the wrappers for a week for PPF. Also had windscreen done too!
Thanks, am pleased with the wheels. I still think it's subtle enough in that colour, even with gold wheels. My missus isn't quite so sure...

Its weird after waiting so long for the car, to go and have to put it in somewhere else for a week!

As well as the ride quality, I was very impressed with the traction from XDrive and how planted it feels on the road. On Monday it was absolutely torrential rain all day and the car felt so sure-footed, it really inspired confidence.

bigandclever

13,866 posts

241 months

Thursday 16th March 2023
quotequote all
Interesting to see the thread calling out the driving standard of someone in one of the press cars has been removed. And a subsequent post in Website Feedback, questioning that, has also been deleted.

I mean, we're up to volume 6(!) of the 'st driving' thread, but can't go upsetting BMW can we.

Cam Tait

51 posts

123 months

PH TEAM

Thursday 16th March 2023
quotequote all
Naming and shaming is not permitted on PistonHeads. Commenting on bad driving is one thing, but speculation that links said driving to an individual is something we won’t tolerate. Thanks all for your understanding.

Mezzanine

9,418 posts

222 months

Thursday 16th March 2023
quotequote all
Cam Tait said:
Naming and shaming is not permitted on PistonHeads. Commenting on bad driving is one thing, but speculation that links said driving to an individual is something we won’t tolerate. Thanks all for your understanding.
Could you not have just removed the posts alluding to who it might/might not have been rather than just wiping out the whole thread ever existing?

DanielRowbottom

39 posts

126 months

Saturday 25th March 2023
quotequote all
So,

I have another couple months to wait, well about 7 weeks.

Getting itchy feet...

Please fill me with confidence that this is a 'sensible' purchase guys!

FYI, I'm not buying to flip!


catfood12

1,436 posts

145 months

Sunday 26th March 2023
quotequote all
DanielRowbottom said:
So,

I have another couple months to wait, well about 7 weeks.

Getting itchy feet...

Please fill me with confidence that this is a 'sensible' purchase guys!

FYI, I'm not buying to flip!
Don't lose the faith fella. I'm now 3K miles up in mine and it's fab. This weekend it was the rugby club tour load lugger. 4 up and all our gear.



The vast majority of people have no idea what it is. To the general populace it's just a BMW estate car. It was left unmolested in a Haven caravan park all weekend, and managed to get all the kit in both ways, whilst providing effortless overtaking fun on country roads, and I had to be careful to stay out of licence compromising speeds on the motorways. All whilst being entertained by the very impressive Harmon Kardon audio system, and with a comfortably toasty warm ass on the super leather seats.

I'm well aware the 340i-X will do 90% of that. It's getting the last 10% that makes the difference.

Surprised how many there aren't on here after the months of chat..... Looking forward to another in seven weeks.

Richard-axnkj

1 posts

16 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
Wow! The negativity just drips off this thread. So boringly chippy. What’s wrong with you all? Whilst I appreciate many really do care what residual values do the naysayers should appreciate that many don’t give a damn. Yes it’s a 90-100k M3 but the bar has moved so far that really it’s a 90-100k RS6 alternative. As a performance vehicle it’s pretty stunning.

I received mine last week. Still running it in but conclusions so far:


Engine is enormously powerful from pretty much anywhere in the rev range and in the age of GPF etc actually wonderfully characterful (somewhat artificial piped in sound aside….). To me it feels like it’s putting out considerably more than the quoted 500bhp. Has anyone had one on a rolling road?

Gearbox- yes would have preferred a double clutch box (maybe) but this thing just works. In auto it’s just about always in the right gear and able to take advantage of all 500 ponies.

Ride….. this has been my biggest surprise. To my amateur backside the damping on this thing is just about perfect for British roads. Running it around Cornish B roads for 5 days I found it wonderfully compliant in standard comfort mode. Zero crash or anything else to upset traction. BMW really should be applauded for this.

Comfort/tech etc. This thing is just dripping tech. My other vehicles are all pretty analogue so this was all a massive surprise for me. The built in dash cam functionality for instance I think is brilliant. Idrive I’m just getting used to but feels a lot more intuitive than the system in my Merc. I have the standard none bucket seats and find them supportive and comfortable. Fit and finish internally? Flawless.


Point to point on British roads in normal conditions I’m not sure there’s a much better tool for making confident progress. This thing is a 3 series with in excess of 500bhp, yes a little lardier than previous iterations but that’s inevitable in modern motors. Quite frankly I don’t care how many are on AT. I bought this vehicle to drive and enjoy for what it is.






ledz

581 posts

42 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
Richard-axnkj said:
Wow! The negativity just drips off this thread. So boringly chippy. What’s wrong with you all? Whilst I appreciate many really do care what residual values do the naysayers should appreciate that many don’t give a damn. Yes it’s a 90-100k M3 but the bar has moved so far that really it’s a 90-100k RS6 alternative. As a performance vehicle it’s pretty stunning.

I received mine last week. Still running it in but conclusions so far:


Engine is enormously powerful from pretty much anywhere in the rev range and in the age of GPF etc actually wonderfully characterful (somewhat artificial piped in sound aside….). To me it feels like it’s putting out considerably more than the quoted 500bhp. Has anyone had one on a rolling road?

Gearbox- yes would have preferred a double clutch box (maybe) but this thing just works. In auto it’s just about always in the right gear and able to take advantage of all 500 ponies.

Ride….. this has been my biggest surprise. To my amateur backside the damping on this thing is just about perfect for British roads. Running it around Cornish B roads for 5 days I found it wonderfully compliant in standard comfort mode. Zero crash or anything else to upset traction. BMW really should be applauded for this.

Comfort/tech etc. This thing is just dripping tech. My other vehicles are all pretty analogue so this was all a massive surprise for me. The built in dash cam functionality for instance I think is brilliant. Idrive I’m just getting used to but feels a lot more intuitive than the system in my Merc. I have the standard none bucket seats and find them supportive and comfortable. Fit and finish internally? Flawless.


Point to point on British roads in normal conditions I’m not sure there’s a much better tool for making confident progress. This thing is a 3 series with in excess of 500bhp, yes a little lardier than previous iterations but that’s inevitable in modern motors. Quite frankly I don’t care how many are on AT. I bought this vehicle to drive and enjoy for what it is.



great review.

Tagteam

294 posts

26 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
catfood12 said:
DanielRowbottom said:
So,

I have another couple months to wait, well about 7 weeks.

Getting itchy feet...

Please fill me with confidence that this is a 'sensible' purchase guys!

FYI, I'm not buying to flip!
Don't lose the faith fella. I'm now 3K miles up in mine and it's fab. This weekend it was the rugby club tour load lugger. 4 up and all our gear.



The vast majority of people have no idea what it is. To the general populace it's just a BMW estate car. It was left unmolested in a Haven caravan park all weekend, and managed to get all the kit in both ways, whilst providing effortless overtaking fun on country roads, and I had to be careful to stay out of licence compromising speeds on the motorways. All whilst being entertained by the very impressive Harmon Kardon audio system, and with a comfortably toasty warm ass on the super leather seats.

I'm well aware the 340i-X will do 90% of that. It's getting the last 10% that makes the difference.

Surprised how many there aren't on here after the months of chat..... Looking forward to another in seven weeks.
The last 10per cent makes all the difference. I thought that when I got my e92. It’s lots of one per cents is many areas

chimera40v8

53 posts

17 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
Richard-axnkj said:
Wow! The negativity just drips off this thread. So boringly chippy. What’s wrong with you all? Whilst I appreciate many really do care what residual values do the naysayers should appreciate that many don’t give a damn. Yes it’s a 90-100k M3 but the bar has moved so far that really it’s a 90-100k RS6 alternative. As a performance vehicle it’s pretty stunning.

I received mine last week. Still running it in but conclusions so far:


Engine is enormously powerful from pretty much anywhere in the rev range and in the age of GPF etc actually wonderfully characterful (somewhat artificial piped in sound aside….). To me it feels like it’s putting out considerably more than the quoted 500bhp. Has anyone had one on a rolling road?

Gearbox- yes would have preferred a double clutch box (maybe) but this thing just works. In auto it’s just about always in the right gear and able to take advantage of all 500 ponies.

Ride….. this has been my biggest surprise. To my amateur backside the damping on this thing is just about perfect for British roads. Running it around Cornish B roads for 5 days I found it wonderfully compliant in standard comfort mode. Zero crash or anything else to upset traction. BMW really should be applauded for this.

Comfort/tech etc. This thing is just dripping tech. My other vehicles are all pretty analogue so this was all a massive surprise for me. The built in dash cam functionality for instance I think is brilliant. Idrive I’m just getting used to but feels a lot more intuitive than the system in my Merc. I have the standard none bucket seats and find them supportive and comfortable. Fit and finish internally? Flawless.


Point to point on British roads in normal conditions I’m not sure there’s a much better tool for making confident progress. This thing is a 3 series with in excess of 500bhp, yes a little lardier than previous iterations but that’s inevitable in modern motors. Quite frankly I don’t care how many are on AT. I bought this vehicle to drive and enjoy for what it is.



Great to see some posts about the actual car itself now, it sounds like we're all having the same experience....

I've had mine about two and half weeks, but only had it for 4 or 5 days due to getting the ceramic coating etc on it. Am about 550 miles in to the initial run-in period - with that & the weather has been pretty rubbish, lots of rain and cold temps so I've just left it in comfort mode and all the default settings for the time being.

Ride quality - biggest pleasant surprise. Compared to my M2 Comp and C4S before it, it's incredibly comfortable, even on the bigger wheels. Even on some really rubbish B roads, its never harsh or crashy.

Its got loads of torque - more than enough to get past stuff on country roads without really breaking a sweat, but it's just how planted it feels in all weather conditions that really inspires confidence. So far, its exactly what I was hoping it would be.

A few pics from a weekend drive in Scottish Borders - nowhere near as shiny as it was this time last week. Time for a few tip runs this weekend and will try out the roof bars on it for the mountain bike.








nickfrog

21,526 posts

220 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
chimera40v8 said:
Stunning. I love how the top of the rear arch has caught a triangle of sky reflection that accentuates the way it is flared. Good photography biggrin

Percy.

824 posts

77 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
nickfrog said:
Stunning. I love how the top of the rear arch has caught a triangle of sky reflection that accentuates the way it is flared. Good photography biggrin
Makes the arch flare looks huge, great photo

chimera40v8

53 posts

17 months

Wednesday 29th March 2023
quotequote all
nickfrog said:
Stunning. I love how the top of the rear arch has caught a triangle of sky reflection that accentuates the way it is flared. Good photography biggrin
Total pot luck but thank you smile

Stever

1,529 posts

252 months

Wednesday 29th March 2023
quotequote all
chimera40v8 said:
I'm just jealous that you can keep you car in the kitchen.

chimera40v8

53 posts

17 months

Sunday 2nd April 2023
quotequote all
Obligatory tip run picture.

About 750 miles in to the run-in period now so have started to have a play with some of the setup options - the weather is also much better than when I picked the car up.

Comfort to sports suspension really makes a big difference to the feel on the twisty stuff. Add in sports steering and the whole car feels like it shrinks around you a bit. Very impressive in how it seems to reduce any remaining roll when you're hustling it along, but the ride doesn't get harsh or crashy. As much as the engine is the highlight so far, the ride comfort is very close behind.


Bemmer

1,118 posts

205 months

Wednesday 5th April 2023
quotequote all
Brand New even getting to a Trade Auction now...rolleyes