Netflix - What gems have you found?

Netflix - What gems have you found?

Author
Discussion

chrispmartha

4,203 posts

68 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Tiggsy said:
Felt like being spoon fed the emotions he’s trying to illicit. Just one contrived set piece after another where he gets to be rude to people. ]
That is RG's comedy in a nutshell.

BrabusMog

13,289 posts

125 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
It is starting to sound like I'm one of the only people on PH that liked Derek! I thought The Office was ok, Extras was hilarious (but I think it was the guest stars that made the show, such as Kate Winslet and her take on how to win an Oscar, Gervais' character was a prick and really unlikable) and After Life was again smashing. I guess it shows that humour, like most things in life, is subjective and you can never please everyone.

chrispmartha

4,203 posts

68 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
BrabusMog said:
It is starting to sound like I'm one of the only people on PH that liked Derek! I thought The Office was ok, Extras was hilarious (but I think it was the guest stars that made the show, such as Kate Winslet and her take on how to win an Oscar, Gervais' character was a prick and really unlikable) and After Life was again smashing. I guess it shows that humour, like most things in life, is subjective and you can never please everyone.
Obviously its your opinion and subjective so its your right to enjoy a TV programme but I'd be interested to know why you liked Derek? it might have been OK without all the 'kindness is magic' 'Derek is such a nice guy' rhetoric which was rammed down the viewers throat constantly, the whole thing was utterly bizarre I couldn't get past that to see any actual comedy. I actually thought it was pretty patronising swell especially to care home workers and the elderly.

ashleyman

5,245 posts

38 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Well, Triple Frontier was ok. Not anything special but it passed some time. Wouldn't watch it again.

BrabusMog

13,289 posts

125 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
chrispmartha said:
BrabusMog said:
It is starting to sound like I'm one of the only people on PH that liked Derek! I thought The Office was ok, Extras was hilarious (but I think it was the guest stars that made the show, such as Kate Winslet and her take on how to win an Oscar, Gervais' character was a prick and really unlikable) and After Life was again smashing. I guess it shows that humour, like most things in life, is subjective and you can never please everyone.
Obviously its your opinion and subjective so its your right to enjoy a TV programme but I'd be interested to know why you liked Derek? it might have been OK without all the 'kindness is magic' 'Derek is such a nice guy' rhetoric which was rammed down the viewers throat constantly, the whole thing was utterly bizarre I couldn't get past that to see any actual comedy. I actually thought it was pretty patronising swell especially to care home workers and the elderly.
I liked all the characters, I found it hilarious in places, heart warming in others and down right sad at times. I never felt the "Derek is such a nice guy" rhetoric rammed down my throat personally. Also, my missus worked in a care home when she was younger and doing her medical training, and she found it very relatable and I always find myself enjoying a show a bit more when she is clearly loving it - she recently discovered Trailer Park Boys and I am getting to rewatch it with her and always laugh more when she is laughing! Not sure if that makes much sense.
Advertisement

designforlife

2,377 posts

102 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Watched Triple Frontier lastnight...

Good soundtrack, but I think Isaacs was miss-cast...and it's difficult to empathise with characters who make some increasingly bad decisions in various situations, not what you would expect from decorated and highly trained ex-military (to my mind at least).

The ending also really didn't sit too well with me.

Watchable, but has a few flaws.

Speckle

3,018 posts

155 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Triple Frontier was alright but, as has been said, some of the decisions made by key characters seemed to be at odds with their supposed elite military pasts.

Overall, it was an enjoyable way to pass a couple of hours. Pacing wasn't quite what I would expect but, it wasn't awful - I'd probably give it a 5.5/10, maybe a 6.

I also watched Dirty John at the weekend - that was very good binge-able TV! Really enjoyed it and did not see the final episode coming at all! Easily 8/10

chrispmartha

4,203 posts

68 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
BrabusMog said:
chrispmartha said:
BrabusMog said:
It is starting to sound like I'm one of the only people on PH that liked Derek! I thought The Office was ok, Extras was hilarious (but I think it was the guest stars that made the show, such as Kate Winslet and her take on how to win an Oscar, Gervais' character was a prick and really unlikable) and After Life was again smashing. I guess it shows that humour, like most things in life, is subjective and you can never please everyone.
Obviously its your opinion and subjective so its your right to enjoy a TV programme but I'd be interested to know why you liked Derek? it might have been OK without all the 'kindness is magic' 'Derek is such a nice guy' rhetoric which was rammed down the viewers throat constantly, the whole thing was utterly bizarre I couldn't get past that to see any actual comedy. I actually thought it was pretty patronising swell especially to care home workers and the elderly.
I liked all the characters, I found it hilarious in places, heart warming in others and down right sad at times. I never felt the "Derek is such a nice guy" rhetoric rammed down my throat personally. Also, my missus worked in a care home when she was younger and doing her medical training, and she found it very relatable and I always find myself enjoying a show a bit more when she is clearly loving it - she recently discovered Trailer Park Boys and I am getting to rewatch it with her and always laugh more when she is laughing! Not sure if that makes much sense.
it does make sense yes, but I'd question how it's relatable to a care home , supposedly run by the nicest care worker ever lets an alcoholic hang around perving at the old people and even trying to get in bed with them at points, plus said care worker steals from a deceased elderly person and seemingly cares more about nipping off to try get pregnant, plus the main character putting residents and workers in headlocks and generally been an arse, as I say it may have had some merit as a gross out comedy but the pretence it was some kind of heartwarming look into the human condition really grated on me, I will say I do tend to over analyse comedies too much!

BrabusMog

13,289 posts

125 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
chrispmartha said:
BrabusMog said:
chrispmartha said:
BrabusMog said:
It is starting to sound like I'm one of the only people on PH that liked Derek! I thought The Office was ok, Extras was hilarious (but I think it was the guest stars that made the show, such as Kate Winslet and her take on how to win an Oscar, Gervais' character was a prick and really unlikable) and After Life was again smashing. I guess it shows that humour, like most things in life, is subjective and you can never please everyone.
Obviously its your opinion and subjective so its your right to enjoy a TV programme but I'd be interested to know why you liked Derek? it might have been OK without all the 'kindness is magic' 'Derek is such a nice guy' rhetoric which was rammed down the viewers throat constantly, the whole thing was utterly bizarre I couldn't get past that to see any actual comedy. I actually thought it was pretty patronising swell especially to care home workers and the elderly.
I liked all the characters, I found it hilarious in places, heart warming in others and down right sad at times. I never felt the "Derek is such a nice guy" rhetoric rammed down my throat personally. Also, my missus worked in a care home when she was younger and doing her medical training, and she found it very relatable and I always find myself enjoying a show a bit more when she is clearly loving it - she recently discovered Trailer Park Boys and I am getting to rewatch it with her and always laugh more when she is laughing! Not sure if that makes much sense.
it does make sense yes, but I'd question how it's relatable to a care home , supposedly run by the nicest care worker ever lets an alcoholic hang around perving at the old people and even trying to get in bed with them at points, plus said care worker steals from a deceased elderly person and seemingly cares more about nipping off to try get pregnant, plus the main character putting residents and workers in headlocks and generally been an arse, as I say it may have had some merit as a gross out comedy but the pretence it was some kind of heartwarming look into the human condition really grated on me, I will say I do tend to over analyse comedies too much!
I think you do laugh

The care workers, including the janitor, all seem to genuinely care for the residents.

They also show things that do happen (according to my missus), such as kids treating their parents like st and just being interested in money and care home staff actually sticking up for the residents. It's not an out and out comedy show, but still a comedy, so they include exaggerated characters, but I found it a nice balance of humour and heart warming.

Thesprucegoose

17,258 posts

134 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Derek would have just be as good without him playing it as a spectrum person and just a normal humble man. The problem with RG, he takes the rip out of broad comedy but he always seem to fall into similar broad characters.

chrispmartha

4,203 posts

68 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
BrabusMog said:
chrispmartha said:
BrabusMog said:
chrispmartha said:
BrabusMog said:
It is starting to sound like I'm one of the only people on PH that liked Derek! I thought The Office was ok, Extras was hilarious (but I think it was the guest stars that made the show, such as Kate Winslet and her take on how to win an Oscar, Gervais' character was a prick and really unlikable) and After Life was again smashing. I guess it shows that humour, like most things in life, is subjective and you can never please everyone.
Obviously its your opinion and subjective so its your right to enjoy a TV programme but I'd be interested to know why you liked Derek? it might have been OK without all the 'kindness is magic' 'Derek is such a nice guy' rhetoric which was rammed down the viewers throat constantly, the whole thing was utterly bizarre I couldn't get past that to see any actual comedy. I actually thought it was pretty patronising swell especially to care home workers and the elderly.
I liked all the characters, I found it hilarious in places, heart warming in others and down right sad at times. I never felt the "Derek is such a nice guy" rhetoric rammed down my throat personally. Also, my missus worked in a care home when she was younger and doing her medical training, and she found it very relatable and I always find myself enjoying a show a bit more when she is clearly loving it - she recently discovered Trailer Park Boys and I am getting to rewatch it with her and always laugh more when she is laughing! Not sure if that makes much sense.
it does make sense yes, but I'd question how it's relatable to a care home , supposedly run by the nicest care worker ever lets an alcoholic hang around perving at the old people and even trying to get in bed with them at points, plus said care worker steals from a deceased elderly person and seemingly cares more about nipping off to try get pregnant, plus the main character putting residents and workers in headlocks and generally been an arse, as I say it may have had some merit as a gross out comedy but the pretence it was some kind of heartwarming look into the human condition really grated on me, I will say I do tend to over analyse comedies too much!
I think you do laugh

The care workers, including the janitor, all seem to genuinely care for the residents.

They also show things that do happen (according to my missus), such as kids treating their parents like st and just being interested in money and care home staff actually sticking up for the residents. It's not an out and out comedy show, but still a comedy, so they include exaggerated characters, but I found it a nice balance of humour and heart warming.
Fair enough, I completely disagree, but that's what makes the world interesting. Funnily enough I think Karl Pilkington's character was about the only plausible one, and he was binned off (in another piece of dreadful writing) On Karl Pilkington, I thought his series Sick of It was actually far far better than anything RG has done since Extras

chrispmartha

4,203 posts

68 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Thesprucegoose said:
The problem with RG, he takes the rip out of broad comedy but he always seem to fall into similar broad characters.
Quite, as I say he thinks he's an Auter when his work really isn't deep and intellectual at all

BrabusMog

13,289 posts

125 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
chrispmartha said:
Fair enough, I completely disagree, but that's what makes the world interesting. Funnily enough I think Karl Pilkington's character was about the only plausible one, and he was binned off (in another piece of dreadful writing) On Karl Pilkington, I thought his series Sick of It was actually far far better than anything RG has done since Extras
I haven't seen Sick of It but my BiL said it was ste and we share similar tastes, so I gave it a swerve. I'm sure I'll watch it at some point.

One thing I will say that irritated me slightly about Derek was how often they had him turn around and gurn at the camera, I thought that was a bit OTT but it wasn't enough to detract from my overall enjoyment of the show.

chrispmartha

4,203 posts

68 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
BrabusMog said:
chrispmartha said:
Fair enough, I completely disagree, but that's what makes the world interesting. Funnily enough I think Karl Pilkington's character was about the only plausible one, and he was binned off (in another piece of dreadful writing) On Karl Pilkington, I thought his series Sick of It was actually far far better than anything RG has done since Extras
I haven't seen Sick of It but my BiL said it was ste and we share similar tastes, so I gave it a swerve. I'm sure I'll watch it at some point.

One thing I will say that irritated me slightly about Derek was how often they had him turn around and gurn at the camera, I thought that was a bit OTT but it wasn't enough to detract from my overall enjoyment of the show.
All I would say is Sick of It isn't really a comedy though so don't watch it expecting a laugh a minute!

They had him turn around and gurn so often to ram home that he was 'special' but definitely not disabled or autistic or anything like that, RG is good at acting as RG Derek showed his lack of range.

I'll stop now :-)

chris4652009

1,005 posts

23 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
BrabusMog said:
It is starting to sound like I'm one of the only people on PH that liked Derek! I thought The Office was ok, Extras was hilarious (but I think it was the guest stars that made the show, such as Kate Winslet and her take on how to win an Oscar, Gervais' character was a prick and really unlikable) and After Life was again smashing. I guess it shows that humour, like most things in life, is subjective and you can never please everyone.
I’ve never watched Derek.
I’m only just starting on “the office”

BrabusMog

13,289 posts

125 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
chrispmartha said:
All I would say is Sick of It isn't really a comedy though so don't watch it expecting a laugh a minute!

They had him turn around and gurn so often to ram home that he was 'special' but definitely not disabled or autistic or anything like that, RG is good at acting as RG Derek showed his lack of range.

I'll stop now :-)
laughbeer

Apologies for the thread derailment, chaps!

Does anyone watch Drugs Inc?

ChocolateFrog

3,913 posts

112 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
I enjoyed Afterlife. That and his most recent standup, humanity I think it's called, are the only RG stuff I've enjoyed.

His Little Hampstead s skit is hilarious.

irish boy

2,338 posts

175 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Alex said:
irish boy said:
Black lightning back today after the mid season break if there is any fans in here......
I was enjoying it, but started to lose interest and I'm a few episodes behind now. Worth catching up?
Theres a few quieter episodes but its very solid.

Mafffew

1,329 posts

50 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
SS2. said:
vladcjelli said:
Just watched the end of Umbrella Academy, really enjoyed it.

Ultra violence, with a sense of humour.

Will there be a follow up series?
From what I've read, the writers appear confident Netflix will green light a second season.

I certainly hope they do.
Almost at the end of this, agreed with Blue383's comment, mad as a box of frogs. Good stuff though, a bit of a twist on the usual superhero story. The kid who plays Five is bloody brilliant.

e46m3Mark

12,269 posts

112 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Mafffew said:
SS2. said:
vladcjelli said:
Just watched the end of Umbrella Academy, really enjoyed it.

Ultra violence, with a sense of humour.

Will there be a follow up series?
From what I've read, the writers appear confident Netflix will green light a second season.

I certainly hope they do.
Almost at the end of this, agreed with Blue383's comment, mad as a box of frogs. Good stuff though, a bit of a twist on the usual superhero story. The kid who plays Five is bloody brilliant.
I wanted to like it. I even watched the first 3 or 4 episodes. In the end though, it just did nothing for me and the constant leaping about in time just annoyed me.