Burgers & fries prices

Author
Discussion

Jobbo

12,998 posts

267 months

Saturday 25th March 2023
quotequote all
TCEvo said:
Interesting. I was looking forward to trying that place next time I'm in Cheltenham - burger sounds a bit disappointing though.
I’ve been to Cheltenham Beefy Boys twice now and thought it was as good as Hereford both times. I was told Murph was in the kitchen the second time (didn’t ask the first time) so you’d expect it to have been good.

I do prefer the smash burgers now though. And I think staying simple with the toppings is the way to go because the meat is good and nicely seasoned.

blue_haddock

3,448 posts

70 months

Saturday 25th March 2023
quotequote all
We went to beefy boys in Shrewsbury as the works Christmas do.

Burger was nice but I could have easily eaten two of them. Fries and sides were average at best.

I also visited five guys recently and like many things the price had jumped a fair chu k since my last time. My regular order used to be about £17 and now it was just over £20.

At over twenty quid for burger, chips and a drink it's now tipped over the point where I won't bother even as a treat anymore.

48k

13,418 posts

151 months

Wednesday 29th March 2023
quotequote all
£20 for a not particularly nice tasting cheeseburger, cajun fries and a vanilla milkshake. The shake was £5.65 and about the size of a can of coke.
Worlds gone mad.




TC7

138 posts

89 months

Wednesday 29th March 2023
quotequote all
48k said:
£20 for a not particularly nice tasting cheeseburger, cajun fries and a vanilla milkshake. The shake was £5.65 and about the size of a can of coke.
Worlds gone mad.



We tried 5 guys in uk for first time on Sunday, previously been to one while in New York.

2 burgers with fries a coke and a milkshake £37!

The fries were so over salted we couldn't finish the cartons let alone the half bag worth they'd thrown in on top.

Safe to say it was our first and last time going there, i was amazed how busy it was considering the extortion they were charging.

hungry_hog

2,341 posts

191 months

Wednesday 29th March 2023
quotequote all
to further the dislike for 5G - burger wrapped in foil FFS. Makes the whole thing watery / sweaty

PastelNata

4,417 posts

203 months

Wednesday 29th March 2023
quotequote all
Best burgers I've ever had in the UK have been from Pubs or restaurants other than the established burger-specific ones. 5 Guys, Byron etc all rubbish in comparison.

I've had great burgers in the USA but none better than in South Africa; they know how to make a burger! Actually, that goes for a steak too.

craigjm

18,166 posts

203 months

Thursday 30th March 2023
quotequote all
PastelNata said:
I've had great burgers in the USA but none better than in South Africa; they know how to make a burger! Actually, that goes for a steak too.
South African beef has a very different fat profile to European and US steak

hungry_hog

2,341 posts

191 months

Thursday 30th March 2023
quotequote all
South Africa one of the most meat oriented countries in the world

As my old mate used to say - "for the vegetarians there's some chicken"

C70R

17,596 posts

107 months

Thursday 30th March 2023
quotequote all
hungry_hog said:
South Africa one of the most meat oriented countries in the world

As my old mate used to say - "for the vegetarians there's some chicken"
Couldn't agree more. I used to visit a lot for work, and got taken to some colleagues' braais. The sheer quantity of meat is staggering, and in general they really know how to BBQ!

vaud

51,167 posts

158 months

Thursday 30th March 2023
quotequote all
TC7 said:
The fries were so over salted we couldn't finish the cartons let alone the half bag worth they'd thrown in on top.
You could always, you, know, complain and get a replacement without so much salt?

98elise

27,182 posts

164 months

Thursday 30th March 2023
quotequote all
PastelNata said:
Best burgers I've ever had in the UK have been from Pubs or restaurants other than the established burger-specific ones. 5 Guys, Byron etc all rubbish in comparison.
Agreed.

I had a pub lunch with my brother a few weeks back. We didn't choose the pub for any specific reason, it was just near his house.

The burger was excellent, and the chips were really crispy and came with a lovely tomato chutney.

One of the best burger meals I've ever had, and will definately go back.



Edited by 98elise on Thursday 30th March 12:34

craigjm

18,166 posts

203 months

Thursday 30th March 2023
quotequote all
C70R said:
hungry_hog said:
South Africa one of the most meat oriented countries in the world

As my old mate used to say - "for the vegetarians there's some chicken"
Couldn't agree more. I used to visit a lot for work, and got taken to some colleagues' braais. The sheer quantity of meat is staggering, and in general they really know how to BBQ!
And they would shoot you for calling it a BBQ

Meat is relatively cheap in South Africa when compared to the cost of vegetables and other groceries. You can get a kilo of fillet for about £7 but a bag of potatoes that in the uk would be £2 are the equivalent of £5.

Most SA families will braai once or twice a week and at the same time cook the meat for the rest of the week they will eat cold or put into other dishes which often explains some of the scale

theplayingmantis

3,954 posts

85 months

Thursday 27th July 2023
quotequote all
Had an almost famous last night...I won't say how many as will be shouted at, but I am a gourmand although my diet has me down to 13.5 stone...

It's was pretty good 7.5/10 would have again. Sides were a Bridge to far and mostly went uneaten.

Few weeks ago had another smashburger in MK on way back from the awful british masters golf and again was good. Way better than 5 guys and others of the 'premium ilk.

generationx

7,056 posts

108 months

Thursday 22nd February
quotequote all
Holy thread resurrection!

We went to Five Guys in London on Tuesday, inconceivably my first time on the chain.

The burgers were definitely a good step up from the usual suspects, but a cheeseburger, a bacon cheeseburger and one small fries:

£27.15! Twenty seven feckin’ quid!!!

Yeah, that may be the last time.

Trustmeimadoctor

12,866 posts

158 months

Thursday 22nd February
quotequote all
Other day I paid £62 for some barrel tater tots 2 burgers with fries 1 beer and 1 milkshake

98elise

27,182 posts

164 months

Friday 23rd February
quotequote all
hungry_hog said:
to further the dislike for 5G - burger wrapped in foil FFS. Makes the whole thing watery / sweaty
I was totally underwhelmed when we tried 5 guys for the first (and last) time. I don't get the hype.

hungry_hog

2,341 posts

191 months

Friday 23rd February
quotequote all
98elise said:
I was totally underwhelmed when we tried 5 guys for the first (and last) time. I don't get the hype.
There's usually a bunch of "insta" people outside when I go past the Baker St one on the bus. I would expect by the time they have taken their pics the burger is colder than Neptune.

It's better value to get burger and fries from a pub, similar price, nicer surroundings, bigger portion.

ecsrobin

17,483 posts

168 months

Friday 23rd February
quotequote all
generationx said:
Holy thread resurrection!

We went to Five Guys in London on Tuesday, inconceivably my first time on the chain.

The burgers were definitely a good step up from the usual suspects, but a cheeseburger, a bacon cheeseburger and one small fries:

£27.15! Twenty seven feckin’ quid!!!

Yeah, that may be the last time.
I've visited once because work were paying, it was good but I'd never spend my money.

Motorway services Burger King this week was £12 for a meal which I thought was steep even for services.

Luke.

11,068 posts

253 months

Friday 23rd February
quotequote all
hungry_hog said:
There's usually a bunch of "insta" people outside when I go past the Baker St one on the bus. I would expect by the time they have taken their pics the burger is colder than Neptune.

It's better value to get burger and fries from a pub, similar price, nicer surroundings, bigger portion.
Pub burgers are generally ste. Big, fat slabs of beef that are far too thick and dense.

bodhi

10,945 posts

232 months

Friday 23rd February
quotequote all
Luke. said:
hungry_hog said:
There's usually a bunch of "insta" people outside when I go past the Baker St one on the bus. I would expect by the time they have taken their pics the burger is colder than Neptune.

It's better value to get burger and fries from a pub, similar price, nicer surroundings, bigger portion.
Pub burgers are generally ste. Big, fat slabs of beef that are far too thick and dense.
Agreed - never had a pub burger that gets close to a 5 Guys - and I've tried a fair few.

In fact most are sub Big Mac level....