The Under £200ish Watch and occasional Opera Thread! Vol2

The Under £200ish Watch and occasional Opera Thread! Vol2

Author
Discussion

RSTurboPaul

10,056 posts

256 months

Friday 29th September 2023
quotequote all
Kes Arevo said:
Well, got it...

Was a toss up between the standard black, or the RC. The RC just edged it for the little tinge of colour, plus legibility. They really do look stunning in person, remarkable for the price.

That is really nice, the black-on-black version is cool but I like to be able to glance at the time, not spend 30 seconds squinting at it to see where the hands are. lol

Kes Arevo

3,555 posts

37 months

Friday 29th September 2023
quotequote all
RSTurboPaul said:
Silvanus said:
This has just been delivered and I'm really surprised how much I like. It's far better built than the online pics or this photo would have you believe, only disappointment is it didn't come with any instructions for the functions. Biggest surprise is the price. £7.59 including tax and delivery.

I don't understand how it is possible to build, sell and ship something from halfway round the world for under 8 quid!
I bought a Skmei chronograph, and it cost buttons, and certainly looks decent. For the price they are cracking bits of kit.

Silvanus

5,024 posts

21 months

Friday 29th September 2023
quotequote all
Kes Arevo said:
RSTurboPaul said:
Silvanus said:
This has just been delivered and I'm really surprised how much I like. It's far better built than the online pics or this photo would have you believe, only disappointment is it didn't come with any instructions for the functions. Biggest surprise is the price. £7.59 including tax and delivery.

I don't understand how it is possible to build, sell and ship something from halfway round the world for under 8 quid!
I bought a Skmei chronograph, and it cost buttons, and certainly looks decent. For the price they are cracking bits of kit.
It's actually got me thinking post purchase whether the price is possible without there being something unpalatable going on somewhere along the line. Guess that topic is for a different thread.

RSTurboPaul

10,056 posts

256 months

Friday 29th September 2023
quotequote all
Silvanus said:
Kes Arevo said:
RSTurboPaul said:
Silvanus said:
This has just been delivered and I'm really surprised how much I like. It's far better built than the online pics or this photo would have you believe, only disappointment is it didn't come with any instructions for the functions. Biggest surprise is the price. £7.59 including tax and delivery.

I don't understand how it is possible to build, sell and ship something from halfway round the world for under 8 quid!
I bought a Skmei chronograph, and it cost buttons, and certainly looks decent. For the price they are cracking bits of kit.
It's actually got me thinking post purchase whether the price is possible without there being something unpalatable going on somewhere along the line. Guess that topic is for a different thread.
I have also seen such things mentioned with regards to expensive clothing, shoes, tech equipment... lol

Kes Arevo

3,555 posts

37 months

Friday 29th September 2023
quotequote all
RSTurboPaul said:
Kes Arevo said:
Well, got it...

Was a toss up between the standard black, or the RC. The RC just edged it for the little tinge of colour, plus legibility. They really do look stunning in person, remarkable for the price.

That is really nice, the black-on-black version is cool but I like to be able to glance at the time, not spend 30 seconds squinting at it to see where the hands are. lol
Pretty much how I felt with them in my hand. The black one is very cool looking, but darker nights, a pain. Quote happy with my choice. Didn't really see any benefit to the BT model.

ZesPak

24,402 posts

194 months

Saturday 30th September 2023
quotequote all
That one looks similar to the one I bought my father as a present, but it looks like this one has light blue indices instead of white? Or is it a trick of the light?

Kes Arevo

3,555 posts

37 months

Saturday 30th September 2023
quotequote all
ZesPak said:
That one looks similar to the one I bought my father as a present, but it looks like this one has light blue indices instead of white? Or is it a trick of the light?
It's part of the Teal and Brown collection. Their pic doesn't really do it justice.

https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-teal-and-brown-s...

Barchettaman

6,252 posts

130 months

Saturday 30th September 2023
quotequote all
Brief opera update.

We’re half way through a run of shows here at English National Opera: Britten’s Peter Grimes. It’s one of the best pieces in the repertoire, a fun evening, an uplifting tale of child death, jealousy, mental illness, lynching, drug addiction, prostitution and mass community hypocrisy.

I play the sympathetic sea captain Balstrode, who has recently lost an arm (this isn’t normally the case).



The view from the orchestra pit up into the auditorium:



And the pit



It’s a pretty big orchestra.

Lots of the London theatres have little wing space, but the Coliseum isn’t bad. The sets for Iolanthe are stacked up here, ready for rehearsals on Monday.



It goes up quite a way into the fly tower:




Productions of grimes generally mean lots of rubber fish and this is no exception.



So there you go. Come and watch it if you can, it’s one of the best shows I’ve ever done.

Bobberoo

Original Poster:

38,072 posts

96 months

Saturday 30th September 2023
quotequote all
You always make me smile when you are dressed for your parts, you always look so happy!!!

C G

830 posts

188 months

Saturday 30th September 2023
quotequote all


My latest AliExpress purchase. Really pleased with this for only £34.

GWC

4,415 posts

193 months

Sunday 1st October 2023
quotequote all
Got this LF-20W for £30 delivered from Watches & Crystals, I'd never heard of them before but I ordered on Friday it arrived today. It's quite a cool little watch, just need to work out how it all functions.




monthou

4,478 posts

48 months

Sunday 1st October 2023
quotequote all
C G said:


My latest AliExpress purchase. Really pleased with this for only £34.
I really like that.
Don't suppose you have a link? I did check aliexpress but prices look to have shifted a bit.

Kes Arevo

3,555 posts

37 months

Sunday 1st October 2023
quotequote all
GWC said:
Got this LF-20W for £30 delivered from Watches & Crystals, I'd never heard of them before but I ordered on Friday it arrived today. It's quite a cool little watch, just need to work out how it all functions.



Definitely a retro classic.

And weirdly it popped up in my YouTube recommendations.



Edited by Kes Arevo on Sunday 1st October 17:45

C G

830 posts

188 months

Sunday 1st October 2023
quotequote all
monthou said:
C G said:


My latest AliExpress purchase. Really pleased with this for only £34.
I really like that.
Don't suppose you have a link? I did check aliexpress but prices look to have shifted a bit.
Link

Looks like the deal has finished now but still brilliant value!

monthou

4,478 posts

48 months

Sunday 1st October 2023
quotequote all
C G said:
Link

Looks like the deal has finished now but still brilliant value!
Thanks!

Ordered! beer

C G

830 posts

188 months

Sunday 1st October 2023
quotequote all
monthou said:
Thanks!

Ordered! beer
I hope you like it! Mine took 8 days to arrive which is not too bad.

monthou

4,478 posts

48 months

Sunday 1st October 2023
quotequote all
C G said:
monthou said:
Thanks!

Ordered! beer
I hope you like it! Mine took 8 days to arrive which is not too bad.
I assume things will take forever from aliexpress - I'm never disappointed and it's a nice surprise when something arrives. smile
Especially as I've usually forgotten what I ordered.

Bob_Defly

3,611 posts

229 months

Tuesday 3rd October 2023
quotequote all
RSTurboPaul said:
Silvanus said:
Kes Arevo said:
RSTurboPaul said:
Silvanus said:
This has just been delivered and I'm really surprised how much I like. It's far better built than the online pics or this photo would have you believe, only disappointment is it didn't come with any instructions for the functions. Biggest surprise is the price. £7.59 including tax and delivery.

I don't understand how it is possible to build, sell and ship something from halfway round the world for under 8 quid!
I bought a Skmei chronograph, and it cost buttons, and certainly looks decent. For the price they are cracking bits of kit.
It's actually got me thinking post purchase whether the price is possible without there being something unpalatable going on somewhere along the line. Guess that topic is for a different thread.
I have also seen such things mentioned with regards to expensive clothing, shoes, tech equipment... lol
LOL, when I mentioned that I got accused of ranting! Of course there is child labour, slavery, unrestricted factory pollution etc. And yes it affects lots of industries, but most larger brands have at least some supply chain tracing in place to protect their brand.

jonny996

2,602 posts

215 months

Tuesday 3rd October 2023
quotequote all
To save me wasting my time looking and comparing, can I ask the knowledgeable on here.
Who & where are doing the current best homage to the Submariner none date at the moment

ZesPak

24,402 posts

194 months

Tuesday 3rd October 2023
quotequote all
jonny996 said:
To save me wasting my time looking and comparing, can I ask the knowledgeable on here.
Who & where are doing the current best homage to the Submariner none date at the moment
I would say Invicta does a great job with the Pro Diver, but considering the Steeldive SD1954 is around the same price (~100gbp), I'd say go for the steeldive. At that price point, it really stands on its own.

https://www.steeldiveuk.com/product-page/steeldive...



I recently bought two of their watches and I'm thoroughly impressed.