HMS Queen Elizabeth

Author
Discussion

Mojocvh

16,837 posts

210 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
davepoth said:
jimmyjimjim said:
doogz said:
This is the UK government you're talking about. Shoot now, ask questions later laugh

You're right, that would be the sensible approach, but it's not what we're hearing.
I thought it was more "never resolve a difficult issue today if you can push it off to another parliament when it might be some other parties problem".
You missed "...unless leaving it till later would be quite sensible, in which case deciding immediately is the thing to do." off the end of that.

All of the UK defence shipbuilding industry would be a nice present for Scotland, wouldn't it?
And the problem with that is?

Godalmighty83

417 posts

202 months

Thursday 28th June 2012
quotequote all
That if Scotland becomes independent they will be left with a lot of big yards surrounded by unemployed people and England will have pretty much no infrastructure for big projects requiring several years wasted in retooling, training and developing the yards back up.

db

619 posts

117 months

Thursday 28th June 2012
quotequote all
Scotland won't become indepandant wink

Simpo Two

70,338 posts

213 months

Thursday 28th June 2012
quotequote all
Or Scotland can make the ships and sell them to England. They need the employment and we need the ships. So whether two countries or one, I see little difference.

Godalmighty83

417 posts

202 months

Friday 29th June 2012
quotequote all
Simpo Two said:
Or Scotland can make the ships and sell them to England. They need the employment and we need the ships. So whether two countries or one, I see little difference.
In that scenario England will be paying for the ship at 'retail' price and the dole money for the several thousand workers who would have been building them on the English coast, a hell of a price hike over building them yourself.


Simpo Two

70,338 posts

213 months

Friday 29th June 2012
quotequote all
Ah, well if we can build them in England I don't see the problem. I didn't think we had the capability.

rhinochopig

17,932 posts

146 months

Friday 29th June 2012
quotequote all
In theory should she not be called HMS QE3? biggrin

Simpo Two

70,338 posts

213 months

Friday 29th June 2012
quotequote all
rhinochopig said:
In theory should she not be called HMS QE3? biggrin
It will awkward if, before the launch, the monarch is King Charles III...

Seight_Returns

1,270 posts

149 months

Friday 29th June 2012
quotequote all
Not sure why - I imagine KCIII would consider having the new CVF named after his late Mum a fitting tribute, I certainly would.

rhinochopig

17,932 posts

146 months

Friday 29th June 2012
quotequote all
doogz said:
rhinochopig said:
In theory should she not be called HMS QE3? biggrin
Why? I'm not aware of any other HMS QE2?
Well the QE2 did belong to her Maj so technically it is an HMS biggrin

rhinochopig

17,932 posts

146 months

Friday 29th June 2012
quotequote all
doogz said:
rhinochopig said:
Well the QE2 did belong to her Maj so technically it is an HMS biggrin
Pretty sure Cunard Line owned RMS QE2 smile
You see I would be thinking of Britannia now wouldn't I hehe

Dunce cap for one please - extra tall, with a nice shiny gold D.



Simpo Two

70,338 posts

213 months

Friday 29th June 2012
quotequote all
Hey, I could call my boat 'Brittania' - and then tell people I'm off on a cruise on Brittania...

roryfizz

143 posts

129 months

Monday 2nd July 2012
quotequote all
http://www.theengineer.co.uk/home/blog/guest-blog/...

A bit more news on progress, cant believe I saw that block in Portsmouth just over a year ago. It looked bloody huge then in the huge hangar they were being constructed in. I cant wait for more progress and hope to serve on these mighty ships in a few years time!

dirkgently

2,102 posts

179 months

Monday 2nd July 2012
quotequote all
roryfizz said:
I cant wait for more progress and hope to serve on these mighty ships in a few years time!
The cynic in me says it will probably be as a delivery crew to India.

roryfizz

143 posts

129 months

Monday 2nd July 2012
quotequote all
dirkgently said:
The cynic in me says it will probably be as a delivery crew to India.
Well if my RN application doesn't come off and I join the Merchant Fleet instead it could still be possible tongue out

ninja-lewis

2,926 posts

138 months

Wednesday 4th July 2012
quotequote all
SB03 has now been skidded up to CB02 and the are now being welded together to form the front half of Queen Elizabeth. Looking even bigger now!



http://www.flickr.com/photos/qeclasscarriers/

ninja-lewis

2,926 posts

138 months

Wednesday 4th July 2012
quotequote all
doogz said:
SB03? CB03?

Randomly, Queen Elizabeth drove past here at lunch time. Pretty random, walking back from Greggs, and she drives by!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkY391dEYQ&feature=related

Basically because of the way the ships are been constructed around the country, each has been split into 5 "super blocks". The main super blocks in the middle (SB02, SB03 and SB04) comprise of: a Lower Block (LB), which is the hull up to the level of the hanger deck (so the biggest sections); a couple of Central Blocks (CB), which add the flightdeck onto the top of the Lower Blocks; and several Sponsons (SP) along the side. These blocks are constructed at various yards around the UK and then brought to Rosyth to be put together. Once LB03 is mated to it's central blocks and sponsons, it's then known as Super Block 3.

Super Block 3 was recently floated out into the basin to temporarily make way for Lower Block 2 (as seen in the above video), the second section of the ship from the bow and therefore in front of Super Block 3. Once Lower Block 2 was ready they skidded, using winches, Super Block 3 up to it from the back of the dock and together they form the front half of the ship.

The next section, Lower Block 4 is due at Rosyth in the autumn (although it appears they're ahead of schedule now) while Lower Block 5 is already at Rosyth waiting to be craned in.

Simpo Two

70,338 posts

213 months

Wednesday 4th July 2012
quotequote all
Love the way it has 'Aircraft Carrier' written on it in big letters. Saves having to ask 'Where's the aircraft carrier?' on arrival... spin

rhinochopig

17,932 posts

146 months

Wednesday 4th July 2012
quotequote all
ninja-lewis said:
doogz said:
SB03? CB03?

Randomly, Queen Elizabeth drove past here at lunch time. Pretty random, walking back from Greggs, and she drives by!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkY391dEYQ&feature=related

Basically because of the way the ships are been constructed around the country, each has been split into 5 "super blocks". The main super blocks in the middle (SB02, SB03 and SB04) comprise of: a Lower Block (LB), which is the hull up to the level of the hanger deck (so the biggest sections); a couple of Central Blocks (CB), which add the flightdeck onto the top of the Lower Blocks; and several Sponsons (SP) along the side. These blocks are constructed at various yards around the UK and then brought to Rosyth to be put together. Once LB03 is mated to it's central blocks and sponsons, it's then known as Super Block 3.

Super Block 3 was recently floated out into the basin to temporarily make way for Lower Block 2 (as seen in the above video), the second section of the ship from the bow and therefore in front of Super Block 3. Once Lower Block 2 was ready they skidded, using winches, Super Block 3 up to it from the back of the dock and together they form the front half of the ship.

The next section, Lower Block 4 is due at Rosyth in the autumn (although it appears they're ahead of schedule now) while Lower Block 5 is already at Rosyth waiting to be craned in.
Does QE have a perspex pipe-work / wiring model or is it full CAD? Now those beauties are a work of art.

Seight_Returns

1,270 posts

149 months

Wednesday 4th July 2012
quotequote all
So is it correct that the ships won't be "launched" in the comventional sense of sliding down a slipway - instead the blocks are being assembled in a dry dock and will be floated out when assembly complete ?