Amazingly cool and interesting plane footage

Amazingly cool and interesting plane footage

Author
Discussion

Eric Mc

114,242 posts

227 months

Thursday 16th July 2020
quotequote all
Is there much of the airfield left?

slartibartfast

3,869 posts

163 months

Thursday 16th July 2020
quotequote all
Eric Mc said:
Is there much of the airfield left?
Quite a lot of runway although it now has chicken sheds on it. The perry track around it is also quite intact although not as wide as it was.
googlemaps will show you how much is left

Baron Greenback

5,080 posts

112 months

Saturday 18th July 2020
quotequote all
https://youtu.be/EXgTrpPU9Rk?t=155

Good walkabout A-10, still one of my fav aircraft!

Condi

11,208 posts

133 months

Wednesday 22nd July 2020
quotequote all
Another A10 documentary, about their work recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hKgloWQHd8


Baron Greenback

5,080 posts

112 months

Sunday 26th July 2020
quotequote all
This week does of aviation has some crazy helicopter flying for movies!
https://youtu.be/fdeXXdSynwA

AlexC1981

4,162 posts

179 months

Sunday 26th July 2020
quotequote all
Baron Greenback said:
This week does of aviation has some crazy helicopter flying for movies!
https://youtu.be/fdeXXdSynwA
The low pass aeroplane at 1:23 eek The way it rolls and climbs looks mad.

FourWheelDrift

81,655 posts

246 months

Tuesday 11th August 2020
quotequote all
It's getting so close for the ultimate commuter transport - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHk13Xa8dqI

Polite M135 driver

1,732 posts

46 months

Wednesday 19th August 2020
quotequote all
quite amazing the flying going on here in close proximity to the crowd https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/129601655651...


Eric Mc

114,242 posts

227 months

Friday 21st August 2020
quotequote all
Looks like a Shuttleworth Trust display. To be honest, their modern displays are not much different.

It's a great place to visit. I went to one of their shows last year and it was lovely.

Eric Mc

114,242 posts

227 months

Friday 21st August 2020
quotequote all
And one observation I will make, although the commentary by Fyffe -Robertson is quite good and informative, some of the images shown are not tied in with what he is actually saying. For example, whilst he is right about in describing the attributes of World War 1 aircraft, the pictures they are showing with that commentary are of G-AFTA, which is not a World War 1 aeroplane. It is, in fact, a Hawker Tomtit, built in 1931 - so a much later design.

I'm glad to say that G-AFTA is still with the Shuttleworth Collection and does fly from time to time -


AER

1,114 posts

232 months

Sunday 23rd August 2020
quotequote all
slight Me109 and Hurricane content...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy-_tqv5QkI&t=...

yellowjack

13,950 posts

128 months

Sunday 23rd August 2020
quotequote all
AER said:
slight Me109 and Hurricane content...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy-_tqv5QkI&t=...
LF363 is still flying. With the RAF BBMF...

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/hurricane/
https://www.memorialflightclub.com/blog/hurricane-...

It hasn't always been in tip-top shape...

...as it suffered a crash and fire in 1991.

But looks pretty good in it's new guise as a Mk IIa Hurricane wearing Battle Of Britain era markings...


I'm guessing that those Hurricane scenes were shot at Biggin Hill, as the film was made in the year the RAF Historic Flight was inaugurated at Biggin Hill. Either that or it was filmed a Hawkers, where the aircraft was refitted before going into service with the Flight.

I don't think there were that many Hurricanes knocking about in 1957, so I think LF363 appears twice, as when the chap servicing the Hurricane walks away, you can see it again, sat in the hangar he walks toward when he sets off to find 'the manager'...

yellowjack

13,950 posts

128 months

Monday 24th August 2020
quotequote all
AER said:
slight Me109 and Hurricane content...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy-_tqv5QkI&t=...
Thanks for the link by the way. I watched the whole movie this morning (waiting in for the gas engineer to arrive). It's a decent and often overlooked 'war' movie, and it used to get shown regularly back in the days of three and four channel TV. I'd not seen it in donkeys' years so it was entertaining to watch it again.

Some movie company artistic licence, but the bulk of the scenes were at least largely based on the truth, although there were a few omissions. Lt Franz von Werra escaped, returned to Berlin, but was presumed killed when his aircraft crashed into the sea off the Netherlands only a few short months after he returned to service.

With his lion cub...

...and, I guess, a colourised image...


And a link to an image of that postcard, sent from New York to Sqn Ldr Boniface, the duty officer at RAF Hucknall, after his escape from captivity in Canada... https://imgur.com/r/ww2/rduF5g2

Baron Greenback

5,080 posts

112 months

Monday 24th August 2020
quotequote all
https://youtu.be/0_EdgP57l1Q

This Smoke Curtain was Used During WWII to Hide Naval Ships During Battle. Check out this smoke screen that was used during World War II. It was dispensed from aircraft to create vertical smoke curtains and was made of Titanium tetrachloride (FM)

FourWheelDrift

81,655 posts

246 months

Monday 24th August 2020
quotequote all
The ship is the USS New Jersey, sunk as a target in 1923. The aircraft will probably be Martin NBS-1 biplane bombers that also undertook the attack.

Polite M135 driver

1,732 posts

46 months

Tuesday 25th August 2020
quotequote all
Baron Greenback said:
https://youtu.be/0_EdgP57l1Q

This Smoke Curtain was Used During WWII to Hide Naval Ships During Battle. Check out this smoke screen that was used during World War II. It was dispensed from aircraft to create vertical smoke curtains and was made of Titanium tetrachloride (FM)
TiCl4 is crazy stuff, I have opened a bottle in an extremely dry (<1 ppm H2O) atmosphere and it still fumed! (the fumes are from its reaction with water to make TiO2 and HCl. You might know TiO2 as an extremely common white pigment (used e.g. in toothpaste, paint, etc.).

Baron Greenback

5,080 posts

112 months

Tuesday 25th August 2020
quotequote all
Polite M135 driver said:
Baron Greenback said:
https://youtu.be/0_EdgP57l1Q

This Smoke Curtain was Used During WWII to Hide Naval Ships During Battle. Check out this smoke screen that was used during World War II. It was dispensed from aircraft to create vertical smoke curtains and was made of Titanium tetrachloride (FM)
TiCl4 is crazy stuff, I have opened a bottle in an extremely dry (<1 ppm H2O) atmosphere and it still fumed! (the fumes are from its reaction with water to make TiO2 and HCl. You might know TiO2 as an extremely common white pigment (used e.g. in toothpaste, paint, etc.).
Aye its the aqueous solution of hydrogen chloride easy to form hydrochloric acid! WWII was not up on H&S then!

Polite M135 driver

1,732 posts

46 months

Tuesday 25th August 2020
quotequote all
modern smoke grenades use TiCl4 and SiCl4 I think.

shedweller

259 posts

73 months

Thursday 27th August 2020
quotequote all
747 super tanker doing its firefighting thing in California this week...... I imagine it's an interesting piloting job compared to the usual stuff.

The camera and image stabilization on camera doing the filming is something to behold too. ..

https://youtu.be/qXYYi2R94Es

RDMcG

16,185 posts

169 months

Thursday 27th August 2020
quotequote all
shedweller said:
747 super tanker doing its firefighting thing in California this week...... I imagine it's an interesting piloting job compared to the usual stuff.

The camera and image stabilization on camera doing the filming is something to behold too. ..

https://youtu.be/qXYYi2R94Es
quite hypnotic