XH558..........

Author
Discussion

MonkeyHanger

9,183 posts

206 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
Interesting to see that TVOC have spruced up their website recently...

I reckon she'll fly soon.

steve y

460 posts

175 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
MikeyT said:
My dad used to take me to Waddington to see these things (all white ones) fly in the mid 70s ...

The earth literally shook. The Phantomns at Coningsby were good, but not quite the same after that.
with all respect Phantoms are shite, for real bang for your buck in a small package try the English Electric Lightning I was based at Wattisham and when they scrambled the whole place shook I never got over watching them mf's hurtle down the runway and then go vertical on reheat!!!! awesome unlike the German licensed Starfighters that had the weirdest engine note you have ever heard made you want to rush over with your can of wd40 and go "there, there" that will make it all betterrolleyesangel

ApexJimi

19,497 posts

207 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
I think I speak for a fair few PH'ers that there is a certain PH'er who I wish could see this frown

Famous Graham

26,553 posts

189 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
spitfire-ian said:
tvoc forum said:
She has done her first high speed taxi this morning 90 kts and had her nose leg waving merrily in the air.
Little bit of work to do for an hour or 2 then final taxi at 120 kts and stream the parachute.
bounce

MikeyT

14,992 posts

235 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
Not knowing anything about the requirements, who says it can fly and what tests does it have to go through to enable it to?

The CAA? Is it like an MOT test only a million times harder?

mybrainhurts

90,262 posts

219 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
Kermit power said:
Yes. I haven't a clue what you're on about, but this is, without a shadow of a doubt, it.
Is...?

Famous Graham

26,553 posts

189 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
MOD Blog - http://www.blogs.mod.uk/ said:
Defence Diary: 17 October 2007

Today 17 October 2007

Media Event at Copehill Down, to demonstrate simulation equipment used on operations by the Army.

23 Pioneer Regiment return to their base in Bicester from Afghanistan.

Tomorrow 18 October 2007

Defenec Minister Mr Twigg to present medals to Henry Francis who recently had his medals stolen.

Vulcan bomber expected to take off from Bruntingthorpe Airfield today for a test flight.

Mr Twigg launches election registration for Service Personnel.
Edited by Famous Graham on Wednesday 17th October 15:21

Nick P

29,977 posts

215 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
ApexJimi said:
I think I speak for a fair few PH'ers that there is a certain PH'er who I wish could see this frown
yes

cant believe it's been almost 2 years

spitfire-ian

3,408 posts

192 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
Famous Graham said:
MOD Blog - http://www.blogs.mod.uk/ said:
Defence Diary: 17 October 2007

Today 17 October 2007

Media Event at Copehill Down, to demonstrate simulation equipment used on operations by the Army.

23 Pioneer Regiment return to their base in Bicester from Afghanistan.

Tomorrow 18 October 2007

Defenec Minister Mr Twigg to present medals to Henry Francis who recently had his medals stolen.

Vulcan bomber expected to take off from Bruntingthorpe Airfield today for a test flight.

Mr Twigg launches election registration for Service Personnel.
Edited by Famous Graham on Wednesday 17th October 15:21
That is good news bounce

central

16,743 posts

181 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
spitfire-ian said:
Famous Graham said:
MOD Blog - http://www.blogs.mod.uk/ said:
Defence Diary: 17 October 2007

Today 17 October 2007

Media Event at Copehill Down, to demonstrate simulation equipment used on operations by the Army.

23 Pioneer Regiment return to their base in Bicester from Afghanistan.

Tomorrow 18 October 2007

Defenec Minister Mr Twigg to present medals to Henry Francis who recently had his medals stolen.

Vulcan bomber expected to take off from Bruntingthorpe Airfield today for a test flight.

Mr Twigg launches election registration for Service Personnel.
Edited by Famous Graham on Wednesday 17th October 15:21
That is good news bounce
Have another bounce

Eric Mc

114,678 posts

229 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
Looks like the first flight is pretty iminent. Best of luck to them. It's been a long hard road.

Regarding all white Vulcans, with the exception of a couple of B1s held as engine test beds for Concorde and the Tornado, all other Vulcans had been repainted in camouflage colours by the late 1960s. The initial camoufalge colour scheme was gloss dark grey and green uppersurfaces with a gloss white underside. The RAF roundelds were traditional red/white/blue.

In the mid 70s, the colours were matted down and the undersides painted light grey. The roundels had the white elements removed. By the end of the 70s, the grey/green camoulage was applied to both top and bottom of the aircraft.

Andy Zarse

10,851 posts

211 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
Nick P said:
ApexJimi said:
I think I speak for a fair few PH'ers that there is a certain PH'er who I wish could see this frown
yes

cant believe it's been almost 2 years
15 years more like!

lord summerisle

8,065 posts

189 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
Nick P said:
ApexJimi said:
I think I speak for a fair few PH'ers that there is a certain PH'er who I wish could see this frown
yes

cant believe it's been almost 2 years
yesyes

Andy Zarse said:
15 years more like!
confused - are you talking about the vulcan - Jimi is meaning someone else (i think)

Nicol@

3,834 posts

200 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
ApexJimi said:
I think I speak for a fair few PH'ers that there is a certain PH'er who I wish could see this frown
cry

MikeyT

14,992 posts

235 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
Nicol@ said:
ApexJimi said:
I think I speak for a fair few PH'ers that there is a certain PH'er who I wish could see this frown
cry
a) who are we talking about or is it a secret??

b) It must have been the mid to late 60s when me dad used to take me to Waddington then Eric so they were definitely WHITE!

spitfire-ian

3,408 posts

192 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
I think we might be talking about Ian Beech, but I could be wrong.

Mojocvh

Original Poster:

16,837 posts

226 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
Nicol@ said:
ApexJimi said:
I think I speak for a fair few PH'ers that there is a certain PH'er who I wish could see this frown
cry
Aye.

Eric Mc

114,678 posts

229 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
I would love to see XH558 restored in all white "anti-flash" colours. They look even more impressive.

I remeber seeing XA903 and XA900 (both B1s) parked up at Farnborough and Cosford in the 1970s - they had been kept on as test bed aircraft and were eventually scrapped. As far as I know, no whole B1s survived anywhere, which is a great shame.

Andy Zarse

10,851 posts

211 months

Wednesday 17th October 2007
quotequote all
Eric Mc said:
I would love to see XH558 restored in all white "anti-flash" colours. They look even more impressive.

I remeber seeing XA903 and XA900 (both B1s) parked up at Farnborough and Cosford in the 1970s - they had been kept on as test bed aircraft and were eventually scrapped. As far as I know, no whole B1s survived anywhere, which is a great shame.
Crikey, I remember seeing that at Cosford in the seventies when we used to go to the gliding club with a friend of my dad. I've wondered for years what the big white bird of my childhood memories of Cosford was, thank you Eric!