Photo of your dinner (Vol 3)

Photo of your dinner (Vol 3)

Author
Discussion

Moonshiner

195 posts

52 months

Tuesday 11th September 2018
quotequote all
Have wanted to try an American style prime rib for a while, looks great yum

Blown2CV

24,618 posts

166 months

Tuesday 11th September 2018
quotequote all
Moonshiner said:
Have wanted to try an American style prime rib for a while, looks great yum
sorry I hope this doesn't offend the poster but i think that looks absolutely disgusting, and I love rare red meat. I do however realise it is a matter of cultural tastes. In the UK we generally ensure that fatty cuts (and especially very fatty ones) are more medium rare than rare, and that care is taken into rendering the fat and ensuring that there is caramelisation rather than just colouring of the outside. I just think that the combination of very very rare very very fatty cut plus very watery looking gravy is the opposite of what i would want, and makes me feel a bit queasy. Each to their own.

ChemicalChaos

9,171 posts

123 months

Tuesday 11th September 2018
quotequote all
fttm said:
Looks good CC , tip for the future matey - you DO NOT eat ribs with cutlery wink
I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like getting their hands and face covered in sauce and grease, so I always eat rubs, burgers and drumsticks with cutlery boxedin
Besides, those slabs were so huge and so tender that some sort of cutlery intervention would have been needed to reduce them to a size thay wouldn't fall to bits when picked up! hehe


Blown2CV said:
sorry I hope this doesn't offend the poster but i think that looks absolutely disgusting, and I love rare red meat. I do however realise it is a matter of cultural tastes. In the UK we generally ensure that fatty cuts (and especially very fatty ones) are more medium rare than rare, and that care is taken into rendering the fat and ensuring that there is caramelisation rather than just colouring of the outside. I just think that the combination of very very rare very very fatty cut plus very watery looking gravy is the opposite of what i would want, and makes me feel a bit queasy. Each to their own.
It was a lot better done than I looks - I don't like rare, bloody steaks so this was pink to brown all the way through. I do agree on the fat rendering though, but that bit was easily trimmed off.
Au Jus =/= gravy!! nono

Moonshiner

195 posts

52 months

Tuesday 11th September 2018
quotequote all
Aside from the glob of fat I’d definitely devour the lot, heck, chuck the fat in a scorching pan of butter and I’d of ate that too! Its not like it’s raw, uniformly pink all the way through, absolutely worth trying, if only the once! thumbup

cbmotorsport

3,062 posts

81 months

Tuesday 11th September 2018
quotequote all
The whole joint will have been cooked in either a very low oven (c.50c) or a water bath, then coloured in a pan. Unfortunately, they didn't give it enough heat/colour, so the chunk of fat didn't render (and should have been removed for this type of cooking anyway) and it looks a bit flacid.

escargot

17,064 posts

180 months

Tuesday 11th September 2018
quotequote all
Au jus is not beef dripping. It's unthickened gravy made from resting juices and stock.

Gandahar

9,600 posts

91 months

Tuesday 11th September 2018
quotequote all
Some hot rice

4 types of chilli grown in the garden




Top slim Cayenne, then a mix of Thai Demon, stumpies and hybrids, bottom is two Paper Lanterns, one ripe and one not ripe.

I had some rice with normal bell peppers left in the fridge and so did a stir fry with them and added some soy sauce for salt, not too much, it can overwhelm, even with chillis.

Excellent with a very cold cider.



Liking chillies I enjoyed this. Eating the raw would have been too much, but cooking produced a hot result that still allowed you to taste the rest of the dish, but with an after heat. Which is what chilli cooking should be about. Not just blowing the back of your cranium off. It is a tricky balance due to the ingredient and peoples expectations and how being consumed and when and why.

Like cooking any simple food, it is is hard to get perfect. The perfect chip, fluffiest rice, the best done steak, crispiest batter and the ideal soft boiled egg. All simple, all devilishly hard to get right easily every time.

Right, off to get some Frosties in Jersey Milk..... the perfect pudding biggrin

Edited by Gandahar on Tuesday 11th September 23:35

Du1point8

21,225 posts

155 months

Wednesday 12th September 2018
quotequote all
lets see if this works.

Sous vide duck breast and veg.



Closer


The pink shot

cbmotorsport

3,062 posts

81 months

Thursday 13th September 2018
quotequote all
Autumn is a fantastic time for food. Here's a roast squash, blackberry, feta cheese and walnut salad, with a balckberry and citrus dressing. Sweet, salty, sour and fresh!


Tickle

3,962 posts

167 months

Sunday 16th September 2018
quotequote all
First time at open-fire cooking; well since I was a nipper anyway, so nothing new with what I cooked, just how I did it.

Over the last couple of weeks I made a keyhole fire pit at the bottom of the garden after doing a bit of research on open-fire pits. Quite a nice way to spend an Autumn afternoon, sat round a fire with a few drinks. Hopefully we will be having a few more of these.









Finally, my daughters request for desert!



I could't find a dedicated thread on camp/open-fire cooking so I'm posting this in here. If anyone has any input on this type of cooking, I will start a new thread. Would like to know what other do on these, both technique and recipes thumbup

miniman

21,689 posts

225 months

Sunday 16th September 2018
quotequote all
Poached stuffed chicken (sausage meat, hazlenuts, pine nuts, sage, thyme, garlic), roasted cauliflower & parsnips, green beans, mustard creme fraiche.


ambuletz

9,181 posts

144 months

Sunday 16th September 2018
quotequote all
The photos of that firepit look great. At first I thought to myself perhaps there was postprocessing selective colouring being done but no. I guesst that firepit really is pure shades of black/white/grey,

Tickle

3,962 posts

167 months

Sunday 16th September 2018
quotequote all
ambuletz said:
The photos of that firepit look great. At first I thought to myself perhaps there was postprocessing selective colouring being done but no. I guesst that firepit really is pure shades of black/white/grey,
Thanks. Yes, it was very black and grey towards the end. This morning it's like a brown puddle laugh

Any sort of selective colouring are way beyond my talents. Washing a familys worth of smokey clothes are not though according to my wife.

6th Gear

3,525 posts

157 months

Sunday 16th September 2018
quotequote all


Low Carb theme at the moment.
Halloumi Cheeseburger with Dijon Mustard in Lettuce Wrap.

Isdriver

26 posts

36 months

Sunday 16th September 2018
quotequote all
Late Sunday dinner, meat vile had to use pies lol. Shameful but filled a hole

Burwood

16,762 posts

209 months

Sunday 16th September 2018
quotequote all


Last night ‘pizza night’. It was very good. Havnt purchased a pizza in a long time, hit since making my own

eskidavies

4,127 posts

122 months

Sunday 16th September 2018
quotequote all
6th Gear said:


Low Carb theme at the moment.
Halloumi Cheeseburger with Dijon Mustard in Lettuce Wrap.
I’m attempting a low/lowish carb theme also ,I will be replicating this one night this week looks the doggies

cbmotorsport

3,062 posts

81 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
Tickle said:
First time at open-fire cooking; well since I was a nipper anyway, so nothing new with what I cooked, just how I did it.

Over the last couple of weeks I made a keyhole fire pit at the bottom of the garden after doing a bit of research on open-fire pits. Quite a nice way to spend an Autumn afternoon, sat round a fire with a few drinks. Hopefully we will be having a few more of these.









Finally, my daughters request for desert!



I could't find a dedicated thread on camp/open-fire cooking so I'm posting this in here. If anyone has any input on this type of cooking, I will start a new thread. Would like to know what other do on these, both technique and recipes thumbup
Fantastic. If you've not already seen them you should watch the Almazan Kitchen videos for a bit of outdoor cooking. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVVAnxQ2YMC_qlc7Q...

Tickle

3,962 posts

167 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
cbmotorsport said:
Fantastic. If you've not already seen them you should watch the Almazan Kitchen videos for a bit of outdoor cooking. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVVAnxQ2YMC_qlc7Q...
Thanks, I ended up watching a few YouTube videos of open-fire cooking yesterday, some decent stuff. Thanks for the link too, I shall take a look later. Keen to try some bread making on it, I also seen a nice video of a ring of poussin chickens with veg in the center covered in herbs/spices.

An Asado cross with a lamb is the goal next summer for a big family meal.

ZedLeg

2,549 posts

71 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
eskidavies said:
6th Gear said:


Low Carb theme at the moment.
Halloumi Cheeseburger with Dijon Mustard in Lettuce Wrap.
I’m attempting a low/lowish carb theme also ,I will be replicating this one night this week looks the doggies
I've had lettuce wraps with korean bbq and it works really well. I'm not convinced about putting a whole cheeseburger in one though.