Burgers & fries prices

Author
Discussion

craigjm

14,705 posts

177 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
C70R said:
I'd suggest getting out of Cambridgeshire a bit more. Or talking to more people who've worked in the industry (like me). wink
I’d suggest we get the thread back on track and just accept that everyone on here is a bellend at times hehe

Bacon Is Proof

5,707 posts

208 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
C70R said:
"I know two chefs who run a food truck, so that means you need to listen to me."

Michelin starred chefs cooking rare/med-rare burgers (found with 10s on Google):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15fKgDUBKT0&ab...
https://www.gordonramsay.com/gr/recipes/gr10millio...

I'd suggest getting out of Cambridgeshire a bit more. Or talking to more people who've worked in the industry (like me). wink
WT absolute F has that got to do with anything?
I never said that you can't cook a burger rare, and even if I had neither a video of a foreign restaurant with their own in house butchers nor a video of a chef cooking a burger that may or may not be rare, it's never revealed, and isn't being sold to the public, prove anything other than the square root of F all.

What is your damage? confused

And for future reference, Mondays and Tuesdays are my best times for utterly pointless arguments, Wednesdays I have commitments. hehe

DodgyGeezer

31,039 posts

167 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
Roman Rhodes said:
Agree re brioche. Just why? Vanilla sponge next?
apparently brioche lasts longer than 'normal' bread therefore less wastage (and you can charge more for it too as it's 'fancy' hehe )

Trustmeimadoctor

8,089 posts

132 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
DodgyGeezer said:
Roman Rhodes said:
Agree re brioche. Just why? Vanilla sponge next?
lasts longer than 'normal' bread
always makes me think of red dwarf and dog milk


ChevronB19

3,632 posts

140 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
Bacon Is Proof said:
I can only speak from experience, Cambridgeshire is awash with top quality food trucks. Even the market has over a dozen independent food stalls all selling really tasty fast food a whole 30sec walk from McDonald's.
Except for the rotisserie chicken.
That place is whack. hehe
When I lived in Cambridge, there were only 2 vans - the van of life and the van of death. Only available after chucking out time. There was Gardenias though (not a van).

Bacon Is Proof

5,707 posts

208 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
ChevronB19 said:
When I lived in Cambridge, there were only 2 vans - the van of life and the van of death. Only available after chucking out time. There was Gardenias though (not a van).
Van of life and Gardi's still going strong.
Van of Death now Uncle Frank's, and still risky. It has a loyalty card which is great in theory but I'm not sure anyone has managed to make use of it in practice! hehe
Gardi's mixed kebab still one of the best.
You can't move in Cambridge these days for illegal Just Eat electric mopeds and corrugated Citroen vans.

scoey1001

568 posts

58 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
Not sure if it's been mentioned but this burger place near me is the best 'restaurant' in all of Kent going by its TripAdvisor reviews;

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g6...

Really got to check it out to see what all the fuss is about.

C70R

10,618 posts

81 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
I'd be wary of Tripadvisor. A greasy spoon in Battersea was once the top-rated London restaurant on there. laugh

21TonyK

10,071 posts

186 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
scoey1001 said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned but this burger place near me is the best 'restaurant' in all of Kent going by its TripAdvisor reviews;

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g6...

Really got to check it out to see what all the fuss is about.
Depends what you like...


theplayingmantis

2,339 posts

59 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
Bacon Is Proof said:
theplayingmantis said:
What were they doing in the Michelin kitchens, washing up?!?!
No they were cooking better food than you ever will.
I see they had a pop up at Mark Poynton's pub recently. Another celebrated chef who headed the excellent Michelin starred Alimentum in Cambridge.
His smoked eel starter and gin and tonic dessert remain in my top ten favourite ever dishes.
smile
Good job cooking isnt my profession then! You made a ridiculous statement about rare burgers. Others including me pointed out that plenty of places, especially the better end of the market, offer that.

Credit for the googling and name dropping to try and come across as knowledgeable though!


hehe

theplayingmantis

2,339 posts

59 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
C70R said:
I'd be wary of Tripadvisor. A greasy spoon in Battersea was once the top-rated London restaurant on there. laugh
Yep complete nonsense often grotty takeaways are top ranked. Its the archytypal problem with socila media - giving a voice to those who shouldnt have one! Hence all the heathen masses rating a takeaway above top gastropub for example.

Anyone who takes seripus heed of TripAdvisor views to eat from is open to dissapointment!

ecsrobin

14,472 posts

142 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
21TonyK said:
scoey1001 said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned but this burger place near me is the best 'restaurant' in all of Kent going by its TripAdvisor reviews;

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g6...

Really got to check it out to see what all the fuss is about.
Depends what you like...

That is heaven right there. Drinks have room for improvement.

Trustmeimadoctor

8,089 posts

132 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
Not had a viennetta since about 92

Trustmeimadoctor

8,089 posts

132 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
theplayingmantis said:
C70R said:
I'd be wary of Tripadvisor. A greasy spoon in Battersea was once the top-rated London restaurant on there. laugh
Yep complete nonsense often grotty takeaways are top ranked. Its the archytypal problem with socila media - giving a voice to those who shouldnt have one! Hence all the heathen masses rating a takeaway above top gastropub for example.

Anyone who takes seripus heed of TripAdvisor views to eat from is open to dissapointment!
I don't understand how 5 5star reviews is better than 500 4.5 star reviews but on TA it seems to be

DodgyGeezer

31,039 posts

167 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
theplayingmantis said:
Anyone who takes seripus heed of TripAdvisor views to eat from is open to dissapointment!
It's better than nothing though

craigjm

14,705 posts

177 months

Wednesday 13th April
quotequote all
DodgyGeezer said:
theplayingmantis said:
Anyone who takes seripus heed of TripAdvisor views to eat from is open to dissapointment!
It's better than nothing though
Yes it is as long as you qualify the reviews. Any 5 star or one star reviews from people with one review should be discounted. Check some of the positive reviews and look at where else they eat to get an idea of their standards

Bacon Is Proof

5,707 posts

208 months

Friday 15th April
quotequote all
theplayingmantis said:
Good job cooking isnt my profession then! You made a ridiculous statement about rare burgers. Others including me pointed out that plenty of places, especially the better end of the market, offer that.

Credit for the googling and name dropping to try and come across as knowledgeable though!


hehe
Ah, I get it now; you have simply failed to understand what I wrote, although it was hardly cryptic.
Maybe you are less of a Berk after all. smile

I don't need to Google Poynton. Even if he wasn't a very well known chef, which he is, his old restaurant is two minutes away and his current venture is in the pub I used to live in and run. party

omniflow

2,057 posts

128 months

Friday 15th April
quotequote all
Trying to bring the thread back on track - is anyone else on here a fan of Bleeker?

Their double bacon cheeseburger - cooked "medium" is a thing of awesome tastiness - just fabulous. Everything a burger should be.

There's one in Westfield Shepherds Bush, and there's one near Bank. I think there are several others, but not sure where.

I think it's my favourite "mainstream" burger - only beaten when you get into places like Hawksmoor, Cut etc.

Dr Jekyll

22,679 posts

238 months

Friday 15th April
quotequote all
A cafe at Booker airfield near Marlow offers 'Japanese style' burgers and chips. Not sure what's Japanese about them but they are very good, and you get a plate and knife and fork. I think the price for the burger and chips is about the same as Five Guys charge for burger chips and fizzy pop so far better value.

craigjm

14,705 posts

177 months

Friday 15th April
quotequote all
omniflow said:
Trying to bring the thread back on track - is anyone else on here a fan of Bleeker?

Their double bacon cheeseburger - cooked "medium" is a thing of awesome tastiness - just fabulous. Everything a burger should be.

There's one in Westfield Shepherds Bush, and there's one near Bank. I think there are several others, but not sure where.

I think it's my favourite "mainstream" burger - only beaten when you get into places like Hawksmoor, Cut etc.
I had a really bad bleeker when they first opened that I could probably have restarted back to life. Haven’t been back since. Maybe I should give it another try