Freeview HD v Freesat?

Author
Discussion

adsk

49 posts

97 months

Sunday 20th January
quotequote all
A left-field choice for either free TV via aerial or satellite is to buy an enigma2 based box. Not for the non-technical minded but once you have them set up they are very flexible/configurable. Biggest downside is the lack of catch-up TV etc Enigma2 being open source doesn't play nicely with closed source/geolocked/copyright protected content.

For satellite with the correct LNB you can record/play up to 8 channels simultaneously and watch around the world on your PC/phone/tablet or on slave boxes. https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/gigablue-uhd-...


Mr Pointy

2,896 posts

97 months

Sunday 20th January
quotequote all
bristolracer said:
Mr Pointy said:
I really wish Topfield would get back into the market with their open menu software that could be modified. Nothing has ever come close to that. I hate the Humax HDR-2000T & the DTR-T4000 was so bad it only lasted two days before I sold it on ebay.
Plenty of satellite boxes with Linux platforms if you are that way inclined
This is a pretty versatile box

http://www.technomate.com/products/TM%252dTWIN-4K....
Thanks, but that's not much use for terrestrial Freeview reception

ARHarh

312 posts

45 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
I use a linux based box, with all the freesat channels but use the Sky epg so i have 4hd and it is free. easy (ish) setup and you get access to all the FTA sat channels.

AJB88

3,525 posts

109 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
ARHarh said:
I use a linux based box, with all the freesat channels but use the Sky epg so i have 4hd and it is free. easy (ish) setup and you get access to all the FTA sat channels.
Zgemma by any chance? I was going to buy a ZGemma and install the Sky epg to replace my Humax as it was playing up but it seems to be working again at moment.


ARHarh

312 posts

45 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
AJB88 said:
Zgemma by any chance? I was going to buy a ZGemma and install the Sky epg to replace my Humax as it was playing up but it seems to be working again at moment.
No Xtrend with 4 dvb-s2 tuners and 1gb hard drive, runs 3 iptv feeds around the house, or iptv feeds to any phone, tablet or pc if you want.

Advertisement

bitchstewie

Original Poster:

18,863 posts

148 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
I got the Manhattan T1.

Makes me laugh how good it is for £34 compared to the inbuilt tuner. Literally sts all over it.

dave_s13

12,003 posts

207 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
I don't get it.

So you can just buy one of these boxes.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and...

Plug it into your dish feeds and it'll give you all the Freesat channels, and also run Kodi too by the look of it? Can they run Netflix, prime and all the other catch up services too?

ARHarh

312 posts

45 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
dave_s13 said:
I don't get it.

So you can just buy one of these boxes.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and...

Plug it into your dish feeds and it'll give you all the Freesat channels, and also run Kodi too by the look of it? Can they run Netflix, prime and all the other catch up services too?
If it runs Kodi then netflix will be available with Addons as will almost everything else

bitchstewie

Original Poster:

18,863 posts

148 months

Wednesday 30th January
quotequote all
OK so it's been a week or so and other than the odd movie I haven't watched Sky at all.

The world hasn't ended.

The £35 Manhattan box is excellent for Freeview but I'm wondering whether it's worth spending a little more for more functionality.

I noticed there are some makes (Zgemma?) that combine Freeview HD with Freesat HD but they look a little "DIY" in that it's proving difficult to understand how the UI looks and feels.

Are they worth looking at?

I would love if there were a "one stop box" that has Freeview, Freesat, NowTV and possibly TV Player inbuilt, but I think that's looking for a unicorn, right?