Cool things seen on FlightRadar

Cool things seen on FlightRadar

Author
Discussion

Alxxx

106 posts

108 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Munter said:
Internet provision without fixed infrastructure.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53321007
Thank you very much, I had never heard of that.

tonyvid

9,398 posts

207 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
RacingPete said:
gobuddygo said:
Never seen one of these before hoping it turns left and comes over Leeds where i am.

Do a track day at Snetterton on a week day and you get a good chance of seeing one.
I've got one almost overhead at the moment - with it's rotors in the horizontal while going forward rather than looking like massive props, it sounds very different like that as most that pass here are in "prop" mode.

Castrol for a knave

1,988 posts

55 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
tonyvid said:
RacingPete said:
gobuddygo said:
Never seen one of these before hoping it turns left and comes over Leeds where i am.

Do a track day at Snetterton on a week day and you get a good chance of seeing one.
I've got one almost overhead at the moment - with it's rotors in the horizontal while going forward rather than looking like massive props, it sounds very different like that as most that pass here are in "prop" mode.
Amazing looking things aren't they?

We stayed in San Diego a few years back, and our balcony looked onto the naval air base at Coronado - dozens of the things in the air at any time, along with all sorts of stuff from trainers to fast jets and heavy transport, and every helicopter you could think off.

My other half loved it, but then again, she used to go out with an Apache pilot so she likes the Top Gun type...

Arun_D

2,242 posts

159 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
By chance noticed an AN-124 heading in our direction earlier.Took off from Puerto Rico.

Came right over our town, but today's blanket of cloud cover meant I could only hear it. Real shame as I've never seen one before, and a dot at 32,000ft would still count!

Bonus USAF C130 from Mildenhall to the east.


Arun_D

2,242 posts

159 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Boeing E4 over the Gulf of Mexico.






Simultaneously, a U2 doing circuits at Beale AFB


aeropilot

23,747 posts

191 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Arun_D said:
Simultaneously, a U2 doing circuits at Beale AFB

Training or refresher pilot training, as its two seater 2S version.

S11Steve

6,021 posts

148 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Is a NASA 747SP considered cool?

Not something I often see above me here in Sheffield.

Edit to add - It's a flying observatory. That's definitely not common! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratospheric_Observ...



Edited by S11Steve on Thursday 25th February 18:48

aeropilot

23,747 posts

191 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
S11Steve said:
Is a NASA 747SP considered cool?

Not something I often see above me here in Sheffield.

Edit to add - It's a flying observatory. That's definitely not common! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratospheric_Observ...



Edited by S11Steve on Thursday 25th February 18:48
Spotted on here a few times in the past few weeks.

towser44

2,258 posts

79 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
S11Steve said:
Is a NASA 747SP considered cool?

Not something I often see above me here in Sheffield.

Edit to add - It's a flying observatory. That's definitely not common! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratospheric_Observ...



Edited by S11Steve on Thursday 25th February 18:48
Spotted on here a few times in the past few weeks.
It's currently based at Cologne and there are details of all flights done and all those scheduled. Due back over North West England next Thursday

https://www.sofia.usra.edu/science/proposing-and-o...

ben5575

3,914 posts

185 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Any idea what 'Snake' and 'Wolf' are that are around the pennines/york moors at the moment?

ETA what have they all been doing of the NE coast then? Voyager out of Brize, Hercules, Wolf have all been loitering there?

ETA 2 + 2 x Havoc and Chaos

Edited by ben5575 on Thursday 25th February 19:24

towser44

2,258 posts

79 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
ben5575 said:
Any idea what 'Snake' and 'Wolf' are that are around the pennines/york moors at the moment?
Eurofighter typhoons

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=43c791

g7jtk

1,526 posts

118 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
tonyvid said:
I've got one almost overhead at the moment - with it's rotors in the horizontal while going forward rather than looking like massive props, it sounds very different like that as most that pass here are in "prop" mode.
Two passed over Hexham this morning

2fast748

764 posts

159 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
towser44 said:
aeropilot said:
S11Steve said:
Is a NASA 747SP considered cool?

Not something I often see above me here in Sheffield.

Edit to add - It's a flying observatory. That's definitely not common! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratospheric_Observ...



Edited by S11Steve on Thursday 25th February 18:48
Spotted on here a few times in the past few weeks.
It's currently based at Cologne and there are details of all flights done and all those scheduled. Due back over North West England next Thursday

https://www.sofia.usra.edu/science/proposing-and-o...
Last night it was due to fly almost along the south coast but obviously went north instead so it's planned routes don't always become reality. Still love to see.

BrettMRC

1,980 posts

124 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
ben5575 said:
Any idea what 'Snake' and 'Wolf' are that are around the pennines/york moors at the moment?

ETA what have they all been doing of the NE coast then? Voyager out of Brize, Hercules, Wolf have all been loitering there?

ETA 2 + 2 x Havoc and Chaos

Edited by ben5575 on Thursday 25th February 19:24
Havoc & Chaos are usually Hawks.

BFleming

2,773 posts

107 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
Just had a pair of Apaches fly over the house at 625ft, imposing yet impressive sight! Only one shows up on ADSB, but I suppose that's normal for convoy flights.








The Brummie

8,754 posts

151 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
AN124 over Gloucester just now. Perfect view.

K25

3 posts

2 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
Aero L39 - Blackpool to St Athan Major earlier this AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_L-39_Albatros


LukeBrown66

638 posts

10 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
As an aside regarding Apache's was at WEC Silverstone a few years back on a Friday and one came and had a very long look at the venue, hovered, quite low for about half an hour! Tickets please

Chimune

2,749 posts

187 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
g7jtk said:
Two passed over Hexham this morning
Been hearing lots of long grumbling overhead during past few days but nothing on fr and too clouds to see anything.
Just heard it again and clouds parted enough to see these heading south over hexham / a68


lufbramatt

4,460 posts

98 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
BFleming said:
Just had a pair of Apaches fly over the house at 625ft, imposing yet impressive sight! Only one shows up on ADSB, but I suppose that's normal for convoy flights.
Apaches over Rochester flying east-west along the M2 at lunchtime today

ETA same ones, looks like they had a play around the Army training area at Mereworth woods



Edited by lufbramatt on Friday 26th February 13:08