Wrist check 2021

Wrist check 2021

Author
Discussion

vixen1700

15,496 posts

234 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
GCH said:
A £5 tube of polywatch & a little elbow grease will have those scratches gone in no time.
Cheers! Now otdered so will give it a go. smile

WhisperingWasp

516 posts

101 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
leglessAlex said:
EX51GE R said:
Spring has sprung...

That's a really good photo!
And a lovely watch.

ZesPak

22,075 posts

160 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
That's a lovely watch, but how did he get it over that branch? Did someone go through the trouble of undoing the bracelet and redoing it just for a photo?

EX51GE R

958 posts

174 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
ZesPak said:
That's a lovely watch, but how did he get it over that branch? Did someone go through the trouble of undoing the bracelet and redoing it just for a photo?
No, I simply slid it over very carefully, it's on the very end of a branch so not too difficult.

Barchettaman

4,265 posts

96 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
‘Branch Check 2021’

Should’ve started a new thread really.

Only kidding. Nice watch.

Emonda03

703 posts

164 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
WhisperingWasp said:
And a lovely watch.
So tempted all the time by the Seiko Snowflake, love the dial...cracking looking watch

Mezzanine

6,008 posts

183 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Emonda03 said:
So tempted all the time by the Seiko Snowflake, love the dial...cracking looking watch
How about the new ‘White Birch’? I’d say an even better dial than the Snow Flake, has the fancy new movement and is not titanium.



Grand Seiko SLGH005

leglessAlex

3,962 posts

105 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Mezzanine said:
How about the new ‘White Birch’? I’d say an even better dial than the Snow Flake, has the fancy new movement and is not titanium.



Grand Seiko SLGH005
This would be my choice, I had a Snowflake and sold it realtively quickly. It might be the GS to have, but I never really got on with the comfort and weight, or lack of. YMMV!

Mezzanine

6,008 posts

183 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
leglessAlex said:
Mezzanine said:
How about the new ‘White Birch’? I’d say an even better dial than the Snow Flake, has the fancy new movement and is not titanium.



Grand Seiko SLGH005
This would be my choice, I had a Snowflake and sold it realtively quickly. It might be the GS to have, but I never really got on with the comfort and weight, or lack of. YMMV!
This seems to be a similar story with many a Snowflake owner.

This new one seems to be very much a ‘premium’ Snowflake.



Pookie123

721 posts

102 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Tag Calibre 7 Twin Time

It’s my everyday watch, had it for nearly 6 years now and has never let me down


Meeten-5dulx

1,549 posts

20 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Mezzanine said:
Emonda03 said:
So tempted all the time by the Seiko Snowflake, love the dial...cracking looking watch
How about the new ‘White Birch’? I’d say an even better dial than the Snow Flake, has the fancy new movement and is not titanium.



Grand Seiko SLGH005
This is stunning - but at circa £8k you really want to want it!

Doofus

15,175 posts

137 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Meeten-5dulx said:
This is stunning - but at circa £8k you really want to want it!
That's the thing. I'd never buy a Rolex because of the name, but I'd also never buy a Grand Seiko because of (part of) the name. Even though that one aboce looks lovely.

Before everybody piles in; I know I'm 'wrong', but that's how it is.

toon10

5,147 posts

121 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Doofus said:
That's the thing. I'd never buy a Rolex because of the name, but I'd also never buy a Grand Seiko because of (part of) the name. Even though that one aboce looks lovely.

Before everybody piles in; I know I'm 'wrong', but that's how it is.
I'm with you on both counts for what it's worth.

robbiekhan

809 posts

141 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
I would never buy any Rolex full stop even if I had unlimited cash as they genuinely do nothing for me, same with Omega. Grand Seiko on the other hand as I know how they are made (by hand) and seen the watchmakers working on them and the pride and passion they put into every piece is well worth the price.

One watchmaker at GS Artist Studio remarked that if he made a watch beautifully, then the watch will be beautiful, and rightly so.

ZesPak

22,075 posts

160 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Meeten-5dulx said:
This is stunning - but at circa £8k you really want to want it!
Isn't that a bit of a given? I mean, you're in a bubble here. 99% of the population will find anything over 200 GBP just a ridiculous amount to spend on a watch.

You get something like this because it does something for you, in the way it's built or engineered, the way it looks or just how the brand makes you feel.

I'd say to most of us it's just a piece of decoration we're used to. So any amount >0 is overkill.
I wear a watch because I'm used to it and I do use it to see the time, even though most of the time I'm at my computer and if not I have a phone. I have >30 of them (that add up to well over 8k in total) because I like the aesthetics and some change.

gregs656

6,479 posts

145 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Doofus said:
That's the thing. I'd never buy a Rolex because of the name, but I'd also never buy a Grand Seiko because of (part of) the name. Even though that one aboce looks lovely.

Before everybody piles in; I know I'm 'wrong', but that's how it is.
I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

The Presage range seems to be increasing in price too, but I have to say some of them are looking pretty good value. The new blue/white sharp edge GMT looks great, and has a bit of GS flavour.

T6 vanman

1,706 posts

63 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
ZesPak said:
robbiekhan said:
toon10 said:
Doofus said:
Meeten-5dulx said:
This is stunning - but at circa £8k you really want to want it!
That's the thing. I'd never buy a Rolex because of the name,..............
Before everybody piles in; I know I'm 'wrong', but that's how it is.
I'm with you on both counts for what it's worth.
I would never buy any Rolex full stop even if I had unlimited cash as they genuinely do nothing for me,
One watchmaker at GS Artist Studio remarked that if he made a watch beautifully, then the watch will be beautiful, and rightly so.
Isn't that a bit of a given? I mean, you're in a bubble here. 99% of the population will find anything over 200 GBP just a ridiculous amount to spend on a watch.
I have >30 of them (that add up to well over 8k in total) because I like the aesthetics and some change.
I had a huge shock when renewing the house insurance and Omega now up to £15k, Blancpain £10k, RJ £8k, Hublot £8k.
Rolex may be a benchmark but should never be the default answer to a £8k watch, if someone want's it they want it (I just want like something different). .. there's great variety in the £8k watch and GS easily holds it's head up high in this region,
Lovely photo EX51GE R and i'm sure the SLGH005 is lovely too

Dr.Seuss

133 posts

12 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
magpie215 said:
aussieal said:
magpie215 said:
I really like these, it's a Murph, right?
Yes
Decent film

Dr.Seuss

133 posts

12 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
leglessAlex said:
Mezzanine said:
How about the new ‘White Birch’? I’d say an even better dial than the Snow Flake, has the fancy new movement and is not titanium.



Grand Seiko SLGH005
This would be my choice, I had a Snowflake and sold it realtively quickly. It might be the GS to have, but I never really got on with the comfort and weight, or lack of. YMMV!
If it’s lack of weight that concerns you then I wouldn’t go for a titanium watch, I have The Citizen and it feels like it came out of a Christmas cracker. I still love it though. The best quartz watch money can buy.

https://deployant.com/review-enter-the-dragon-the-...




Mezzanine

6,008 posts

183 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Dr.Seuss said:
If it’s lack of weight that concerns you then I wouldn’t go for a titanium watch, I have The Citizen and it feels like it came out of a Christmas cracker. I still love it though. The best quartz watch money can buy.

https://deployant.com/review-enter-the-dragon-the-...
I was unaware of that Citizen. Thanks for the education!