A Ford EV I'd love to buy...

Author
Discussion

rix

Original Poster:

2,533 posts

167 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
...but can't!

I've a bit of a yank fetish admittedly, but why oh why can I not get my hands on one of these, ideally in RHD. Even at a 1:1 conversion, at a start price of £40k, surely these would be an appealing anti-Tesla purchase.

https://youtu.be/Bq5EwFRab6Q

Awaiting the too big (valid), too irrelevant (not valid) comments...

For those shy of a YouTube link, I'm talking a leccy F-150 Lightening - move over Rivian!

Edited by rix on Friday 13th May 23:11

georgeyboy12345

1,604 posts

12 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I think EVs are surprisingly well suited to this kind of application, since you can whack a huge battery in them with a lower relative weight penalty compared to smaller vehicles. Plenty of power and torque for towing and shifting things about, etc. As long as you don't need to cover massive distances then they are perfect. Kind of like how electric double decker buses are superior to their diesel counterparts in big cities.

Cold

12,807 posts

67 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Everyone needs a hobby and some say that line dancing is a hobby.

mac96

2,620 posts

120 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I love that, looks really practical. And it's an EV which costs very little more than the ICE equivalent which must be a good omen for the future even if this truck isn't what you want.

raspy

703 posts

71 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
rix said:
...but can't!

I've a bit of a yank fetish admittedly, but why oh why can I not get my hands on one of these, ideally in RHD. Even at a 1:1 conversion, at a start price of £40k, surely these would be an appealing anti-Tesla purchase.

https://youtu.be/Bq5EwFRab6Q

Awaiting the too big (valid), too irrelevant (not valid) comments...

For those shy of a YouTube link, I'm talking a leccy F-150 Lightening - move over Rivian!

Edited by rix on Friday 13th May 23:11
You can buy one if you want. There are firms in the UK that import new F-150s from the US and I've seen websites for European importers showing they are going to source the electric F-150 Lightning this year for customers.

P. ONeill

157 posts

29 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
raspy said:
You can buy one if you want. There are firms in the UK that import new F-150s from the US and I've seen websites for European importers showing they are going to source the electric F-150 Lightning this year for customers.
Anyone in particular that you would recommend?

rix

Original Poster:

2,533 posts

167 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
P. ONeill said:
Anyone in particular that you would recommend?
I was thinking the same, although I'm not sure how up for it your typical importer would be with an EV - whether there are any differences with charging provisions etc. Would be curious to see what these would land at in the UK but would likely be prohibitive for me

gmaz

3,890 posts

187 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
rix said:
I was thinking the same, although I'm not sure how up for it your typical importer would be with an EV - whether there are any differences with charging provisions etc. Would be curious to see what these would land at in the UK but would likely be prohibitive for me
The US uses type 1 sockets, the rest of the world uses Type 2/CCS

Phunk

1,815 posts

148 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
I'd rather have this electric Ford pickup.


mac96

2,620 posts

120 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
So would I, but it looks like you can't buy one!

Phunk

1,815 posts

148 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
mac96 said:
So would I, but it looks like you can't buy one!
Well, you could make one yourself. Ford will sell you the motor…

raspy

703 posts

71 months

Monday 16th May
quotequote all
P. ONeill said:
Anyone in particular that you would recommend?
I haven't used any but I've found a very experienced importer of F-150s in the UK and another in Europe, who are already saying they will have electric F-150s from the US at some point

https://www.boatwright.co.uk/new-ford-f-150/

https://www.usa-car-import.com/en/showroom/ford-f1...

gangzoom

4,704 posts

192 months

Monday 16th May
quotequote all
raspy said:
I haven't used any but I've found a very experienced importer of F-150s in the UK and another in Europe, who are already saying they will have electric F-150s from the US at some point
They have to guarantee DC rapid charging will work on imported cars though. US made Teslas CANNOT DC rapid charge in Europe at all I don't think!!!

A 'work' vehicle like a F150 that cannot DC rapid charger would literally be like a chocolate tea pot.

ZesPak

23,600 posts

173 months

Monday 16th May
quotequote all
gangzoom said:
A 'work' vehicle like a F150 that cannot DC rapid charger would literally be like a chocolate tea pot.
I might have grown up in the wrong business, when we worked with contractors they all ruined their diesel vans as nearly none of them ever drove more than 20 miles (!!)/day.

So while I agree that an expensive vehicle like that would have to have rapid charging, I don't agree at all with the chocolate tea pot analogy. This thing has a battery that would last most contractors I know well over a week.

RobbyJ

1,213 posts

199 months

Monday 16th May
quotequote all
Clive Sutton do a lot of high end US cars into the UK.

The US CCS plug is different to the European one though, unless someone makes a high spec adapter or conversion you wouldn't be able to charge it other than a granny charger.


budgie smuggler

4,547 posts

136 months

Monday 16th May
quotequote all
rix said:
...but can't!

I've a bit of a yank fetish admittedly, but why oh why can I not get my hands on one of these, ideally in RHD. Even at a 1:1 conversion, at a start price of £40k, surely these would be an appealing anti-Tesla purchase.

https://youtu.be/Bq5EwFRab6Q

Awaiting the too big (valid), too irrelevant (not valid) comments...

For those shy of a YouTube link, I'm talking a leccy F-150 Lightening - move over Rivian!

Edited by rix on Friday 13th May 23:11
Almost didn't watch because of how annoying the presenter's voice/accent was but glad I did as it looks like ford have done a great job there.

ZesPak

23,600 posts

173 months

Monday 16th May
quotequote all
budgie smuggler said:
Almost didn't watch because of how annoying the presenter's voice/accent was but glad I did as it looks like ford have done a great job there.
Doug DeMuro does have a bit of an OTT character.
I like some of his videos as he goes into great details about some idiosyncrasies on some fantastic and some niche cars, if you're into that.
Eg:
- The seat cushions in a Carrera GT are velcro swappable to change your seat height.
- The button to manually raise the spoiler in an LFA is behind the drivers' seat.hehe

budgie smuggler

4,547 posts

136 months

Monday 16th May
quotequote all
ZesPak said:
Doug DeMuro does have a bit of an OTT character.
I like some of his videos as he goes into great details about some idiosyncrasies on some fantastic and some niche cars, if you're into that.
Eg:
- The seat cushions in a Carrera GT are velcro swappable to change your seat height.
- The button to manually raise the spoiler in an LFA is behind the drivers' seat.hehe
Yes yes I almost commented on that, I liked that he went into great detail about many "nice little touches" the car had, e.g. the 12v jump start port, manual release for the frunk, step ladder etc.

Phunk

1,815 posts

148 months

Monday 16th May
quotequote all
RobbyJ said:
Clive Sutton do a lot of high end US cars into the UK.

The US CCS plug is different to the European one though, unless someone makes a high spec adapter or conversion you wouldn't be able to charge it other than a granny charger.

You can buy an adapter

https://chargingshop.eu/product/ccs-1-to-ccs-2-fas...

RobbyJ

1,213 posts

199 months

Tuesday 17th May
quotequote all
Well found, that's a serious bit of kit. Reminds me of my Tesla Chademo adapter (that I've never used).