Photo of your dinner (Vol 3)

Photo of your dinner (Vol 3)

Author
Discussion

Big Al.

Original Poster:

65,313 posts

221 months

Tuesday 7th August 2018
quotequote all

Burwood

16,758 posts

209 months

Tuesday 7th August 2018
quotequote all
.

cbmotorsport

3,062 posts

81 months

Tuesday 7th August 2018
quotequote all
:-)

amusingduck

9,026 posts

99 months

Tuesday 7th August 2018
quotequote all
You guys know there's a "Watch" button right?

You don't need to post to have it show up in "My Stuff" biggrin

thebraketester

10,781 posts

101 months

Tuesday 7th August 2018
quotequote all

dickymint

19,054 posts

221 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all
nosuchuser asked about Sous Vide in a steam oven.

Really easy on our new Neff. Just vacuum bag your meat with any rubs/stuff then put in oven and select the Sous Vide setting from the menu..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om2IoNwGnL4

escargot

17,064 posts

180 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all
.

nosuchuser

799 posts

179 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all
dickymint said:
nosuchuser asked about Sous Vide in a steam oven.

Really easy on our new Neff. Just vacuum bag your meat with any rubs/stuff then put in oven and select the Sous Vide setting from the menu..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om2IoNwGnL4
Omg. I've a full steam Neff coming later this month. Will be trying this out!

dickymint

19,054 posts

221 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all
nosuchuser said:
dickymint said:
nosuchuser asked about Sous Vide in a steam oven.

Really easy on our new Neff. Just vacuum bag your meat with any rubs/stuff then put in oven and select the Sous Vide setting from the menu..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om2IoNwGnL4
Omg. I've a full steam Neff coming later this month. Will be trying this out!
Cool you’ll love it.

Don’t make the mistake I did when buying a vacuum sealer as some do not like dealing with sauces/liquids - gets a tad messy!!

Think this one looks suitable but do the research.

Vacuum Packer is a godsend for storing and extending shelf life etc. Enjoy.

Adenauer

17,897 posts

199 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all
Can someone please explain this to me as I am obviously an idiot.

What's to stop me sealing some meat in a ziplock bag, sticking it in a hot pan of water for x minutes, and then frying it on a high heat to get the 'finish'.

Is that not basically suis vide is?

21TonyK

7,886 posts

172 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all
Adenauer said:
Can someone please explain this to me as I am obviously an idiot.

What's to stop me sealing some meat in a ziplock bag, sticking it in a hot pan of water for x minutes, and then frying it on a high heat to get the 'finish'.

Is that not basically suis vide is?
In basic terms yes. The technical bit is how hot is your water and for how many minutes?

The important bit of sous vide is keeping a very precise consistent temperature.

cbmotorsport

3,062 posts

81 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all
Adenauer said:
Can someone please explain this to me as I am obviously an idiot.

What's to stop me sealing some meat in a ziplock bag, sticking it in a hot pan of water for x minutes, and then frying it on a high heat to get the 'finish'.

Is that not basically suis vide is?
With Sous vide, you cannot go beyond the set temperature, your steak will never get hotter internally than your water. If you set your water for 50c, your steak will be rare, and 50c in the middle if in there long enough. Once it reaches 50c, it'll sit there at 50c.

A sous vide tool/machine makes controlling the water temp really easy. Doing it in a pan would be bloody hard to maintain a constant set temp.

It's used in a lot of restaurants because a steak (for example) can be held at 50c for a reasonable amount of time. So you can just pull one out of the water bath, colour it and serve it, knowing it's perfectly cooked in the middle.

There's a lot of things that are at their optimum when cooked to a certain temperature, even fruit and veg...it's an easy way to get them there without over or under cooking them.

I've used steak as an example, but we use it for all sorts for some dishes - veg, fruits, meats, some fish.




Edited by cbmotorsport on Wednesday 8th August 12:36

Convert

3,698 posts

181 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all

Adenauer

17,897 posts

199 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all
Thanks Tony, and cb, I'm starting to look at it as a challenge biggrin

dickymint

19,054 posts

221 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all
Adenauer said:
Thanks Tony, and cb, I'm starting to look at it as a challenge biggrin
Also there’s a lot of debate about health issues using ‘any old bag’ for cooking in.

Adenauer

17,897 posts

199 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all
dickymint said:
Also there’s a lot of debate about health issues using ‘any old bag’ for cooking in.
I'll use the wife, not some cheap import thumbup

tedmus

1,455 posts

98 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all
Nisbets sell vac bag on a roll in a box with a cutter attached, very handy. 2 different widths.

peter tdci

1,054 posts

113 months

Wednesday 8th August 2018
quotequote all
Adenauer said:
Can someone please explain this to me as I am obviously an idiot.

What's to stop me sealing some meat in a ziplock bag, sticking it in a hot pan of water for x minutes, and then frying it on a high heat to get the 'finish'.

Is that not basically suis vide is?
The benefit of vacuum sealing (or getting as much air as possible out of your ziplock bag) is that there isn't an air gap between the bag and what ever you are cooking - so there's better heat transfer from the water into the meat.

Tickle

3,962 posts

167 months

Sunday 12th August 2018
quotequote all
Brisket and mustard pie.


thebraketester

10,781 posts

101 months

Sunday 12th August 2018
quotequote all
Wow that looks incredible