super yachts 60million+

super yachts 60million+

Author
Discussion

titly

Original Poster:

93 posts

130 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
Recently I’ve taken a big interested in super yachts, the ultimate status symbol for the mega rich, and most celebrities can afford to own one.

Just a few questions if anyone know,

How much does it cost to run one of these, i.e. to top up with diesel , and how much is parking etc..
How does insurance work, because your the owner and not the driver (captain)

I am just very curious in how a super yachts runs.






tuffer

8,671 posts

225 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
My mate had a 60ft yacht that he used for Tuna fishing in the Caribbean, he reckoned he went through about $40k worth of fuel in a 3 day dash once.....so multiply that by a LOT.

RVVUNM

1,873 posts

167 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
The second one down is possibly the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Rum Runner

2,338 posts

175 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
On Average 15% running cost per year of the purchase price for powerboat, sail = 10%
Give you a clue last one I ran burnt through 75 gal per hour running hard, but a lot of time down to 20 pottering. That was twin 700hp and at the time I was buying fuel in the US Virgin Islands at $1.27 a U.S gal.
Another a spend time on did 200 gal per hr running flat twin 2000hp,that was in the Med so expensive.
Dockage is a killer depending on where you go. Crew say 10 on 150ft -170ft. Skippers wages alone will be $1000 / 1000 Euro per ft length of boat. Chef half to three quarters of that and the chief engineer the same.
If the boats charter and have a good season they can claw a good amount back. A week on a 180 ft a have on the books is $265,000 a week to charter.
Shamelss plug http://www.toplineyachtcharters.com/motoryacht.htm

louiebaby

9,576 posts

149 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
RVVUNM said:
The second one down is possibly the ugliest thing I've ever seen.
I disagree. I'm never going to own one of these though, so it's not really an issue!

Rum Runner

2,338 posts

175 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
Base is around the 1 Mil per Meter. Can swing a good bit either way and running costs as said 15% per annum of purchase price.

10JH

2,070 posts

152 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
I read a an article about one of the Sultan of Brunei's superyachts and how his crew all ended up quitting after 3 or 4 years.

The reason was, that it had never left the dock and he had never visited it!

mackie1

7,954 posts

191 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
A few years ago it cost $200k + to fill the tanks of Octopus.



~$200m to build apparently and still my fave mega yacht. You could do some proper exploring with that.

It makes Amevi/Alfa Nero look like toys.


Edited by mackie1 on Tuesday 2nd February 11:42

titly

Original Poster:

93 posts

130 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
mackie1 said:
A few years ago it cost $200k + to fill the tanks of Octopus.



~$200m to build apparently and still my fave mega yacht. You could do some proper exploring with that.

It makes Amevi/Alfa Nero look like toys.


Edited by mackie1 on Tuesday 2nd February 11:42
yes its nice and very big, but why have 2 helicopters and 2 submarine on a yacht

FourWheelDrift

80,856 posts

242 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
1 helicopter for guests, 1 helicopter for staff and a submarine each for Paul & Bill to escape if James Bond gets on board and tries to stop Microsoft's evil plan for world domination and blows up the boat in the process.

Evil plans and scale model of evil plan situated on D deck, just behind the day lounge.

mickrick

3,574 posts

131 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
Lone Ranger would take 250,000 US gallons, and burn 24 ton a day if we run her at 16knts.
I run a 87 ft plastic fantastic now, (and go home every evening) with 2 X 2000hp MTU's, she burns about 90 ltrs an hour each at 12-13knts, but at 24 knts she's burning 400 ltrs an hour each.
10,000 ltrs can be gone in 3 days of fast cruising.
Then we have to spend 3 hours filling the thing up.

After a refit in Miami, we filled Lone Ranger up with 24 artic trucks, two at a time, and it took 24 hours.

You don't need a lot of money. You need too much money!

mackie1

7,954 posts

191 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
That's like 1000 tons of fuel!? Bloody hell!

PS. I think I saw Amevi in Puerto Banus a couple of years ago. Nice looking boat, although Alfa Nero looks a bit nicer IMO.

Edited by mackie1 on Tuesday 2nd February 18:16

Rum Runner

2,338 posts

175 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
mickrick said:
Lone Ranger would take 250,000 US gallons, and burn 24 ton a day if we run her at 16knts.
I run a 87 ft plastic fantastic now, (and go home every evening) with 2 X 2000hp MTU's, she burns about 90 ltrs an hour each at 12-13knts, but at 24 knts she's burning 400 ltrs an hour each.
10,000 ltrs can be gone in 3 days of fast cruising.
Then we have to spend 3 hours filling the thing up.

After a refit in Miami, we filled Lone Ranger up with 24 artic trucks, two at a time, and it took 24 hours.

You don't need a lot of money. You need too much money!
mickrick What plastic fanatastic you on now ?. I took a Ferretti 88 through the Med the other year with 2x2000hp MTU ( Actually the picture is first one on the boat pic thread). Not sure what yours is like but running flat at 35 knots it would 100 gal a side per hr. 9000 lt fill up from memory.

The old Horizon 70 a ran had oversize tanks it took over 3000 gal, but it used sit very low when full, with swim platform slamming in any ripple on anchor.

mickrick

3,574 posts

131 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
RR, she's a Johnson 87. 98 ton all up.

Mike Rouse

463 posts

128 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
What boat do you guys work on?

Mike

sassthathoopie

807 posts

173 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
My old one was much easier on the wallet! Tank was 1900 litres and at a cruising speed of 9 knots we'd do 18 litres/hour if I remember correctly.

Was £3.1 million new, annual running costs were about £300k after everything. Offshore limited company owned by a trust, operated as a commercial charter vessel. Charter = €24k/week + food, fuel and berthing. Average of 9 weeks 3rd party charter per year, and 14 weeks with the boss.

(2006 Oyster 72 - see profile)

okgo

29,528 posts

156 months

Tuesday 2nd February 2010
quotequote all
OMG at the cots!!!

And asfor fuel consumption, check out this cruise ship, its actually not the biggest the biggest one is MUCH bigger than this, but I can't find the stat..

"It consumes approximately 28,000 pounds (12,800 kg) of fuel per hour[9], enough to refill a 13 US gallons (49 l; 11 imp gal) tank in a car at one tank a week for over six years"

funster

174 posts

133 months

Wednesday 3rd February 2010
quotequote all
Paddy_N_Murphy said:
sassthathoopie said:
(2006 Oyster 72 - see profile)
THAT ^^^^ is Luuuuurvely.
There's one in Southampton at the moment, an absolutely great all rounder yacht with sensational looks - v envious!

mybrainhurts

89,684 posts

213 months

Wednesday 3rd February 2010
quotequote all
RVVUNM said:
The second one down is possibly the ugliest thing I've ever seen.
You forgot ---->

Edited by mybrainhurts on Wednesday 3rd February 00:33

hidetheelephants

16,213 posts

151 months

Wednesday 3rd February 2010
quotequote all
Rum Runner said:
On Average 15% running cost per year of the purchase price for powerboat, sail = 10%
Give you a clue last one I ran burnt through 75 gal per hour running hard, but a lot of time down to 20 pottering. That was twin 700hp and at the time I was buying fuel in the US Virgin Islands at $1.27 a U.S gal.
Another a spend time on did 200 gal per hr running flat twin 2000hp,that was in the Med so expensive.
Dockage is a killer depending on where you go. Crew say 10 on 150ft -170ft. Skippers wages alone will be $1000 / 1000 Euro per ft length of boat. Chef half to three quarters of that and the chief engineer the same.
If the boats charter and have a good season they can claw a good amount back. A week on a 180 ft a have on the books is $265,000 a week to charter.
Shamelss plug http://www.toplineyachtcharters.com/motoryacht.htm
Need any engineers?[grovel][grovel] I'm about to sit my Class 4 CoC exam and will be looking for gainful employment.