Ahhhh! Can I sprint without towing eye?

Ahhhh! Can I sprint without towing eye?

Author
Discussion

Duke Caboom

Original Poster:

1,796 posts

166 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
I've just noticed that I need towing eyes on my standard class car.

I have a sprint this weekend.

Will I get told to get one next time or not allowed to compete?

The car's not with me so I don'[t even know if I have a screw in one in the car!

Galveston

628 posts

166 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
Don't worry.

Chances are nobody will notice (almost no scrutineering at the moment). If they do, they'll just ask you to sort it for next time.

I was at Curborough a couple of weeks ago (and will be on Sunday). A couple of my fellow SC competitors were without rear towing eyes. No problem.

Duke Caboom

Original Poster:

1,796 posts

166 months

Tuesday 27th April
quotequote all
Thanks for the reply.

Sprint went well, had really enjoyed it after a couple of years off. Did get told off!

Will have to decide what to do - there is no screw in towing eye on my car and I don't fancy cutting a hole in the bumper as the internet suggests.

Will probably have a look underneath and then write "tow" pointing at something I've painted a bright colour.

CaterBram

113 posts

142 months

Tuesday 27th April
quotequote all
what car do you have, on most there is somewhere suitable you can bolt a tow strap to.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/trs-tow-strap-4027...

PS was it the Sheffield & Hallam sprint at Curborough you were at, we were the Red/Ali Caterham in 2B

Edited by CaterBram on Tuesday 27th April 20:38

Duke Caboom

Original Poster:

1,796 posts

166 months

Tuesday 27th April
quotequote all
I was at Hethel, Norfolk. Car is a Civic Ep3.

Hope you had a good day too!

df76

3,131 posts

245 months

Wednesday 28th April
quotequote all
I sprint / hillclimb an EP3 as well. Just marked the rear tow point (which is easy to get to) and added a strap to the front. Scrutineer liked that solution at Wiscombe.

Tow strap attached using a race harness backing plate, quite a neat solution.



Edited by df76 on Wednesday 28th April 15:14

Galveston

628 posts

166 months

Wednesday 28th April
quotequote all
Duke Caboom said:
I was at Hethel, Norfolk. Car is a Civic Ep3.
Ahhh... Were you beaten by my mate Neal in the Fieata? He's a very quick driver.

Duke Caboom

Original Poster:

1,796 posts

166 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
Yes. I was third. He won. Very quick! Gap was reducing but still bigger than I'd like.

Duke Caboom

Original Poster:

1,796 posts

166 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
df76 said:
I sprint / hillclimb an EP3 as well. Just marked the rear tow point (which is easy to get to) and added a strap to the front. Scrutineer liked that solution at Wiscombe.

Tow strap attached using a race harness backing plate, quite a neat solution.



Edited by df76 on Wednesday 28th April 15:14
Thanks, very helpful.

df76

3,131 posts

245 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
Galveston said:
Duke Caboom said:
I was at Hethel, Norfolk. Car is a Civic Ep3.
Ahhh... Were you beaten by my mate Neal in the Fieata? He's a very quick driver.
What fiesta and is this in the standard 2l class??

Galveston

628 posts

166 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
df76 said:
What fiesta and is this in the standard 2l class??
Yep, a red Fiesta ST150 running in SC.

Duke Caboom

Original Poster:

1,796 posts

166 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
Fiesta won, then two ep3s, behind them in no particular order: Clio 182s, 200 and 172, S2000 and various others. In other classes we were faster than a Ferrari 360 and about the same as an e90 M3. As always, we don't know how hard the others were trying / how experienced they are.

Edited by Duke Caboom on Thursday 29th April 14:33

Drumroll

2,748 posts

87 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
I take a different view on this, as someone involved as an official at sprints and hillclimbs. It annoys when cars don't have readily accessible towing eyes. Because it wastes us time. In getting the car moved. So ultimately other competitors suffer. It could mean we either don't have time for another run or finish later than planned.

Duke Caboom

Original Poster:

1,796 posts

166 months

Friday 30th April
quotequote all
Drumroll said:
I take a different view on this, as someone involved as an official at sprints and hillclimbs. It annoys when cars don't have readily accessible towing eyes. Because it wastes us time. In getting the car moved. So ultimately other competitors suffer. It could mean we either don't have time for another run or finish later than planned.
I don't think anyone was suggesting not to have towing eyes. I was just asking as I had only just seen the rule change. Ultimately I will get them sorted.