2020 UK Targa/Road Rallying Thread

2020 UK Targa/Road Rallying Thread

Author
Discussion

l354uge

Original Poster:

1,814 posts

75 months

Friday 3rd January
quotequote all
New thread for the new year.

Currently putting together a list of what im doing this year, I've already screwed up by booking a holiday during the rally i wanted to do most (Ysywyth) curse

But I have got myself an interclub and will be entering the Cotswold Targa Championship, aswell as hopefully doing some others around the country.

First rally will be a 12 car to shakedown the AX, but that depends on when i get it all back together and roadworthy!

What is everyones plans for this year?




velocemitch

2,872 posts

174 months

Saturday 4th January
quotequote all
I think I will be sticking with the same basic format as last year.
Our club 12 car/scatter championship continues on the 15th which will be my first event, then Ryemoor Trophy, Ross Traders, John Robson and North Yorkshire Classic.
That would bring us to April, when I’m CoC on our clubs Jubilee Historic.
After that most of the HRCR stuff and hopefully some HERO events.

thepawbroon

746 posts

138 months

Monday 6th January
quotequote all
I'm part of the organising team for the Mull Hire - Mull Classic Rally - 14th March 2020.

It's a dual permit Targa Road Rally and Historic Road Rally - tests and regularities - test routes are mainly in the forests on Mull. The format is similar to the October 2018 Beatson's Mull Targa Rally.

There will also be a dinner / ceilidh dance afterwards.

www.facebook.com/mullclassicrally

We are trying to re-establish a second motorsport event on the Isle of Mull, to complement the Beatson's Building Supplies Mull Rally (8th to 11th October).


FactoryBacked

188 posts

186 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
I've got an entry in for The Bagger, The Primrose and Bath Festival so a good month or so ahead. Also planning to do the local 12 cars this year too.

Got a few jobs to do on the car this year to get it how I want it so might miss some events over the summer and to get it ready for winter.

FactoryBacked

188 posts

186 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
First 12 car of the year last night, got round, gave the car a good shakedown for the Bagger next weekend and learnt a lot thanks to an excellent navigator.

Local knowledge of the lanes in South Devon was key and I never saw which way the other crews went with.

My set of worn out ditch finders did not help but I've just been to pick up a stack of AO35s and MAXXIS R19s for the Bagger, Primrose and Bath Festival so hoping that gives a bit more confidence on the slippery stuff.

velocemitch

2,872 posts

174 months

Sunday 26th January
quotequote all
First two events of the season done, poor results so far!.

An IDMC Scatter where I got the route totally wrong and wasted most of the time crawling around behind traffic on a A road.

Last night was the Ryemoor Trophy Rally, a cracking route right in the heart of territory I know well........ broke an engine mount on a white a third of the way through and had to retire and get the trailer to get it home!.

Oh well... Ross Traders next weekend in a Nissan Sunny... !

l354uge

Original Poster:

1,814 posts

75 months

Sunday 26th January
quotequote all
FactoryBacked said:
My set of worn out ditch finders did not help but I've just been to pick up a stack of AO35s and MAXXIS R19s for the Bagger, Primrose and Bath Festival
I didn't know tyres like that were legal for the festival?

FactoryBacked

188 posts

186 months

Sunday 26th January
quotequote all
l354uge said:
FactoryBacked said:
My set of worn out ditch finders did not help but I've just been to pick up a stack of AO35s and MAXXIS R19s for the Bagger, Primrose and Bath Festival
I didn't know tyres like that were legal for the festival?
The regs say "tyres appearing on the Motorsport UK Tyre List 5 will NOT be permitted", which is super chunky cross-country tyres.

I believe the sections that aren't at Castle Combe are usually rough and muddy so some decent puncture resistance and grip seemed like a good idea.

l354uge

Original Poster:

1,814 posts

75 months

Monday 27th January
quotequote all
FactoryBacked said:
l354uge said:
FactoryBacked said:
My set of worn out ditch finders did not help but I've just been to pick up a stack of AO35s and MAXXIS R19s for the Bagger, Primrose and Bath Festival
I didn't know tyres like that were legal for the festival?
The regs say "tyres appearing on the Motorsport UK Tyre List 5 will NOT be permitted", which is super chunky cross-country tyres.

I believe the sections that aren't at Castle Combe are usually rough and muddy so some decent puncture resistance and grip seemed like a good idea.
I must've been looking at tyre list 6 then, it was a while ago, I've been waiting to buy tyres as organisers in my championship added a load of asterisks by the tyres I wanted to use in last year's regs saying "might be banned next year" looks like they will be, which is a shame as they're cheaper and easier to find than the other 'legal' m+s tyres.

I will try and find some 14" gravel tyres then, thanks for alerting me!

FactoryBacked

188 posts

186 months

Monday 27th January
quotequote all
l354uge said:
FactoryBacked said:
l354uge said:
FactoryBacked said:
My set of worn out ditch finders did not help but I've just been to pick up a stack of AO35s and MAXXIS R19s for the Bagger, Primrose and Bath Festival
I didn't know tyres like that were legal for the festival?
The regs say "tyres appearing on the Motorsport UK Tyre List 5 will NOT be permitted", which is super chunky cross-country tyres.

I believe the sections that aren't at Castle Combe are usually rough and muddy so some decent puncture resistance and grip seemed like a good idea.
I must've been looking at tyre list 6 then, it was a while ago, I've been waiting to buy tyres as organisers in my championship added a load of asterisks by the tyres I wanted to use in last year's regs saying "might be banned next year" looks like they will be, which is a shame as they're cheaper and easier to find than the other 'legal' m+s tyres.

I will try and find some 14" gravel tyres then, thanks for alerting me!
No worries. Sounds similar to my thought process. Used Sarek Miva Alaska tyres last year at £30 a corner but they got outlawed this year. Now seems to be £80+ per tyre as the only real options. Might mean I don't do some events as I don't want to spend that to rip the sidewalls out of them within a mile or two.

Down here in the South West we have a couple of decent 12 cars every month so probably going to get my fix on those and the usual road rallies this year.

thepawbroon

746 posts

138 months

Friday 31st January
quotequote all
Latest production.......


  • **
This is the moment you've all been waiting for - we are very pleased to publish the Supplementary Regulations for the 2020 Mull Hire - Mull Classic Rally. Please follow this link, the link for the entry form will be published next Friday.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11udiGeGYmHoFqwfdX...

  • **

velocemitch

2,872 posts

174 months

Sunday 2nd February
quotequote all
velocemitch said:
First two events of the season done, poor results so far!.

An IDMC Scatter where I got the route totally wrong and wasted most of the time crawling around behind traffic on a A road.

Last night was the Ryemoor Trophy Rally, a cracking route right in the heart of territory I know well........ broke an engine mount on a white a third of the way through and had to retire and get the trailer to get it home!.

Oh well... Ross Traders next weekend in a Nissan Sunny... !
Well three events in and still nothing to show for it.
The Ross was shaping up to be a cracking event, some of the longest most intense tests I’ve ever done. Based on the Caerwent military base in South Wales. One of them was five miles long!.

Caerwents famous curbs must have bitten us as the rear off side wheel became deranged and blew two tyres in quick succession. Turns out it was pointing outwards at about 5 degrees and the tyre was catching the inner wing. Had to limp back To Ross on Wye with the wheel on backwards!.

Car was a Cherry not a Sunny.... all the same to me!.


FactoryBacked

188 posts

186 months

Sunday 2nd February
quotequote all
Sounds like the way 2019 ended for me, sure it will turn around for you. So frustrating when things don't go your way though.

The summer Targa at Caerwent looks like it could be interesting.

I managed to finish the Bagger which I am pretty pleased with. We were leading the novices at the first petrol halt but it just got more and more icy and unpredictable so I backed off for a finish. Had to cut a fair bit of the route, couldn't even get up some hills due to the ice, but then the event was won with over an hours worth of penalties.

I have an entry in for thr Primrose in Devon this weekend but no navigator and I'm really struggling to find someone. So if anyone fancies it, or you know anyone who might, let me know! No contribution required other than turning up with the maps and pointing me in the right direction.

PaulV

237 posts

180 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
A bit short notice however I am now doing the Primrose as navigator. I drove on this last year and we had a good run.

Sitting in the left seat is my normal place, so should be fun although it does look like it will be rather wet.

FactoryBacked

188 posts

186 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
PaulV said:
A bit short notice however I am now doing the Primrose as navigator. I drove on this last year and we had a good run.

Sitting in the left seat is my normal place, so should be fun although it does look like it will be rather wet.
I think that is with me! Very much appreciate you stepping in at such short notice! Much prefer rain and mud to the sheet ice of the Bagger!

nickc59

29 posts

30 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
Farnborough DMC ,Bramley Targa on March 8th. Entries open midday Saturday 8th Feb.

https://fdmc.org.uk/news

thepawbroon

746 posts

138 months

Thursday 6th February
quotequote all
nickc59 said:
Farnborough DMC ,Bramley Targa on March 8th. Entries open midday Saturday 8th Feb.

https://fdmc.org.uk/news
Brilliant event, won my class last year smile hopefully I will get an entry this year.

velocemitch

2,872 posts

174 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
velocemitch said:
velocemitch said:
First two events of the season done, poor results so far!.

An IDMC Scatter where I got the route totally wrong and wasted most of the time crawling around behind traffic on a A road.

Last night was the Ryemoor Trophy Rally, a cracking route right in the heart of territory I know well........ broke an engine mount on a white a third of the way through and had to retire and get the trailer to get it home!.

Oh well... Ross Traders next weekend in a Nissan Sunny... !
Well three events in and still nothing to show for it.
The Ross was shaping up to be a cracking event, some of the longest most intense tests I’ve ever done. Based on the Caerwent military base in South Wales. One of them was five miles long!.

Caerwents famous curbs must have bitten us as the rear off side wheel became deranged and blew two tyres in quick succession. Turns out it was pointing outwards at about 5 degrees and the tyre was catching the inner wing. Had to limp back To Ross on Wye with the wheel on backwards!.

Car was a Cherry not a Sunny.... all the same to me!.
For events three DNF!.
Ilkley 12 car last night, put the rear shocker through the top of the turret. Probably damaged on the Ryemoor. Got three days to fix it before the John Robson this Saturday night!.
Not been a good year so far

df76

2,275 posts

232 months

Saturday 22nd February
quotequote all
Has anyone got an idiots guide to targa road rallying? What car / preparations would you need, and what are the typical stages through the day?

Had a look at the Bath festival regs and the safety gear looks more onerous than road going speed regs.

velocemitch

2,872 posts

174 months

Saturday 22nd February
quotequote all
The Bath festival is one of the very few which insist on safety gear. The blue book doesn’t make anything mandatory for road rallies or Targa, a standard car ( fitting with the car rules) and ordinary clothing is fine.

The closest I can think of for a description of a Targa is the ‘sticky’ about rules on the Targa Rally Facebook group. You would certainly find what you need there.

Bear in mind Targa events can vary from a glorified single venue Autotest, to what almost amounts to a mini stage rally. All run under the same permit.